Does quantity mean quality? More people or less people?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
hamdizzel
Freshman Poster

Does quantity mean quality? More people or less people?

Post by hamdizzel »

I know people who live in small towns who are happy as hell lesser people means
lesser competition for jobs food housing and with a small community they seem more like a famliy.

I see places like new york city with millions of people yet many are so lonely and isolated.
I don't get it? i thought having more people in a place would be better i guess im wrong.
the number of people in a city does not matter it the KIND of people they are that matter.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Does quantity mean quality? More people or less people?

Post by momopi »

hamdizzel wrote:I know people who live in small towns who are happy as hell lesser people means
lesser competition for jobs food housing and with a small community they seem more like a famliy.

I see places like new york city with millions of people yet many are so lonely and isolated.
I don't get it? i thought having more people in a place would be better i guess im wrong.
the number of people in a city does not matter it the KIND of people they are that matter.

Smaller towns are more homogeneous, versus larger cities are more international with wider range of diversity. Alternatively, some colleges & universities can provide smaller scale of diversity through its student and exchange student population.
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

If I can speak generally, a typical American problem is "quantity over quality". By this, I mean we have to have the biggest house, the biggest car/truck/SUV, the most shoddy cheapo crap manufactured in Chinese sweatshops, etc. It's all about bragging rights, I guess. In my neighborhood I and the Indian guy across the street are the only two families who can actually park the car in their garage, since everyone else's garage is belching odds and ends out all sides, so there is no room more to put the car. Every weekend there's another garage sale, with everyone trying to hock their trashy garbage on another passerby. Why the hell would I want USED crap, when I won't even buy it new at Walmart?

Compare this with Europe (and most of the developed world): it's about having less, but what you do have is HIGH quality. My in-laws in Italy bought a new end unit townhouse (for cash, by the way...i.e. no mortgage). It's all marble and top-notch quality. They even spent 1000 euros on the bathroom fixtures. You see, for them quality lasts longer, which means the house and everything in it can last for generations and be passed down through the family as an inheritance.

Even the houses in the US are considered disposable. In the US, a house over 50 years old is considered "old" and probably ought to be torn down and rebuilt. In Europe they have 99 year mortgages, knowing that the well-built houses will last hundreds of years.

Just a very different perspective on life and what's important, I think.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I hate airheads who always say "More people is more fun!" That's so stupid. My first Vietnamese ex used to always say that. She placed no value on quality or meaningful connection.

I especially hate it when I'm trying to get intimate or romantic with someone, but she prefers having more people with us because "more people is more fun". Gee, how romantic. Why am I the only one that's truly romantic nowadays? Wtf? Do I belong in a different time?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne