Living in Thailand - An American in Bangkok

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Living in Thailand - An American in Bangkok

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

Hello...been living in Thailand for the past 17 years, traveled around most of Asia and other parts of the world. Been to Russia twice, Colombia, Nicaragua, Netherlands, and like I said, just about everywhere in Asia.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Welcome AnAmericaninBangkok.

So how did you find us? What do you like about Thailand? What advantages are there to living there?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yeah, what's it like to live there? I'm currently in Southern China. I am getting a little old to be dating 20 something girls, so maybe I'd be better in Thailand.

China is OK but it's not that much fun here. Everyone seems too busy to go to bars and let their hair down. And dating here is quite hard work.

I just wonder about the weather though. Is it just too hot? I find Guangzhou isn't a bad temperature - not even had the aircon on yet.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Winston wrote:Welcome AnAmericaninBangkok.

So how did you find us? What do you like about Thailand? What advantages are there to living there?
So how did you find us?

You've been around for quite some time Winston so your reputation proceeds you.

What do you like about Thailand?

As I said, I've been all over Asia and other parts of the world, including Colombia and Russia. Thailand is the most laid back of any of the places, it's cheaper than the U.S. (not always cheap), the women tend to be very attractive, and now I've been married for many years to a Thai and we have children together so I've settled here.

What advantages are there to living there?

Low cost of living and relaxed lifestyle. If you're single, the women are excellent. But before getting serious with any woman here, I always suggest you get to know the language and the culture. It makes it much easier to know if they're sincere.
xiongmao wrote:Yeah, what's it like to live there? I'm currently in Southern China. I am getting a little old to be dating 20 something girls, so maybe I'd be better in Thailand.

What's it like to live here? Hmmm...hard to say now since I've been here for a long time. It's home now but I always feel like an outsider. Thais will say, "Oh, you are Thai now." First, I don't want to be Thai, and second, they may say this but it's not true. I'm a farang (gweilo) to them and always will be.

China is OK but it's not that much fun here. Everyone seems too busy to go to bars and let their hair down. And dating here is quite hard work.

I've been to Beijing and Hui Li. I was in Beijing for the Olympics, 2 weeks, and in Hui Li for a week. Both times I was working so I didn't have much time to go out. But in Beijing I met several university students and they were nice. But as far as romance, it definitely seems more restricted and difficult. I find Singapore to be the worst of all the Asian countries simply because the women are always talking about work and making money. I find that irritating. I work to live, not live to work so my philosophy is different than most Chinese / Singaporeans.

I just wonder about the weather though. Is it just too hot? I find Guangzhou isn't a bad temperature - not even had the aircon on yet.
It can be extremely hot. From April to June or July it can be brutal at times. But that's what air-conditioners are for. Actually, if you live in Chiang Mai or Pattaya or down in Phuket near the beach the whether is tolerable.

What I always say to people wanting to move here is that living here is not the same as coming on holiday. There is no perfect place, Utopia, or paradise. Every place has it's positives and negatives. Thailand has irritants and has great things about it. Food, inexpensive housing, friendly people, and the laid back atmosphere are positives. Greed, discrimination, and attitude by some Thais are negatives....along with people jumping the queue in 7'11 (which I always say something about so they know it's rude) and doing stupid things like standing in front of an escalator with their entire family to make decisions. When you're in hurry or having a bad day, these little irritants become a pain in the ass.

As far as the cost of living, I made a little price guide PDF (it's only 8 pages and it's free) to give people a better idea of what things cost in Thailand.

http://www.anamericaninbangkok.com/ebook-download.html
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Thanks!

Yeah I have plenty of irritations to deal with here in China.

I'm glad I didn't come here when I was 20, I just wouldn't have had the tolerance for the crap that I have to put up with.

The queue jumping is an irritation, especially to a Brit who was taught from an early age how to queue.

Also Chinese guys can be jerks so much of the time but you have to take it on the chin because you just don't know who's packing a knife, or who's a kungfu expert.

On the upside, being a good mannered guy will win you many many boyfriend points!

Also I hate people throwing litter everywhere, and people handling all the dry foods in supermarkets. I even saw a little kid playing with the rice.

And learning the language is always recommended. Not least because you're much less likely to get scammed.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
BeaconofLight
Freshman Poster

Post by BeaconofLight »

Hi AnAmericaninBangkok,

I'm fairly new here, too. You have an interesting background and it sounds like you lived the life by being abroad. Have you had a chance to stop by Cambodia?

You mentioned that you were in Colombia for a period time. I would like to know of your experience of being in Colombia was like and how much did you like it?

Some general questions: How long were you there? What's your opinion of the women and Colombia's dating scene? What did you think of the culture? Do you think it would be difficult to live there and obtain citizenship? Any negative experiences/opinions? Anything else you can add? And how does it compare with Thailand, which sounds like your favorite country.

I'm wondering because Colombia is a place I really want to visit (and South/Central America) after I finish my time in the military and if I like it, I might want to live there if it's feasible. Colombia sounds like it might be a good fit for me. I just heard good things about it from its food, weather, beaches, cost of living, its women and dating scene.
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set ye free
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

I've spent quite a bit of time in Cambodia and have been there between 30 and 40 times.

