Sexual harassment of white women in India

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Sexual harassment of white women in India

Post by zboy1 »

Traveling while Female

A blog on street harassment, sexual harassment and sexual assault for women traveling to India, South Asia.

http://travelingwhilefemale.blogspot.co ... 0556174914

Why India is not safe for solo women

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/trave ... women.html

'Eve-Teasing' Makes India's Streets Mean for Women

http://womensenews.org/story/sexual-har ... aABOZzIjZU

White Woman's Woe :
http://www.martinfrost.ws/htmlfiles/jan ... males.html
I know a Romanian student who is studying classical dancing on scholarship in Delhi. One evening, an autorickshaw driver extended his hand and tried to grope her thighs. She hit him so hard with her bag that he is not likely to forget that in a hurry. Many foreign women I've met have similar India stories to tell.

Why do Indian men behave so badly with foreign women?

Recently they arrested a security guard in a backwaters resort in Kerala for trying to molest two Canadian girls aged 12 and 14. The family cut short their holiday and left. The police in Goa are looking for a man who allegedly raped a British woman after giving her a lift. An American tourist was sexually assaulted in a temple in Pushkar. A guesthouse owner in Udaipur is accused of raping a journalist from England. The list is endless. All this and more happened in the last month or so.

If this state of affairs continues, word will spread that India is no longer a safe place for women to travel. In Saudi Arabia, women are not allowed to drive, they cannot teach male students or treat male patients. We are much more civilised. We just don't allow them to walk safely on our streets, especially if they happen to be white.

By the time you read this, the alarm bells would have rung in the Union tourism ministry, and the minister would have called a meeting to see how female visitors can be protected from our desi louts. The situation might improve for a while in the coming months, but you can bet your tourist dollar that it will be business as usual after that.

Sudhir Kakar, who lives in Goa, says that a white woman walking alone there is likely to be stopped by someone on a motorcycle and asked point-blank, "Do you want to be f*****d?" Or words to that effect. Kakar is an authority on human behaviour and I asked him why this should be so. "The Indian woman is a maa, a beti or a bahu for these men. The white woman, on the other hand, is fair game. She is a whore."

Sexual harassment of women is a worldwide problem. They get their bottoms pinched in Rome. In New York, men on construction sites will make lewd remarks to pretty women passing by. The behaviour of Indian men is less innocuous; there is nothing playful about it. He wants to bed that woman, nothing less. And he is prepared to use force if necessary. He has the impression that westerners treat sex as casually as shaking hands.

This is racism, but there is more to it. Indian men prefer fair women to dusky ones. And there is nothing fairer than white. If you need convincing on that point, I suggest you turn to the matrimonial pages of our Sunday newspapers. All the potential brides have fair complexions. The dozens of creams in the market that claim to whiten the skin all do brisk business.

An Indian man may not be willing to marry a white woman but, if he had a choice, he would prefer to have sex with a white woman rather than an Indian one. There are other factors involved in the harassment of white women—lack of sexual outlet, men still being virgins well past puberty, sometimes frigid wives—but the colour of the victim's skin plays an important part. You will not find African women being harassed in this country.

Tourists are more vulnerable. They usually haven't been long enough in the country to read the signals right, to figure out that their polite response to what seems to be a helpful, friendly gesture is often construed as a readiness for sex. White women who have made India their home have less of a problem. They have taken to wearing salwar kameez, they have some knowledge of Hindi, which establishes their local credentials, they don't accept invitations for a drink or a movie or a ride from men they do not know. They have learnt how to freeze someone who is too persistent in his attentions or getting uncomfortably familiar, and to walk in a manner that puts out a clear signal: don't mess with me.

The Lonely Planet guide advises female tourists to refrain from wearing sleeveless blouses, tight-fitting clothing or from trying the bra-less look. "Getting constantly stared at is something you'll simply have to get used to. Just walk confidently and refrain from returning male stares, as this may be considered a come-on."

That's sound advice. The Indian woman would have learnt these tricks with her mother's milk!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

I would like to be protective of all women. And I don't doubt that White women get targeted as ego-boosts to people who see themselves as racially inferior.

But I should add that, in many societies, women traveling alone are going to be presumed to be sexually active and available. If they don't want this presumption, perhaps they should stay home.

Women are valuable and worth protecting. If they shrug off protective male authority, they learn what the world is like. Especially the uncivilized world.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

Jester wrote:I would like to be protective of all women. And I don't doubt that White women get targeted as ego-boosts to people who see themselves as racially inferior.

