Does race supersede nationality for Americans?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Does race supersede nationality for Americans?

Post by Repatriate »

One thing i've noticed is that some white Americans seem uncomfortable or won't completely acknowledge me when abroad. Even when they know i'm from the U.S. some will just outright ignore me but will greet other white Americans smiling and laughing or they will acknowledge white people from other countries. I've never seen Canadians, Brits, or even Australians do this to people of their own nationality. I've never really detected this sort of uncomfortable tenseness with other nationalities i've interacted with either. I've seen mixed race groups socializing together in all the aforementioned anglo countries.

When I see American groups abroad they are almost always ordered by clique or race. It's very interesting. This is especially true for the young backpacker types.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

kai1275
Experienced Poster

Re: Does race supersede nationality for Americans?

Post by kai1275 »

Repatriate wrote:One thing i've noticed is that some white Americans seem uncomfortable or won't completely acknowledge me when abroad. Even when they know i'm from the U.S. some will just outright ignore me but will greet other white Americans smiling and laughing or they will acknowledge white people from other countries. I've never seen Canadians, Brits, or even Australians do this to people of their own nationality. I've never really detected this sort of uncomfortable tenseness with other nationalities i've interacted with either. I've seen mixed race groups socializing together in all the aforementioned anglo countries.

When I see American groups abroad they are almost always ordered by clique or race. It's very interesting. This is especially true for the young backpacker types.
VERY interesting that you brought this up. Whenever I go to China, I get the same treatment. Only once did a tall white american say hello to me when we passed by each other in the street. All the others ignored me. UK men are just douchebag-ish/snobbish as usual. The worse ones are the white French guy cliques/gangs in Guangzhou. Not only do they not speak, but they give the UGLIEST f***ing staredowns I have ever seen before. One of them bumped my shoulder only to get bounced off! 8) :lol:

I cannot understand French but my wife and I one night saw a group of them and we think they were talking about us..
richard112360
Freshman Poster

Post by richard112360 »

Repatriate wrote:One thing i've noticed is that some white Americans seem uncomfortable or won't completely acknowledge me when abroad. Even when they know i'm from the U.S. some will just outright ignore me but will greet other white Americans smiling and laughing or they will acknowledge white people from other countries. I've never seen Canadians, Brits, or even Australians do this to people of their own nationality. I've never really detected this sort of uncomfortable tenseness with other nationalities i've interacted with either. I've seen mixed race groups socializing together in all the aforementioned anglo countries.

I've traveled all over the planet, met White Americans and never had such an experience. White Americans overseas are generally friendly, loud and very outgoing and will usually want to talk your ears off. However I've noticed with the few Black Americans I've met, especially women, they are usually very cold/distant. I'm U.S born with parents of Caribbean extraction.
YaManBT
Freshman Poster

Post by YaManBT »

In the U.S., race definitely supersedes nationality. The whole racial divide was created in the States for the elites to control the masses. It started with keeping the enslaved Africans and white indentured servants from banding together. It has continued, with the inclusion of more European groups under the "white" umbrella for the sake of numbers and control. The funniest thing is that most middle and lower class whites in America think they're better than us, not realizing we are in the same boat. The elite class doesn't care about them either. I am a Black man with a Bachelor's Degree, and making a good living, and there are poor white trash people who are convinced they are better than me.

In Japan, which is where I'll be next year if things go as planned, they go by nationality and not race. They just see a Gaijin (foreigner), instead of seeing a Black or White foreigner.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Kai1275 and Repatriate,

There may be other factors at work. Cus I often have had the same feeling in my travels, both with whites from USA and whites from other parts of the world Heck, it's not just whites but western foreigners in general. They tend to be cliquish. If you are not in their group, you are invisible. Brits, Aussies, and Kiwis sometimes seem to have this attitude about us Yanks too. Many fellow Americans seem to lack warmth. Perhaps the most easygoing and open westerners I've met have been Canadians. As for Continental Western Europeans, they are cold on the surface but some open up after the get to know you over time. There's much less of a language issue with the Germanic ones than the Latin ones cus the former are generally more comfortable in English.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

richard112360 wrote:

I've traveled all over the planet, met White Americans and never had such an experience. White Americans overseas are generally friendly, loud and very outgoing and will usually want to talk your ears off. However I've noticed with the few Black Americans I've met, especially women, they are usually very cold/distant. I'm U.S born with parents of Caribbean extraction.
I am ignored because usually I blend in with the locals, but most of the locals know that I'm not one of their "gente".
Usually when Americans notice me, it's the White ones, and they usually try to set me up to get pigeonholed so I avoid them AMAP (as much as....).

What bothers me more than anything is when AW ignore me, or just WEW's (Western European women) with their permascowls, and I would just tell them "What the f.uck are you doing here? Go home where you have exceptional freedom rights because you have a box!"

