Real (Organic) Food Cost Abroad.

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Real (Organic) Food Cost Abroad.

Post by zacb »

What I mean by real is organic and free of crap. I was wondering about various places and how expensive their real organic food is. What do you think of Colombia, Philippines, and Thailand? Are all their vegetables, fruits, meats, etc. the real deal? Or are they bad as the west?
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

It depends on if their vegetables, fruits & meats are imported or grown locally. It also depends on where the animal & plant seeds come from. Organic means grown without persticides. Although in some cases the seeds are GMO modified like corn, apples, tomatoes, which defeats the purpose of growing the plants organic, because that's also very bad for the body. I have the same issues with food. :( I won't be surprised if I own my own farm one day.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Plenty of fruit and vegetables here in China, but goodness knows if it's healthy. I guess it's better to eat fresh stuff than processed stuff though.

Food can be really cheap here but what they don't tell you is that it's mostly junk. Yeah, you can live in Thailand on $1 or $2 a day but only if you like eating insides of animals or generally poor quality produce.

Also cheap processed stuff here is just generally full of sugar, it's so cheap they haven't thought about putting any kind of flavour stuff in.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

29 baht = $1.

You can buy one serving of watermelon and pineapple from a fruit vendor for 10 baht each. A coconut is now 30 baht but the price fluctuates and I can sometimes get them for as low as 24-25 baht. I bought a bundle of 5 large bananas today for 25 baht. Fruit and vegetables here can be bought very cheaply if you go to a produce market and have an established relationship with the vendors.

That said, many drinks and foods here have an insane amount of sugar. Thai women have gotten bigger and so have the men and it's because of their love of McDonalds, KFC, potato chips, soda, and all sorts of junk food that can't be found in the west.

I'm actually considering going on a raw diet with one cooked meal a day. I always feel better when I'm eating raw foods. The hard part is getting enough food to stay full.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

I grow my own veges from kitchen scraps potted in 5liter water bottles on my balcony. When you but fresh celery, basil, mint, cilantro, any green thing; take a few stalks & stick them firmly in potatoes then place them in soil, they will grow. I cut my bottles length-ways to get maximum capacity/space. The Lettuce scrap, the stalk you cut off at the bottom can sprout again, just place it in fertile soil. Every time I need salad I just clip off a few lettuce leaves & it regrows again & again. Feel free to buy proper pots lol :oops:
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Carrefour in China appears to do organic vegetables. They're roughly 3-4x the price of ordinary vegetables. Also they tend to be a lot smaller.

I should grow some stuff on my balcony. Plants grow astoundingly fast here. My pitcher plant is now twice the size compared to when I bought it in early March, and they're not even easy plants to grow.

C4 plants like corn and pineapples will grow incredibly quickly here.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

xiongmao wrote:Plenty of fruit and vegetables here in China, but goodness knows if it's healthy. I guess it's better to eat fresh stuff than processed stuff though.

Food can be really cheap here but what they don't tell you is that it's mostly junk. Yeah, you can live in Thailand on $1 or $2 a day but only if you like eating insides of animals or generally poor quality produce.

Also cheap processed stuff here is just generally full of sugar, it's so cheap they haven't thought about putting any kind of flavour stuff in.
In South China, especially in the country, I LOVE buying fruit from the markets or off the side of the road. Full of juices, sweet, and huge, like the watermelons and grapes. Xiongmao you need to get one of those giant white grapefruits!!!! They are not sour either! Juiciest fruit ever!! Have one of your lady's peel it and feed it to you.

My favorite fruit is the Chinese Pear actually. The juice runs down your face when you bite into them. I don't eat fruit while in the US, but I eat lots of it in China. I also get sad when I land in the US, and throw away all my un-eaten fruit in the trash because I don't want any drama with the customs agents.... :cry:

Fruit and veggies in China are most likely all organic because they don't really grow stuff like Americans do on mega farm$. The MEAT however! Who f***ing knows! LOL
Anything in a can or a bag? Processed food there? Good luck with that shit!
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomelo

I think that is what that grapefruit is called in English. Pomelo...
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

kai1275 wrote: Xiongmao you need to get one of those giant white grapefruits!!!! They are not sour either! Juiciest fruit ever!! Have one of your lady's peel it and feed it to you.
Yeah, whatever they are, those things are nice, like giant non-sour lemons.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

My kids teach a little Thai in the below video and the subject is fruit. One of the fruits is the Pomelo or Som-O in Thai.

http://youtu.be/sz7uBreH35Q