But I should add that, in many societies, women traveling alone are going to be presumed to be sexually active and available. If they don't want this presumption, perhaps they should stay home.

Women are valuable and worth protecting. If they shrug off protective male authority, they learn what the world is like. Especially the uncivilized world.
That is one of the things i said to a few people recently and I am sure they thought I was being crazy/sexist. The world is NOT a "my little pony ride" adventure for privileged rich girls. Their mouths and attitudes can protect them here for the most part. Anywhere else? They are good as dead and no local will be arrested for it. Most of the world outside of the West does not put women on pedestals at all....Especially the Middle East and Asia.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

kai1275 wrote:
Jester wrote:I would like to be protective of all women. And I don't doubt that White women get targeted as ego-boosts to people who see themselves as racially inferior.

That is one of the things i said to a few people recently and I am sure they thought I was being crazy/sexist. The world is NOT a "my little pony ride" adventure for privileged rich girls. Their mouths and attitudes can protect them here for the most part. Anywhere else? They are good as dead and no local will be arrested for it. Most of the world outside of the West does not put women on pedestals at all....Especially the Middle East and Asia.
You really get it (when it comes to this, very concept). That is why the next time I see an AW abroad and she mouthes off or does something that she thinks she's diplomatically-immune against me (if the country we are in happens to be a pro-male country), she's getting wrecked and probably alot of my Anglosphere frustrations will be unleashed unto her through the job. I won't kill her. I won't rape her, but I'll revive some 70s checks-and-balances style on her for sure!!
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

Unless you're with a local, I don't see ANY reason why a western women should go abroad. Outside of the west, it's a man's world. Always will be.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

In Taiwan there is a TV show called "WTO 姐妹會", featuring foreign-born spouses and residents in Taiwan. This week they had an Indian guest on the show who said that she and her friends used to play hookie from school to go watch movies. One reason why they would all go in a group is for protection. If a girl sat at a movie theater with strangers behind her, chances are that some random creep would try to grope her from behind, or even from under her seat. So they would only go to the movies in a group and sit in a group. Any lecher dumb enough to try and grope one of the girls will have a group of students jump him and beat him up.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

C.J. wrote:Unless you're with a local, I don't see ANY reason why a western women should go abroad. Outside of the west, it's a man's world. Always will be.
And God-willing and I am a passive agnostic lol
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

momopi wrote:In Taiwan there is a TV show called "WTO 姐妹會", featuring foreign-born spouses and residents in Taiwan. This week they had an Indian guest on the show who said that she and her friends used to play hookie from school to go watch movies. One reason why they would all go in a group is for protection. If a girl sat at a movie theater with strangers behind her, chances are that some random creep would try to grope her from behind, or even from under her seat. So they would only go to the movies in a group and sit in a group. Any lecher dumb enough to try and grope one of the girls will have a group of students jump him and beat him up.
Thanks for the forewarning. I am the only dude whom has self-proclaimed to be the groper of H.A.
Anonymous1
Freshman Poster

Post by Anonymous1 »

C.J. wrote:Unless you're with a local, I don't see ANY reason why a western women should go abroad. Outside of the west, it's a man's world. Always will be.
India or Somalia...is a big no no......but she most likely wouldnt get raped in Japan....hell even in SEAsia is women friendly.....India is just a bad place for any woman India is a cesspool of sexually frustrated stinkbombs
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

kai1275 wrote:

+1

You said it better than I did.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

momopi wrote:In Taiwan there is a TV show called "WTO 姐妹會", featuring foreign-born spouses and residents in Taiwan. This week they had an Indian guest on the show who said that she and her friends used to play hookie from school to go watch movies. One reason why they would all go in a group is for protection. If a girl sat at a movie theater with strangers behind her, chances are that some random creep would try to grope her from behind, or even from under her seat. So they would only go to the movies in a group and sit in a group. Any lecher dumb enough to try and grope one of the girls will have a group of students jump him and beat him up.
Jesus.

f**k India - at least as far as living there.

I repeat - f**k India.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

India is a sausage fest with super repressed men and oppressed women. The treatment towards women is more akin to the darkest recesses of the fundamentalist islamic middle east than it is with NE/SE Asia. That's why I always laugh when clueless white people idealize India as this fantastic place of spirituality, democracy, and holiness. It's a dirty dank sausage fest. It can be interesting to see some of the sites but probably not worth it overall unless you want to hang out at GOA with the rest of the hippies.