Trip Report, sort of. Mexico City (5/3 - 5/7 2013)

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Trip Report, sort of. Mexico City (5/3 - 5/7 2013)

Post by djfourmoney »

I recently returned from a trip to Mexico City.

First off, if you wanna to continue to believe your Government and Mainstream Media accounts of violence; Or if your Black and want to say Mexico is dangerous because of what MIGHT have happen to Malcom X's grandson, then stop reading now.

My life was never threaten and the kabuki is on our side of the broader not theirs.

Now about the trip -

I went down mainly to connect with a friend I had met on another forum who is from Brasil. She went to Mexico City for vacation with her male friend. Both are professionals, speak English and Spanish.

They had a week on me and were sight-seeing in earnest. I was able to join them for some sight-seeing and general convo/getting to know each other sort of thing. Because of some cellular issues with TelCel, we didn't meet as often as we could as most communication was happening over Facebook and not via the phone, email or text.

In any event, it went well and I even got into an exclusive event with DJ Freddie Le Grande for free. Don't ask, I put it down to being a Gringo but who knows, I was handed a ticket by a security guard.

The highlights where Xochimilco Lake and the previously mentioned event at Centre Banamex. The low lights were missing each other to go to the Museo Nacional de Antropología and the Teotihuacan.

The only other things I can report is that Mexico City and Mazatlan is where you wanna be for White skinned Latinas (Flacca).

Now for some Do's and Don't.

Do stay at a hostel. No reason to pay $50-$60US a day for a standard 4 star hotel. I paid $12 and shared a dorm. I had a lock on my locker and they had security cameras in the halls with 24hr front desk support. Most of you reading this have no mac skills so the chances of you bringing a woman back to your hostel is slim and none. If by the narrowest of margins you do hook up with a so-so looking woman, then pay $50 for one night in a nice place say in Zona Rosa or something.

Get a SIM from TelCel (120 pesos/$12US) and pay for data depending on your stay. I should have paid for 1GB of data which would be more than enough for the five days I was in town (200 Pesos/$20US).

Eat cheap; Plenty of hole in the wall taco stands, anywhere from 20-40 Pesos, complete meals, taste great, no health issues!

Learn Spanish! Nobody speaks English outside of the hospitality sector and I'm serious about that. You will need basic Spanish to get even minor things. I had to reset my Samsung Android phone when some joker at a independent TelCel store set the swipe lock screen on my phone and disappeared. They wanted to charge me 120 pesos to unlock it. Ridiculous, I know what I am doing with Android phones and it sucks I had to reset it back to stock and rebuild the rom the way I want, but I wasn't going to give them any money. This is why knowing some Spanish is important. Some people will try to trick you thinking your a stupid Gringo.

Besides that, my trip was incident free.

Finally make sure you have undamaged US dollars, as some of the higher end exchanges (with better rates) will not take even minorly damaged bills. I had to go back to the airport and exchange two damaged $20 bills.

No p***y reports, because I barely know Spanish and my friend is not a love interest.

However that will change when I go to Brasil in Aug/Sept. That was one of the reasons I wanted to meet my friend, she's from Belem.

Oh I should mention, I bought my ticket at the last minute (on the day before I left) it was $322 ($200 + Fees). I hear Volaris goes for about $250 out of LAX if you buy about a month out, that's unconfirmed though. As I said hostel was $12 a day, total spent including food and Metro pass (40 Pesos lasted the entire trip, its 1 Peso to ride) is $552 including getting some Wendy's at GWB on the way back home. I could have gotten a direct flight back to LAX but I picked the wrong ticket, price was the same.

There is no excuse for the rest of you, those of you working get paid vacation and should use it for trips like this. Lots of information out there if you're willing to look.
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Re: Trip Report, sort of. Mexico City (5/3 - 5/7 2013)

Post by aozora13 »

djfourmoney wrote:I recently returned from a trip to Mexico City.

First off, if you wanna to continue to believe your Government and Mainstream Media accounts of violence; Or if your Black and want to say Mexico is dangerous because of what MIGHT have happen to Malcom X's grandson, then stop reading now.

My life was never threaten and the kabuki is on our side of the broader not theirs.

Now about the trip -

I went down mainly to connect with a friend I had met on another forum who is from Brasil. She went to Mexico City for vacation with her male friend. Both are professionals, speak English and Spanish.

They had a week on me and were sight-seeing in earnest. I was able to join them for some sight-seeing and general convo/getting to know each other sort of thing. Because of some cellular issues with TelCel, we didn't meet as often as we could as most communication was happening over Facebook and not via the phone, email or text.

In any event, it went well and I even got into an exclusive event with DJ Freddie Le Grande for free. Don't ask, I put it down to being a Gringo but who knows, I was handed a ticket by a security guard.

The highlights where Xochimilco Lake and the previously mentioned event at Centre Banamex. The low lights were missing each other to go to the Museo Nacional de Antropología and the Teotihuacan.

