Thinking about dropping out of college

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

Thinking about dropping out of college

Post by Mr.Darcy »

I'm going to learn C plus plus, and web site making and use these skills to make money. Anybody else do something similar to this? What's the best way to start? My college won't let me take a computer science class because I didn't take chemistry lol wtf screw college. Off course, all my peers are going to be against my decision and think I'm an idiot.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

germanguy
Freshman Poster

Re: Thinking about dropping out of college

Post by germanguy »

Mr.Darcy wrote:I'm going to learn C plus plus, and web site making and use these skills to make money. Anybody else do something similar to this? What's the best way to start? My college won't let me take a computer science class because I didn't take chemistry lol wtf screw college. Off course, all my peers are going to be against my decision and think I'm an idiot.
What about finishing College just to have a back-up plan? That´s basically what I am doing at the moment...
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Re: Thinking about dropping out of college

Post by kai1275 »

Mr.Darcy wrote:I'm going to learn C plus plus, and web site making and use these skills to make money. Anybody else do something similar to this? What's the best way to start? My college won't let me take a computer science class because I didn't take chemistry lol wtf screw college. Off course, all my peers are going to be against my decision and think I'm an idiot.
What is your major? What kind of work are you wanting to do after school?
djeanp7898
Freshman Poster

Post by djeanp7898 »

I would advise not to drop out of college.

I went to technical school years ago and yes the first year or semester you take a bunch of bullshit courses, but once you get through that you'll get into the meat of your curriculum.

The degree will open more doors for you than you just out there freelancing.

Get the degree, then do what you want. Have that piece of paper to fall back on.

Also, who's to say that you can't make money AND do college? Make it work, my friend.
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr.Darcy »

I'm accounting, but I hate my college so much. I hate the town it is in and I hate the people here. All the other colleges in my state suck ass too.
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

Accounting? Are you a Cancer? :) Accounting is great if you're decent at it. Also, that's one of the few professions which aren't completely overstaurated, as exceptional accountants need to pass extra difficult tests.

Your best bet if you want to earn some decent money without years of education, is to be an early adopter.

Take advantage of the web app boom and learn Java/Objective-C/HTML5/libgdx and also learn PHP/CSS/Flash. You'll be ready for the new Ouya console and also ready to develop web apps. Then take your skills to freelancing sites or make your own dev team.

If you wanna be a console programmer, make sure to be good at C++/ASM/C#.

But get on the marketplaces early! You can make the most money with the least amount of effort in that case. Which means you'll only spend a couple months on learning new languages. :)
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

You need to start thinking in the long-term. What is your best case scenario in 10 years? Whatever that is, start working toward that now. If dropping out of college furthers that goal, then drop out.

There is no focus in your thinking, just reactive discontent.

Write your financial, romantic, and career goals down on paper; then start crafting your strategy to achieve them. You deserve nothing in life that you did not EARN.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on January 13th, 2020, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will N. Dowd
Junior Poster

Post by Will N. Dowd »

I dropped out of university after my 1st year and never went back. It was useless for me to even go there for that year, and so I did the bare minimum there, just enough to pass. When I was there, I realized that going to class was essentially useless if you read the textbooks, since class just taught the textbooks. So if you didn't read the textbooks you could skip class, but if you went to class, you didn't need to read the textbooks. Spending any more time there would have been a very bad move, because it provided so benefit for what I wanted to do. If I could go back I would have not even have done that 1 year, it was a total waste.

Quitting was the best thing I did. I did what I really wanted to then and started to sell electronics in different retail stores eventually working my way up to selling luxury equipment to rich people, buying a condo in 2002, paying it off in 2010 and now selling or renting it in 2013 and becoming a HA sexpat in the next few months. In pretty much any sales field including mine, experience is what you need, and you need it fast. Their is no limit in how much you can make in sales, even with no "education".

My parents, especially my father didn't approve of my decision, since he had been saving for my my education since I was born. Problem was he didn't know anything about the field I went into, but assumed since it was retail and didn't require a degree that it was a dead end low paying job. He was wrong. Even for the first ten years of my job he was still trying to convince me to go back to school! Then in the last ten years when he saw how much money I was making and how good I was he admitted I had done very well for myself and I had a solid job. Through out all of this my poor brother, who had an arts degree and a law degree, was bouncing between government contract jobs and was frequently on employment insurance, and he is now back in school again looking for a 3rd degree just to get a job, while I am retired!

Needless to say my parents would haven ever guessed that this would happen. Throughout school my brother was always a good student and got great marks, while I was the mediocre underachiever who didn't really care, and just did the bare minimum to pass. I even went to two fancy boarding schools, in including one where Prince Andrew went, but still didn't really care much. I even failed high school math! Then when I started working and had to use math all the time, it finally clicked and I now am a math wizz.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

Will N. Dowd wrote:I dropped out of university after my 1st year and never went back. It was useless for me to even go there for that year, and so I did the bare minimum there, just enough to pass. When I was there, I realized that going to class was essentially useless if you read the textbooks, since class just taught the textbooks. So if you didn't read the textbooks you could skip class, but if you went to class, you didn't need to read the textbooks. Spending any more time there would have been a very bad move, because it provided so benefit for what I wanted to do. If I could go back I would have not even have done that 1 year, it was a total waste.

