Want to Work/Live in PI?

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

PM me if you want to support yourself by teaching English online to Russians and Chinese. It's grueling but fun work and I did it. If you are willing to teach 8 hours per day- intermittently- then you can make about 2K a month which is very good life in the Philippines. It will take time to get all the students though.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

---

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

__
Last edited by E Irizarry R&B Singer on May 18th, 2013, 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Mr S wrote:
Hero wrote:I was considering this certification. Is it not good enough?

http://www.oxfordseminars.com/Chicago-t ... ish-abroad
Not really.
If it's "not really" not good enough, then doesn't that mean that it is, in fact, adequate?

See? I'll make a great English teacher! :D
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Hero wrote:
Mr S wrote:
Hero wrote:I was considering this certification. Is it not good enough?

http://www.oxfordseminars.com/Chicago-t ... ish-abroad
Not really.
If it's "not really" not good enough, then doesn't that mean that it is, in fact, adequate?

See? I'll make a great English teacher! :D
It'll only be good for lower end jobs in select countries, the pay will be the lowest possible to attract teachers. Yes, it may work in certain lower end for profit schools run by men who don't know anything about teaching, however if you grow tired of those kind of jobs, which you will after a year or two realizing it doesn't get any better, then you will want to pursue the better paying opportunities. But alas, you won't qualify cause you will have a piece of paper that isn't any better then designing your own certificate on your computer and printing it out. You should only do certificate programs that are properly accredited by recognized universities, if not your just wasting your money. I should know I made the initial mistake you are planning to make. I rectified it by getting a Masters degree. If people don't listen as usual to others who have made mistakes and trying to warn others not to do the same on this forum, what's the point of contributing anymore? It's like I'm spinning my wheels here.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Mr S wrote:It'll only be good for lower end jobs in select countries, the pay will be the lowest possible to attract teachers. Yes, it may work in certain lower end for profit schools run by men who don't know anything about teaching, however if you grow tired of those kind of jobs, which you will after a year or two realizing it doesn't get any better, then you will want to pursue the better paying opportunities. But alas, you won't qualify cause you will have a piece of paper that isn't any better then designing your own certificate on your computer and printing it out. You should only do certificate programs that are properly accredited by recognized universities, if not your just wasting your money. I should know I made the initial mistake you are planning to make. I rectified it by getting a Masters degree. If people don't listen as usual to others who have made mistakes and trying to warn others not to do the same on this forum, what's the point of contributing anymore? It's like I'm spinning my wheels here.
Hey, lighten up, man. 8)
Rocky Top
Freshman Poster

Post by Rocky Top »

xiongmao wrote:I also have a PhD and I've had plenty of job offers for teaching English even though I don't have a teaching certificate.

Teaching is really a last resort though - there are better jobs out there if you dig around (especially if you're not that interested in teaching).
I'm an electrical engineer and I have been searching for months now for jobs in Malaysia, PI, Brazil, Thailand.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Rocky Top wrote:
xiongmao wrote:I also have a PhD and I've had plenty of job offers for teaching English even though I don't have a teaching certificate.

Teaching is really a last resort though - there are better jobs out there if you dig around (especially if you're not that interested in teaching).
I'm an electrical engineer and I have been searching for months now for jobs in Malaysia, PI, Brazil, Thailand.
It's almost impossible to find other non-teaching jobs overseas unless you're willing to be an educator. Having your own business, pension/investments or become a teacher, that's about it nowadays regarding how to survive outside your home country.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Mongol
Freshman Poster

Post by Mongol »

Hi all, seasoned lurker/first time poster on this forum (I've been contemplating a move to the Phillipines, and a Google search for expats and their experiences brought me to this fantastic site). I am a Chinese-Canadian, and like everyone else here, I've recognized the potential goldmine there is for an enriched lifestyle outside of North America; and this is coming from a fellow who has had relatively good success with courting girls both in and outside of my own ethnic group here in Ontario.

Would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has recently relocated to the Manila area, and what the current climate is like for foreigners looking to secure employment in the finance/accounting space. One of my plans is to start a business, but I would like to work for a couple of years just to get acclimatized to the local customs//fads/etc.

I also have the resources to invest in real estate, but my understanding is that foreigners are not able to own land so only condos are an option, for which only up to 40% of any one condominium building can be owned by foreigners which may severely limit the areas in which one may potentially invest. For what its worth, I was thinking of purchasing real estate around the local universities etc. Does anyone have any insight investment condo market and price/rent ratios etc.? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Greetings.

I live in Bangkok. So it's not the Phillies, but there are expat jobs here. Unemployment is low here, and there aren't many smart people here.

I've applied for one or two jobs here. In Asia it's who you know that counts, so start building contacts.

Rock showed me a bit about the condo business. I like the yields here, but I don't like buying property in a country I don't trust. And I don't trust anywhere in Asia. So I'm happy with my property back in the UK, while I'm out here.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Mongol
Freshman Poster

Post by Mongol »

Xiongmao, thanks for the feedback; much appreciated.

I've been to Bangkok, and although I love Thailand, I think it would be an easier transition going to Manila due to the fact that a lot of people speak English. On that note, which industry are you in and what kind of jobs did you apply for? Was it through a headhunter or through your own referral network? I've got a ton of friends in Asia, but most of them are centralized to HK/Singapore...I've got nothing to offer and the cost of living is insanely high in both those cities, so it is difficult to get ahead.

Point noted on country risk regarding SE asia and RE ownership, but its a risk I've already committed my mind into potentially jumping into, much like many multi-nationals are now doing over in Myanmar...as long as the numbers work. It would obviously be better to own RE here in TO, but the market is way out of whack in Canada...CDN$700/sq ft pre-contstruction LOL.

Anyone else have any experience with condo ownership in Manila?