They pretend they didn't hear me. Like I said before, if one of them ever acts unnecessarily a-holish on foreign patriarch soil, I'm dropping them right where they stand with a nice backhanded smack. *Ebonics kicks in* I put that on air-ree-thang I love LOL
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Rock wrote:Kai1275 and Repatriate,

There may be other factors at work. Cus I often have had the same feeling in my travels, both with whites from USA and whites from other parts of the world Heck, it's not just whites but western foreigners in general. They tend to be cliquish. If you are not in their group, you are invisible. Brits, Aussies, and Kiwis sometimes seem to have this attitude about us Yanks too. Many fellow Americans seem to lack warmth. Perhaps the most easygoing and open westerners I've met have been Canadians. As for Continental Western Europeans, they are cold on the surface but some open up after the get to know you over time. There's much less of a language issue with the Germanic ones than the Latin ones cus the former are generally more comfortable in English.
Claiming to be a Canuck works in some places! But most HA knows that already. jajaja
skateboardstephen
Junior Poster

Post by skateboardstephen »

This happens to me with white Americans ALL THE TIME IN BRAZIL...i thought i was the only one.
se eu soubesse o que eu sei hoje, teria mando mulheres americanas para foder-se há muitos anos.que deus abençoe o brasil!
skateboardstephen
Junior Poster

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
richard112360 wrote:

I am ignored because usually I blend in with the locals, but most of the locals know that I'm not one of their "gente".
Usually when Americans notice me, it's the White ones, and they usually try to set me up to get pigeonholed so I avoid them AMAP (as much as....).

What bothers me more than anything is when AW ignore me, or just WEW's (Western European women) with their permascowls, and I would just tell them "What the f.uck are you doing here? Go home where you have exceptional freedom rights because you have a box!"

They pretend they didn't hear me. Like I said before, if one of them ever acts unnecessarily a-holish on foreign patriarch soil, I'm dropping them right where they stand with a nice backhanded smack. *Ebonics kicks in* I put that on air-ree-thang I love LOL
I have seen this also...with American women who come to Brazil...I saw this one American women down here with a group of other American women that had that scowl on her face,saying she was down here helping children or something..I was like..why the f**k are you even here.....when you could stay at home and act bitchy..the funny thing is...is despite being white and attractive even Brazilian men where not checking for them.
se eu soubesse o que eu sei hoje, teria mando mulheres americanas para foder-se há muitos anos.que deus abençoe o brasil!
mrmillersd
Freshman Poster

Post by mrmillersd »

there is no pride in american nationality because American nationality is SO EASY to get....

anyone who has illegal parents who happened to be born on american soil is automatically american. what does this child have in common with other americans just because he/she was born on american soil?

most other countries determine citizenship by jus sangunis, or by family/blood.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

Personally, I don't have a problem saying hello to anyone nor do I feel uncomfortable. Doesn't matter where the person is from or their skin color. But if I'm busy or not in the mood to talk, I don't feel the need to strike up a conversation with someone simply because they're from the same country as I am. Sometimes I will but...I prefer keeping to myself most of the time.
skateboardstephen
Junior Poster

mrmillersd wrote:there is no pride in american nationality because American nationality is SO EASY to get....

anyone who has illegal parents who happened to be born on american soil is automatically american. what does this child have in common with other americans just because he/she was born on american soil?

most other countries determine citizenship by jus sangunis, or by family/blood.
Great point...there is no pride at all in American Nationality what so ever...and have you noticed that people all ways try to claim any nationality other than American even though they where born in America..oh wait that is a thread on its own..i think i will start it.
mrmillersd
Freshman Poster

Post by mrmillersd »

Even within america people dont feel american.

ask a black person what he is and many will say african american. Not just AMERICAN.

Chinese/asians are the worse. Many still consider themselves to be Chinese people and not Americans. They dont understand they are not Chinese at all. Only their ethnicity is of the mongoloid branch. Chinese is not a real ethnicity, it is a nationality.

Hispanics of course, will say they are hispanics.....
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

skateboardstephen wrote:
E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
richard112360 wrote:

I have seen this also...with American women who come to Brazil...I saw this one American women down here with a group of other American women that had that scowl on her face,saying she was down here helping children or something..I was like..why the f**k are you even here.....when you could stay at home and act bitchy..the funny thing is...is despite being white and attractive even Brazilian men where not checking for them.
I'm so glad that Brazilian men aren't that thirsty [yet and hopefully never].
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

mrmillersd wrote:Even within america people dont feel american.

ask a black person what he is and many will say african american. Not just AMERICAN.

Chinese/asians are the worse. Many still consider themselves to be Chinese people and not Americans. They dont understand they are not Chinese at all. Only their ethnicity is of the mongoloid branch. Chinese is not a real ethnicity, it is a nationality.

Hispanics of course, will say they are hispanics.....
Very astute observation. Hispanics is a stateside term of phenomenon. I hate using that term because they want to claim Spain so badly despite that conquistadores had wiped out almost all "indigenitos" to what's known as modern-day Argentina and postWWII influx of Germans, Irish, and Italians to Argentina.

And look at Puerto Rico and DR, tainos almost got totally wiped out too yet they have the Stockholm SINdrome of their oppressors.