Quitting was the best thing I did. I did what I really wanted to then and started to sell electronics in different retail stores eventually working my way up to selling luxury equipment to rich people, buying a condo in 2002, paying it off in 2010 and now selling or renting it in 2013 and becoming a HA sexpat in the next few months. In pretty much any sales field including mine, experience is what you need, and you need it fast. Their is no limit in how much you can make in sales, even with no "education".

My parents, especially my father didn't approve of my decision, since he had been saving for my my education since I was born. Problem was he didn't know anything about the field I went into, but assumed since it was retail and didn't require a degree that it was a dead end low paying job. He was wrong. Even for the first ten years of my job he was still trying to convince me to go back to school! Then in the last ten years when he saw how much money I was making and how good I was he admitted I had done very well for myself and I had a solid job. Through out all of this my poor brother, who had an arts degree and a law degree, was bouncing between government contract jobs and was frequently on employment insurance, and he is now back in school again looking for a 3rd degree just to get a job, while I am retired!

Needless to say my parents would haven ever guessed that this would happen. Throughout school my brother was always a good student and got great marks, while I was the mediocre underachiever who didn't really care, and just did the bare minimum to pass. I even went to two fancy boarding schools, in including one where Prince Andrew went, but still didn't really care much. I even failed high school math! Then when I started working and had to use math all the time, it finally clicked and I now am a math wizz.
Be careful taking advice from genius-like/talented people like Will. You may not be as smart as he is or naturally as business savvy as he is. Certain people like Bill gates, zuckerberg, etc. are rich for a reason. Not everyone can drop out of school and become a bad ass entrepreneur. Their talents and intelligence levels are extremely high. Smart or dumb, you need skill sets. Everyone needs at least 1 good skill. Accounting or IT, you need a f***ing skill set so you can afford to do whatever the f**k you want and your talents may take you to the next level.
Killhoffa
Freshman Poster

Post by Killhoffa »

Yes you need skills, but honestly College is a hustle, they don't give a fack if you find a job or not. When I went to truck driving school I paid over $4200 dollars for a three week course had over 17 different prospects and land a job making close to $48,000 my first yr out and this year June 16 will be my 2 yr anniversary on the road, I got friends that have their own trucks and make more than Doctors, I know driving a truck isn't for every one, but if I knew back then, when I was 18, what I know now; I would of ran my happy a$$ off to drive trucks, but find something you like and are passionate about. If you believe you will benefit from finishing College do that. Do what you feel and what is necessary for you to succeed. Just understand that the people with hands on skills are still employed, while your keyboard Romeo's are searching for employment, I say this not to be discouraging, but I've seen them come through truck driving schools, and other tech or vocational institutes!
A WOMAN'S THOUGHTS DO NOT DEFINE A MAN; NOR DO HER EXPECTATIONS DICTATE HIS LIMITATIONS!
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr.Darcy »

I feel like college is a scam used by the zionist fed to get us more in debts. Notice how college is institutionalized in to us from birth and it is an equivalent of a sin to not go to it unless your going to the armed forces. Despite that, the richest man in the country dropped out of college.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

Mr.Darcy wrote:I feel like college is a scam used by the zionist fed to get us more in debts. Notice how college is institutionalized in to us from birth and it is an equivalent of a sin to not go to it unless your going to the armed forces. Despite that, the richest man in the country dropped out of college.
And if Bill Gates is a chief in the New World Order, you may be falling into a trap too trying to mimic him. The rich men that were not born that way were either super lucky, or super smart. If you think you can match that, go for it. There is a reason why over 85% of all restaurants in America fail within their first 2 years. Entrepreneurship is HARD and still requires some luck too. Good luck whatever your decision.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

kai1275 wrote:
Will N. Dowd wrote:I dropped out of university after my 1st year and never went back. It was useless for me to even go there for that year, and so I did the bare minimum there, just enough to pass. When I was there, I realized that going to class was essentially useless if you read the textbooks, since class just taught the textbooks. So if you didn't read the textbooks you could skip class, but if you went to class, you didn't need to read the textbooks. Spending any more time there would have been a very bad move, because it provided so benefit for what I wanted to do. If I could go back I would have not even have done that 1 year, it was a total waste.

Be careful taking advice from genius-like/talented people like Will. You may not be as smart as he is or naturally as business savvy as he is. Certain people like Bill gates, zuckerberg, etc. are rich for a reason. Not everyone can drop out of school and become a bad a** entrepreneur. Their talents and intelligence levels are extremely high. Smart or dumb, you need skill sets. Everyone needs at least 1 good skill. Accounting or IT, you need a f***ing skill set so you can afford to do whatever the f**k you want and your talents may take you to the next level.
It has nothing to do with that these day's, it all has to do with how well you suck the credit monopolies cock plain and simple. All these people who are billionaires had connection to credit dolled out by our real rulers, the Koch brothers are probably the last of the true self made billionaires and from what I am reading because they want free and open markets the credit monopoly is now taking aim at them to transfer their wealth to the state which the credit monopoly controls.

The creditors decide where to shovel the credits in order to arrange things how they see fit, being mainstream is for drones plain and simple. I know it's hard to be your own man and find your nitch today in todays world but if you choose the mainstay and you are a person of free will and thought it is pretty much a guarantee to be miserable the rest of your life.
Time to Hide!
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Yes, the West of today is really a communist dictatorship where the PTB decide what you get. Skills are largely irrelevant economically. I would have though that if the OP is black the reason to complete a degree would be to give the system an excuse to give him some bullshit affirmative action "job".