Good things about America

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
mguy
Junior Poster

Good things about America

Post by mguy »

So much hate is coming for America. I don't think it's that bad. So how about a thread of positivity? Life is not all about dating anyways.

I like the infrastructure
I like innovation culture -- as if our future lies in our fate
I like social safety nets that allows one to live dreams (some works some doesn't but at still its good we have it)
I like the weather in some parts, especially the seasons
I like the peace and the order
I like it being quiet
I like the value of work -- maybe not for material gain -- but that Americans are looking for mastery
I like the products that come from here
I like most people here, really, even some females are good people too

There's a lot to like about America. I have to admit this is still one of the best countries in the world.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

I think the natural environment is hard to beat in America. You can find a wide variety of stunning scenery and environments everywhere. Asia is very polluted and dirty. Even when you go to natural preserves around Asia there's a general feeling of neglect.

Customer service and goods. It's good to be a consumer in the U.S. because businesses generally make sure the consumer is satisfied. Plus there's a wide variety of products that can be purchased at a price much cheaper than the rest of the world. Apple products, quality furniture, cars, etc.. are all much cheaper in the U.S. Developing countries tack on outrageous import taxes to everything.

Real estate value. Some people may disagree with this but I still find U.S. real estate to be amongst the best values in the world. The subprime thing was due to scams in the financial sector but per sqf U.S. real estate is hard to beat. There are some markets where things are pretty overpriced but the amount of land and the quality of the houses you get is better than most countries in the world.

Social mobility. It's still pretty easy to map out a path to middle class if you're a poor immigrant who has some motivation and ability to learn. It's probably not better than let's say Sweden but it's pretty good when compared with the rest of the world.

Overall cost of living. If you don't live in the major cities and focus on tier 2 the overall cost of living is way cheaper than anywhere in western Europe.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

In response to points of OP:

(1) For years American infrastructure has been given a "D" grade by an organization of civil engineers. It is falling apart, and governments won't/can't fund its renovation.

(2) I haven't noticed much innovation in the US in a couple of decades. Second part of sentence is a tautology.

(3) Social safety nets are considered the weakest of any western industrialized nation.

(5) The "peace and order" are increasingly coming at the cost of militarized law enforcement and roided up monster cops with hair trigger tempers. SWAT teams raiding low stakes poker games, and such:

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/07/%E2%80% ... f_control/

(6) Depends on where you live.

(7) "Mastery?" A sense of craftsmanship? I've known a lot of Americans, but have never known one who seemed to be motivated by this.

(8) Are you thinking of any products that are actually made here? I thought all we actually, physically produced any more were weapons.

(9) Different strokes for different folks. You can find good people and jackasses anywhere, but, as is often noted on this website, American culture has many forces that impel people toward mindless materialism and narcissism. You almost have to step outside the mainstream culture to be a decent person anymore.

I'm resigned to living in the US most of the year, and putting the best possible face on it. I know other countries come with their own sets of problems. But I'm not going to sugarcoat what's going on here.
Last edited by gsjackson on July 11th, 2013, 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Agree with all of repatriate's points.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

gsjackson wrote: (5) The "peace and order" are increasingly coming at the cost of militarized law enforcement and roided up monster cops with hair trigger tempers. SWAT teams raiding low stakes poker games, and such:
A lot of cops in the U.S. are shitheads but try dealing with truly corrupt police in the developing world. They are just as likely to openly rob you than to help you. :lol: Plus people can get away with murder pretty easily in some developing world countries. Miscarriage of justice is absolutely normal in countries like Thailand whereas in the U.S. it's still more uncommon and at least something can be done about it.

Plus there's no question that the U.S. overall has a more lawful disposition in society. Many Latin American cities have worse burglary, robbery, etc.. rates than the south side of Chicago. There are quite a few charts which show the proportion of non violent and violent crime around the world. The U.S. has a few bad cities but it's still nothing when compared with abroad.
AnonymousAmerican
Freshman Poster

Post by AnonymousAmerican »

The US does have some good things, but the bad things are increasingly outweighing the positives, sadly.
A bartender told me this while I was in Guadalajara Mexico:

"If you aren't careful here with the women, you will be married in a week."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMNPv_HXffQ

how I live my life.

how to survive in the US: viewtopic.php?t=19236
mrmillersd
Freshman Poster

Post by mrmillersd »

America has the best schools period. 27/30 most cited research comes from US universities. I immigrated here when i was 13, went to public high school and still got into top schools with almost full scholarship....as an Asian too

guess hard work did pay off :D

Ive lived in several other countries before, and I can say for a fact that I wouldn't have access to the networks I do now in America.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

The only downside of the schools are the outrageous costs involved. Most people don't qualify for the good scholarships and you end up being in severe debt 30k+ in your early 20's if you went to a top tier school.

