Advice guide from the "Socrates" of international

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Winston
Site Admin

Advice guide from the "Socrates" of international

Post by Winston »

The best advice guide I've ever seen about choosing the best country for you, by my cultural consultant, an intellectual world traveler and writer who speaks nearly 10 languages. He is so deep that I dub him "The Socrates of international culture", for his insights and observations are comparable to Plato's works about Socrates. The guide covers a broad scope of multi-national factors to consider. It’s a must read that goes over things that you wouldn't have thought to consider, including taboo subjects. By reading it, you benefit from the author’s many years of traveling, experiences, and observations.

http://forum.internationalliving.com/vi ... .php?t=491
Last edited by Winston on September 3rd, 2007, 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elliot72
Freshman Poster

Post by Elliot72 »

Oh my god, Winston! I've been reading that thread for about 30 minutes and I still haven't finshed it. :) That is what I like.

She seems to be WAY more articulate and rational about cultural differences! Her writings compliment yours very well.

What a gold mine of information!!

While I am uncecided about where I want to go first, her writings have made me even more so.

I'm probably going to South Africa first, just because I have been corresponding with someone over there. Seems a fairly safe place to start, although I don't know how long I would be willing to stay.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Elliot72 wrote:Oh my god, Winston! I've been reading that thread for about 30 minutes and I still haven't finshed it. :) That is what I like.

She seems to be WAY more articulate and rational about cultural differences! Her writings compliment yours very well.

What a gold mine of information!!

While I am uncecided about where I want to go first, her writings have made me even more so.

I'm probably going to South Africa first, just because I have been corresponding with someone over there. Seems a fairly safe place to start, although I don't know how long I would be willing to stay.
W: Thanks, but my consultant is a "he" though, not a she. I'll pass your comments on to him though. He is on vacation now, but when he returns, he will try to find time to be an advisor on this forum. As I said, he is the Socrates of international culture. :)
Dr. Atuw
Freshman Poster

South Africa...

Post by Dr. Atuw »

... "a fairly safe place to start"???

Do you have any IDEA about the level of crime in South Africa? Any freaking clue?

--> Lesson for the day: Do basic research about a country before considering traveling there!
Elliot72
Freshman Poster

Re: South Africa...

Post by Elliot72 »

Dr. Atuw wrote:... "a fairly safe place to start"???

Do you have any IDEA about the level of crime in South Africa? Any freaking clue?

--> Lesson for the day: Do basic research about a country before considering traveling there!
The crime problem there is exactly why I'm not very willing to stay over there for long. The one I'm writing and calling over there talks almost constantly about the crime and how it's concentrated in the cities.
gmm567
Freshman Poster

Post by gmm567 »

yeah the country is going to hell. I've met south africans here in the US.

Most sane people are getting the hell out. It's just too dangerous.