The only other things I can report is that Mexico City and Mazatlan is where you wanna be for White skinned Latinas (Flacca).

Now for some Do's and Don't.

Do stay at a hostel. No reason to pay $50-$60US a day for a standard 4 star hotel. I paid $12 and shared a dorm. I had a lock on my locker and they had security cameras in the halls with 24hr front desk support. Most of you reading this have no mac skills so the chances of you bringing a woman back to your hostel is slim and none. If by the narrowest of margins you do hook up with a so-so looking woman, then pay $50 for one night in a nice place say in Zona Rosa or something.

Get a SIM from TelCel (120 pesos/$12US) and pay for data depending on your stay. I should have paid for 1GB of data which would be more than enough for the five days I was in town (200 Pesos/$20US).

Eat cheap; Plenty of hole in the wall taco stands, anywhere from 20-40 Pesos, complete meals, taste great, no health issues!

Learn Spanish! Nobody speaks English outside of the hospitality sector and I'm serious about that. You will need basic Spanish to get even minor things. I had to reset my Samsung Android phone when some joker at a independent TelCel store set the swipe lock screen on my phone and disappeared. They wanted to charge me 120 pesos to unlock it. Ridiculous, I know what I am doing with Android phones and it sucks I had to reset it back to stock and rebuild the rom the way I want, but I wasn't going to give them any money. This is why knowing some Spanish is important. Some people will try to trick you thinking your a stupid Gringo.

Besides that, my trip was incident free.

Finally make sure you have undamaged US dollars, as some of the higher end exchanges (with better rates) will not take even minorly damaged bills. I had to go back to the airport and exchange two damaged $20 bills.

No p***y reports, because I barely know Spanish and my friend is not a love interest.

However that will change when I go to Brasil in Aug/Sept. That was one of the reasons I wanted to meet my friend, she's from Belem.

Oh I should mention, I bought my ticket at the last minute (on the day before I left) it was $322 ($200 + Fees). I hear Volaris goes for about $250 out of LAX if you buy about a month out, that's unconfirmed though. As I said hostel was $12 a day, total spent including food and Metro pass (40 Pesos lasted the entire trip, its 1 Peso to ride) is $552 including getting some Wendy's at GWB on the way back home. I could have gotten a direct flight back to LAX but I picked the wrong ticket, price was the same.

There is no excuse for the rest of you, those of you working get paid vacation and should use it for trips like this. Lots of information out there if you're willing to look.
+1

Glad you are finally trying to tell the guys here if you go outside, you can do well.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Great report, thanks.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Good trip report.

About learning Spanish, well it must be f***ing easy because half the words are the same!

And good tip about taking undamaged US dollars - I had exactly the same problem in China! Don't take any USD with writing on, tears or staples in.

Latinas seem quite nice, I've met a few here. I just wish they were a bit taller.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

xiongmao wrote:Good trip report.

About learning Spanish, well it must be f***ing easy because half the words are the same!

And good tip about taking undamaged US dollars - I had exactly the same problem in China! Don't take any USD with writing on, tears or staples in.

Latinas seem quite nice, I've met a few here. I just wish they were a bit taller.
I figure learning Portuguese will allow me to learn Spanish much faster. The difference is the nasally pronunciation of the same words.

It will happen much faster when everybody around you speaks Portuguese and hardly any English. There is English speaking group in Sao Paulo, I may check that out, but frankly I think that will impede the learning process.

I am also looking to go off the tourist trail, though I may start in Belem where my friends live.

I wish some of them were taller too, I saw a few white/flacca stunners on the Metro but they were both about 5'0-5'2... Long Jet Black hair, Brown Eyes, Petite, Pretty Face....

I would like to go back and plan on it, though it might be awhile.

terminator
Junior Poster

Post by terminator »

Awesome trip report. I'm glad you've decided to go to Brazil next - see guys, even if you hate your trip, it can give you ideas of where to go/or to miss next time.
travelsouth
Freshman Poster

Post by travelsouth »

The food is really good in Mexico City. I'd like to know what parts of the city you visited. I do think there are some minor safety issues and in the past you really had to worry about the cabs, but I think it is overblown in the USA for sure.

If you go to the right places you can party with some pretty upscale women that know some English.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

travelsouth wrote:The food is really good in Mexico City. I'd like to know what parts of the city you visited. I do think there are some minor safety issues and in the past you really had to worry about the cabs, but I think it is overblown in the USA for sure.

If you go to the right places you can party with some pretty upscale women that know some English.
I'm sure the food is good in Mexico as you say, travelsouth. The fear-mongering about the food in some countries is the same thing I read and heard about from some people about China; it turns out, the food in China is really good--and I have even been losing a lot of weight in the process!

Chinese food is really tasty!
viewtopic.php?t=20102&highlight=food+china

When overseas, how come so many people lose weight?
viewtopic.php?t=20419&highlight=food+china