Deciding on China

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on November 18th, 2019, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Ghost wrote:Well, I hope both of you have luck. I'm also a big guy and I'll be heading to China just as soon as my visa comes through. I'm going to teach since that is all I can do. I'll try to learn some Mandarin once I'm there and then just be my normal nice self and take opportunities to make new friends and go out. I really hope it works, but if it doesn't...well, after a year I could go somewhere else I guess.
Where I you going to teach in China, Ghost? I will be teaching in Hangzhou sometime in July/Sept. Maybe we can get all of the HA members in China and do a big hangout sometime, lol?
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Well I'll be around in Guangzhou for a while if anyone wants to come here.

But heed the advice about size - Chinese women aren't keen on big fat guys. It's not too difficult to lose weight here, especially if you hate rice and noodles!

Also learn some Mandarin as soon as you can, it will of course impress women but it's also useful for when you want to go shopping, buy a train ticket or catch a bus!

Native speaking English teachers who can also speak Mandarin are a very rare elite here!

The more Chinese I learn the more this country opens up to me.

About online dating, come here and I'll show you the REAL LIFE WOMEN who inhabit my local shopping district. Then you'll probably agree they're way hotter than dating site women.

Also women on dating sites get very picky and some are on there for years waiting for true love.

My mate's never used a dating site and he's had a lot more action than I have! All it really takes is good game. Forget learning the language - his Mandarin is terrible. But I just saw him with a girl on the back of his bike, and she's 24 years younger than he is.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
The Professor
Freshman Poster

Post by The Professor »

zboy1 wrote:
Jerry8787 wrote:Well my friend and I are both 6'1", we are both white, I'm more darker because I'm half Italian, we are from the US, we live in Iowa, I'm looking for a family oriented one man women, religion isn't a big deal, someone who loves me for me and would stand next to me, not behind or in front but equal, as for age range since I'm still in my mid 20's I don't want anyone over 30 now when I do go if I happen to meet someone a little over 30 and I feel a strong connection I will pursue it. As for his physique, he is a high school football coach and played football in college as a linebacker, he's big but most is muscle.
I don't think China is a good fit for you two, imo. Asian women (in Asia, not Asian American women) tend not to like big, tall, stocky White men. I agree with Kai1275 sentiments. Why don't you pick Eastern Europe, Russia, or Latin America--where the women like those types of figures in men?
I have to agree here.

Women in asia mostly like really thin guys. What is considered average in America is fat in Asia, what is just a little overweight in America is obese here, and what is considered just fat in America is disgustingly obese here.

At 200 pounds you'll be considered morbidly obese and your friend will be considered a walking freak show at 300 pounds. I weigh less than you do and I'm considered fat here in china. I've been losing weight recently though. I probably weigh 30 pounds less than you do, and I'm "fat" here.

Just look at how thin the average young guy in china is, that's average, and that's what you have to compete with. Keep in mind, in china they like thin guys.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

The Professor wrote:
zboy1 wrote:
Jerry8787 wrote:Well my friend and I are both 6'1", we are both white, I'm more darker because I'm half Italian, we are from the US, we live in Iowa, I'm looking for a family oriented one man women, religion isn't a big deal, someone who loves me for me and would stand next to me, not behind or in front but equal, as for age range since I'm still in my mid 20's I don't want anyone over 30 now when I do go if I happen to meet someone a little over 30 and I feel a strong connection I will pursue it. As for his physique, he is a high school football coach and played football in college as a linebacker, he's big but most is muscle.
I don't think China is a good fit for you two, imo. Asian women (in Asia, not Asian American women) tend not to like big, tall, stocky White men. I agree with Kai1275 sentiments. Why don't you pick Eastern Europe, Russia, or Latin America--where the women like those types of figures in men?
I have to agree here.

Women in asia mostly like really thin guys. What is considered average in America is fat in Asia, what is just a little overweight in America is obese here, and what is considered just fat in America is disgustingly obese here.

At 200 pounds you'll be considered morbidly obese and your friend will be considered a walking freak show at 300 pounds. I weigh less than you do and I'm considered fat here in china. I've been losing weight recently though. I probably weigh 30 pounds less than you do, and I'm "fat" here.

Just look at how thin the average young guy in china is, that's average, and that's what you have to compete with. Keep in mind, in china they like thin guys.
It depends. I am about 190 but I used to bodybuild, so I have big muscles. At 5'8" at that and I get plenty of attention. Some of them like muscles too. If you guys played football, just get back into football shape and stop eating 10,000+ calories again and it should fall off in no time. Big quads and arms are okay, just do not look like you are lugging it, like some of the nasty dudes and women in the US do.
The Professor
Freshman Poster

Post by The Professor »

xiongmao wrote:It's not too difficult to lose weight here, especially if you hate rice and noodles!
I actually think hating rice and noodles will make you more likely to gain weight here in china. If you're not into rice and noodles and other common foods in china, you'll probably just end up eating at McDonalds or KFC, both of which are ubiquitous in China, at least in any of the parts that a laowai would be living in.