My time in Colombia was limited to two weeks. I had no negative experiences there and thought it was a place where I'd like to spend more time. One thing I noticed is the women take very good care of themselves, even the fat chicks were sexy.

I'm older and no matter where I am I feel it's best to take any relationship very slow. Thai women are pretty mellow, which I like, Colombians can be aggressive and forward. I like both but in terms of a relationship, I prefer mellow as there's less drama.

In comparison to Thailand...again, I only spent two weeks in Colombia but my feeling is that Thailand is a much easier, laid back place to live. BTW - I would definitely visit a few times, or 6-12 months before deciding to move to a place.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Living in Thailand - An American in Bangkok

Post by Winston »

Hey check this out everyone. An American in Bangkok now has podcasts on his site. They cover topics that you guys will be interested in, such as the shitty feminism and politics of the West, mistakes to avoid in Thailand, etc. Here is a list of his archived podcasts below. His rants are entertaining, truthful, no-nonsense and no holds barred. You gotta love how confident he sounds too, like a tough guy from a rough neighborhood (e.g. NY Bronx) during the 70's and 80's. lol

http://www.anamericaninbangkok.com/podcast.html

Also, when Rock and I were in Bangkok, we did our own podcast with An American in Bangkok as well, which was more like a free-flowing round table discussion around a coffee table than a formal podcast. Here is the link to listen to that:

http://www.happierabroad.com/podcasts/A ... ailand.mp3
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Just listened to the podcast...but at some point had to forward it, could not take all the *cuss words

You know you are listening to a Trailer Trash American wannabe tough guy..When he can't join two English words without adding F word between it :lol: :lol:

Common, Winston you can do better.

80% of the talk was about p***y and girls....I truly believe Americans are obsessed with women and sex...This guy was angry because he could not find cheese, Macaroni in a store in Thailand... :lol:

and the comparison between Thailand and Philippines and His life story and how tough he was and beat up Thai's and a European guy etc...It was all about HIM...He wanted to make all others looks small and weak by his tone it seemed.

There was no real substance in the Podcast..All same repeated cliche's revolving around Nana Plaza, Patpong, Massages...NO NEW OBSERVATION OF THAILAND

Atleast, next time. you can give a brief summary on what topics you would talk....

My head is still spinning with too much F words man..Non Americans are not used to F words...This was TOO much of a GHETOO Interview...He looks white but has too much Black Vibe in him :lol: :lol:

I would want to listen.

1. New Places in Thailand to hang out

2. Good Food, Restaurants to try

3. Cost of Living

4. Conspiracy...Chem-trails, Autism, Vaccines...Ancient Thai's belief in Flat Earth etc

5. Of-course Girls but some new angle to it...that we have not heard a BILLION TIMES ALREADY ONLINE :lol: :lol:
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Just had my dinner but couldn't get the podcast out of my mind.

The guy is FAKE Winston...Common..I thought you would have detected it long time back...

How you know one is a fake, when one shares only his Wins on Podcasts

All three fights he mentioned....Punched the dutch/danish guy ..WON ..Fought with Two Thai guys...WON...This is too much... :twisted: :twisted: ...You want the listeners to believe nothing happened to him in Thailand, when he beat up a Thai guy who was with another Thai person and no one ganged up on him and he just walked away even when cops showed and what you know...Thai Cops sided with him....WHAT THE F...Are you sure..You were in Thailand?...There is a thing called LOOSING FACE...A Thai would die before he looses face with a farang and we know Thai cops always sides with a fellow Thai but he is special..he is American..So laws bend because he has a White American A**...

and The thing he did in Mall of Asia, Philippines..Disrespecting a Security guard who was merely doing his job and jumping the Line is NOT SMART..D**CK HEAD...Now I have to use his line...You are been an A**hole in Asia..Moron..

Imagine, if everyone jumps the queue and takes Taxi's...and this Guy calls Philippines a Third world, when his behavior is Ghetto...

-------------

If he was genuine...he would have shared his losses, since he claims to be fighter..like a normal human being...and told us...man i got my a** handed down in Thailand ...Never fight in Thailand...One time I was in a club, had an argument and I was kicked down to the floor and had few broken teeth and what not...

This is how normal life unfolds for normal human beings...share of losses...now a days, more losses than Wins...and this guy...kept on winning, everywhere he was in his life aka FAKING IT :lol: :lol:

-------------

His Vibe is so dark...He says he is 53 years old but still can't say two words without saying F words in between...

I needed to write all this...to get this guy out of my system....What is the need for human beings to FAKE so much?? is the only question I have now :| :| :( :(
SeanLeeB
Freshman Poster

Post by SeanLeeB »

anamericaninbangkok wrote:Hello...been living in Thailand for the past 17 years, traveled around most of Asia and other parts of the world. Been to Russia twice, Colombia, Nicaragua, Netherlands, and like I said, just about everywhere in Asia.

Hello there! So what it your nationality? I've been living in Bangkok for more than 5 years now. I envy you since you've been to different countries. I also want to explore the world especially Asia as I want to experience their culture and learned from them too.