But I agree the universities are still the best in the world.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

mrmillersd wrote:America has the best schools period. 27/30 most cited research comes from US universities. I immigrated here when i was 13, went to public high school and still got into top schools with almost full scholarship....as an Asian too

guess hard work did pay off :D

Ive lived in several other countries before, and I can say for a fact that I wouldn't have access to the networks I do now in America.
America's grad schools have the most financial aid to offer by far, and consequently attract talented people from abroad (though we'll see if that continues as state budgets continue their nosedives). Its secondary and undergraduate education is a joke.
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Re: Good things about America

Post by Teal Lantern »

mguy wrote:So much hate is coming for America. I don't think it's that bad. So how about a thread of positivity? Life is not all about dating anyways.

I like the infrastructure
I like innovation culture -- as if our future lies in our fate
I like social safety nets that allows one to live dreams (some works some doesn't but at still its good we have it)
I like the weather in some parts, especially the seasons
I like the peace and the order
I like it being quiet
I like the value of work -- maybe not for material gain -- but that Americans are looking for mastery
I like the products that come from here
I like most people here, really, even some females are good people too

There's a lot to like about America. I have to admit this is still one of the best countries in the world.
Huge and varied land area and a common language, even if a few people need subtitles. :wink: .

Large number of generally decent people; If there's a disaster in your area, help will generally be on the way, shortly.
It doesn't make the news often, but when disasters hit, regular people will donate or go into an area with water, blankets, food, etc. sometimes before the Red Cross or FEMA.

With an idea or talent and a bit of luck, you can do very well for yourself.
(With a pretty face, Autotune, and lady parts, even talent is optional)

Whether you prefer the bustle of downtown or the tranquility of the sticks, it's available.

Consumer protection. If you buy a new non-working appliance, you get a no-hassle replacement.
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
germanguy
Freshman Poster

Post by germanguy »

mrmillersd wrote:America has the best schools period.
Yes ... That´s probably the reason why many Americans cant even find the US on a map.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

germanguy wrote:
mrmillersd wrote:America has the best schools period.
Yes ... That´s probably the reason why many Americans cant even find the US on a map.
Your average American on the street may certainly not be as well rounded as someone off the streets in Germany. However, America is more about specialty education. People on the top of the academic pile aren't renaissance men and women. They specialize in their field and become some of the best in the world at what they do.

It's pretty hard to deny that when so many of the 21st century's major booms (dot com) and (space) were with the U.S. leading the way.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

1. Lower taxes on purchases compared to other countries
2. No taxes on gold and silver purchases (many countries, especially in the EU charge a VAT on silver)
3. Americans are typically more generous compared to other countries. They donate and sponsor others more often compared to many other countries
4. There are many areas for tourism
5. There are more places to shop and convenient to shop online in America
6. Visa-free travel in about 90 countries
7. It's a good place to invest if you have money to invest in the stock market

However, I agree with the previous post that mentions how the bad things increasingly outweigh the positives.
mrmillersd
Freshman Poster

Post by mrmillersd »

I said America has the best schools, not most educated population as a whole....

High school: no other country has many schools like Exeter, Deerfield, Choate,Trinity etc.

Colleges: Harvard/Princeton/Yale/Williams/Amherst/Stanford/MIT

England has Oxbridge, Eton and some European schools are fantastic, but there so more more in America. Also, American schools are highly merit based-50% of HYP students recieved a pell grant, meaning their family income was less than 45k. Also, (good) American schools dole out the best financial aid.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

From my experience, if you can get rid of dysfunctional ppl (around you), avoid dating American women, and focus on your career, then America is a fine place.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.