Bizarre Things That Americans Do

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

You can add worshipping overweight narcissistic women to the list.

http://www.businessinsider.com/things-a ... rld-2013-5
Bane
Freshman Poster

Post by Bane »

Completely agree with this list. Especially numbers 1, 4, and 10.

For #1, this is especially true. I remember reading an article by an Irish visitor to the US, and he said something along the lines of Americans are so obsessed with driving, when they need to go to a convenience store 2 blocks away, they hop into their SUV, drive there, park in the handicapped spot, and leave the engine running. Typical wasteful attitude.

For #10, I don't understand the obsession with your college long after you have graduated. I HATED college, and couldn't wait to get my degree and leave. I really haven't thought about my experience since then.

I would also add #14: Shaming men at every opportunity, while glorifying female attitudes and narcissistic behavior.
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." -Oscar Wilde

"Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability is in the opponent" -Sun Tzu
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

What a horrible list with weak examples. What the heck about:

-Hyperconsumerism and "buying things" like they're programmed robots. If Apple released the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 6 within six months of each other, millions would by both!

-Buying McMansions which are large, cheaply built and poor quality homes that give Americans the air of affluence.

-Love affairs with pick-up trucks for no practical reason.

-Americans mangle spoken English with uh, ah, ya know, like, and they use stupid hyperbole like awesome, I love it, fabulous, incredible, etc.

-Americans are fake when they say "Great to see you, Let's hang out, Come over sometime, etc."

That's just the tip of the iceberg.....
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
-Americans are fake when they say "Great to see you, Let's hang out, Come over sometime, etc."
Yes very true. All the people you think are your best friends actually hate you and secretly hope for your failure. I've met lots of people that smile at me with the expression of hatred on their face. The rate of narcissism is so high yet hardly anyone seems to notice.

That's one of the biggest reasons I moved to the Philippines, I don't really enjoy the company of my own "friends" and "family". Moving to the other side the world was my not so subtle way of showing it.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

MAKES THIS THREAD A ________!!!!
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Another anti-American-idiosyncratic classic thread for redundant's sake:

http://www.fluentin3months.com/no-usa-for-me/
Killhoffa
Freshman Poster

Post by Killhoffa »

Taco wrote:
Yes very true. All the people you think are your best friends actually hate you and secretly hope for your failure. I've met lots of people that smile at me with the expression of hatred on their face. The rate of narcissism is so high yet hardly anyone seems to notice.

That's one of the biggest reasons I moved to the Philippines, I don't really enjoy the company of my own "friends" and "family". Moving to the other side the world was my not so subtle way of showing it.

+10000000000, I find it strange how some people smile at you or have a conversation with you, yet when your not around they wear your a$$ out. Its amazing how Americunts can turn that switch on and off LOL! Some people I've known for yrs just woke up one day and completely stopped communicating with me and acted as though I had done something to them. In that case I did do something to them, I did not conform to acts of flakiness, imitational behavior, and bland personalities, with narrow minded views in every aspect of life!
A WOMAN'S THOUGHTS DO NOT DEFINE A MAN; NOR DO HER EXPECTATIONS DICTATE HIS LIMITATIONS!
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on January 13th, 2020, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

Ghost wrote:-Bury their noses in their phones and display nothing but anti-human behavior

-Drive around parking lots for 30 minutes when they could have just parked a few spaces away, walked slightly farther, and saved 25 minutes

-worship c**ts no matter how high the cost may grow
THIS!

I lost count how many times my ex-wife and I fought over parking. I like to park in the back, (so no one would scratch my nice car), and walk. She hated that.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 26th, 2016, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

kai1275 wrote:I lost count how many times my ex-wife and I fought over parking. I like to park in the back, (so no one would scratch my nice car), and walk. She hated that.
I HATE the automobile mentality! Surprisingly, this is why thousands of men can't get a decent, even mediocre job in the USA. Here's a secret, companies actually weigh prospective employees, based on whether or not they actually have a car and can transport themselves to any location desired. This is because, since companies are throwing away employees because the higher-ups want more money, they want more employees in different locations to work portions of the chain around their state.

Anyone who can't do this is considered "dead weight" and is less valuable than employees who can drive/readily transport themselves on-call. I shit you not! I actually got this and many other ways to snake into jobs from employees/managers at MANY stores, including some I was not considered at. Some bosses wanted to hire me, because they know my previous boss from my time at an OfficeMax, who referred me with a good word. But they were under pressure from THEIR bosses NOT to hire me because I couldn't work early mornings(4am!), much less go to any store within 20 miles on short notice. America's working world is f***ed UP! This has been happening in full force since the year 2000.
TashaB wrote:Okay so "we are fake". Only a mentally challenged person would tell someone "No it's not good to see you, I hate you" or "It's terrible to see you Taco"
Fake people are just unhappy losers. I'm gonna tell you what I feel, but I'm not gonna fight about it. It feels GOOD to get stuff off your chest. You feel BETTER. If I don't like someone though, I'm not gonna fake liking them. Not only is it retarded, it's just good common sense! You can even NOT like a person, but still respect them, or even evetually grow to like them after NOT liking them! This is why westerners lack emotional depth. :D
TashaB wrote:Women are women. Either you turn us on or you turn us off. That's not every woman's fault.
Actually, IT IS! I collectively blame ALL OF YOU for my problems in dealing with SOME OF YOU! That's why I'd rather f**k you(cuz ur a hot bundle of genes lol), than f**k with you! And TBH, men are guaranteed to be much happier this way! :lol:
Maverick
Junior Poster

Post by Maverick »

Taco wrote:

This hasn't been the case in my experience.. Personally, my family, friends, and even coworkers and bosses have been mostly genuine. Of course, there have been exceptions, but I've found them to be very helpful and kind, overall. I actually don't mind women here either in a non-dating setting. Once you begin dating them, it is usually extremely unpleasant (with a few exceptions).
In2dadark
Freshman Poster

Post by In2dadark »

Can hardly talk about peculiarities of the U.S. w/o mentioning the incarceration rate. We spend 40k or more a year to warehouse people for victimless crimes.
matthewcoury
Freshman Poster

Post by matthewcoury »

this one is especially telling

11. All the pomp and circumstance surrounding prom

I have cousins who live in the US and just hearing about the number of hoops they had to jump through to ask someone to a dance is hilarious. — Saysthingsfromabush

In Scotland our equivalents are ceilidhs and in school you just go and f***ing dance. Concept of building up the courage to ask someone to a ceilidh is simply ridiculous. "hey would you like to come and get bruised with me doing some fast dances to violins?" As is tradition. — Reducto_Absurdum