A thread about dieting in China sounds like a pretty good idea.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I believe I'm gradually losing weight. Who knows, as I've not used any scales since I left England. All I have to go on is that my trousers now fall down without a belt, and I'm using the inner notches of the belt. So I'm pretty sure I have lost weight.

To be honest I eat a load of junk here. I cook mainly pasta, snack on bread and assorted other junk. I drink gallons of beer, but the stuff here is quite weak. I go to McDonalds more than I should.

What has changed though is that I don't eat so much, and if you want to lose weight, the AMOUNT you eat is way more important that WHAT you eat.

I don't have a TV here, so I'm no longer grazing on snacks all night. I use my computer more, but it's harder to snack and type!

Plus I walk a lot here, and there are subtle ways of exercising here. Like the fact that our University doesn't have any lifts. And how many steps are there out of the local metro station? 50? 500? 5000? Who knows.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Deciding on China

Post by yick »

Bringing this up from years ago but information I am about to give might be relevant.

I am 6ft 2ins, north of 100 kgs and built like a discus thrower - big arms, big legs, broad shoulders and carrying excess weight but I do carry it well. I am a big dude - now, for Chinese girls - do they like this kind of physique and I am here to tell you they might not all like it but there are a lot that DO! :lol:

This country has a fair amount of tall men and strong men but the kind of physique that you find in the west, broad shoulders, big legs and a big chest is very very rare here, people here (both men and women...) are a lot more narrower built, their ribcages aren't as wide (which is why it is hard for any man weighing over 90kgs/200lbs/14 stone to find clothes off the peg here) - which is why a Chinese girl with big boobs can cover her assests a lot easier than a western girl can because her ribcage and shoulders are a lot narrower and you only find out when they strip off (wahey...) being in China a while, you know when they have big boobs even if they're covering them up - but this is another topic altogether and I am digressing.

So, broad shoulders and wide chests are rare here but there are women who like this kind of physique - a lot. I have had tiny girls of barely 5ft and 45 kilos chase me around this place :lol: I always used to think 'what the hell are you going to do with me? It would be like expecting a dwarf to ride a Harley Davidson' :lol: but what you have to remember about Chinese girls is that they all love to feel 'small and cute' so if you think about taller Chinese girls - not that rare at all to have some of them 5ft 8ins and taller - you are going to have to be a big lump to make them feel 'small and cute' and it is a lot of these girls who would love such a fellow. I have some beautiful Chinese women tell me they dig me and I am a big lump. Depends what you look like though, if you look like Shrek then it might be harder but I bet there will be Chinese girls who will dig you if you are over 6ft and look strong and capable.

Of course, being obese and slovenly isn't going to get you anywhere (nor is small and chubby), it is all about looking 'strong' and in the provinces here, the men still roll up their shirts to reveal their gut in the summer because being fat in this country - and especially outside the main tier one cities - doesn't have the negative connotations that it does in the west - especially for men - being fat still has connotations of wealth, power and stability - like I said, I wouldn't expect an obese guy puffing his way down the street to do that well - but if you are 300lbs and are built like a linebacker and are tall and reasonable looking - you'll have your fans. Of course, there are women who like the male lesbian look of the pop stars here who would blow away to the other side of town in a gust of wind and there are women who wouldn't date a foreigner if you had the physique of Usain Bolt but there are women who who like (LOVE) big, strong, solid physiques in this country - and there aint enough for every young lady who wants one. :lol:

As for flying in and out and getting romance in China - it just isn't how it works here, here, girls need to get to know you - which is why PUA would never ever work here. Even if they love you on first sight - they will get to know you on pain-on-death. If you want to find a Chinese wife, take a year and come here to live - I wouldn't guarantee it then but that is the only way to do it.

NB: If you're a shorter guy and you're not muscular or in shape, you're best off getting into shape. The taller you are, the easier you can get away with carrying a few extra pounds of kilos.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

yick wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 6:55 pm
Bringing this up from years ago but information I am about to give might be relevant.

I am 6ft 2ins, north of 100 kgs and built like a discus thrower - big arms, big legs, broad shoulders and carrying excess weight but I do carry it well. I am a big dude - now, for Chinese girls - do they like this kind of physique
No, they like little white guys like me, loser.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Cornfed wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 7:43 pm
yick wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 6:55 pm

I am 6ft 2ins, north of 100 kgs and built like a discus thrower - big arms, big legs, broad shoulders and carrying excess weight but I do carry it well. I am a big dude - now, for Chinese girls - do they like this kind of physique
No, they like little white guys like me, loser.
:lol: