Has anyone considered foreign service officer?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
mrmillersd
Freshman Poster

Has anyone considered foreign service officer?

Post by mrmillersd »

I love traveling, exploring, and international relations /economics. Has anyone considered joining the US Foreign service to meet women abroad? You cant always chose where you are stationed, but at times you can chose your travels once you gain more expereince.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

AnonymousAmerican
Freshman Poster

Post by AnonymousAmerican »

can you explain more on that
A bartender told me this while I was in Guadalajara Mexico:

"If you aren't careful here with the women, you will be married in a week."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMNPv_HXffQ

how I live my life.

how to survive in the US: viewtopic.php?t=19236
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Wouldn't foreign service officers consist entirely of ruling class tossers and their house pets (females, darkies etc.) now?
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

You will be assigned as embassy staff. A good job and great perks. Downsides? No freedom to go where- and do or say what you want . Pretty much a well paid lackey. My opinion.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Cornfed wrote:Wouldn't foreign service officers consist entirely of ruling class tossers and their house pets (females, darkies etc.) now?
Maybe politically appointed diplomats. Foreign Service officers are career civil servants who have to pass a fairly demanding written test, so you could at least argue that they are the products of a meritocracy. It's not an easy gig to get, and I'd imagine it's littered now with affirmative action hurdles.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Has anyone considered foreign service officer?

Post by Jester »

mrmillersd wrote:I love traveling, exploring, and international relations /economics. Has anyone considered joining the US Foreign service to meet women abroad? You cant always chose where you are stationed, but at times you can chose your travels once you gain more expereince.
I used to get the "PhilFaqs" newsletter, and he pushed this hard, for his fellow aging vet expats ALREADY living in the Philippines, as a way to get a good-paying job.

The exam is easy if you're a news and history and politics and geography/travel junkie like me and quite a few guys on here.

The other factor is, you need to be able to list your whole work record, including gaps. Same with any government or financial job.

Plus it's a year-long process to get hired.

If my "career" hadn't been so spotty, I would do it myself. Piece of cake. But for me I couldn't even count all the jobs I've had, let alone list them.

Told my recent-grad son about taking the Foreign Service exam, but no dice....... noone listens to Dad.

Five different employment tracks, some are very non-political. Just arrange the embassy picnic, things like that.
AnonymousAmerican
Freshman Poster

sounds like my kind of job. I am a news/history/geography junkie. for once, it will pay off being that. in high school, people would look at me weirdly for being that.

how I live my life.

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

AnonymousAmerican wrote:sounds like my kind of job. I am a news/history/geography junkie. for once, it will pay off being that. in high school, people would look at me weirdly for being that.
You will be in your element.
AnonymousAmerican
Freshman Poster

Jester wrote:
AnonymousAmerican wrote:sounds like my kind of job. I am a news/history/geography junkie. for once, it will pay off being that. in high school, people would look at me weirdly for being that.
You will be in your element.
lol. I just want to finish my degree first.

how I live my life.

Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

I looked into it a long time ago and let me just say that your life will be under a microscope. You will get assigned to a lot of different places for 2 year stints. In some real hellholes too since the choice locations aren't always available. On the plus side I guess you can work yourself up to becoming a full blown diplomat or ambassador but that's after 20+ years working for the government. The lack of freedom though is something to consider.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on January 13th, 2020, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Ghost wrote:I can't really imagine anyone here being able to stomach working for DaddyGov as a lackey...
Well for me I just figured do it 2 years to get situated abroad. Not forever. Instead of online work, which I find lonely.

For my sons, pretty much the same. I was just looking for a way to entice them abroad. Figured they would spread their wings and fly, once out of the U.S. birdcage.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

ladislav wrote:You will be assigned as embassy staff. A good job and great perks. Downsides? No freedom to go where- and do or say what you want . Pretty much a well paid lackey. My opinion.
Another downside is that you can't be a freethinker. You will have to pretend to agree with every US foreign policy and side with the US on all issues, even when they are wrong. And you cannot criticize your own government too.

There are websites with more info on it. One of them even had Colin Powell on the front page welcoming you to foreign service. lol

Here is one I found:
http://careers.state.gov/officer

Here is the criteria it lists:
http://careers.state.gov/officer/is-the ... ht-for-you

As you can see, being willing to live in dangerous areas and hazardous situations is one of them.

Here is an interview with a guy who works as a foreign service officer:
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/04/2 ... rdiplomat/
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne