Ex Scientist Here.

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
IronChemist
Freshman Poster

Ex Scientist Here.

Post by IronChemist »

Hi there, I've been lurking for a while on these forums.

A little bit about myself, I am a 28 year old American White Man currently in a career change,
I was a research Chemist now I'm back in school to change careers to teaching.
I'm currently looking at working as a Teacher in an International School overseas.

About that, after I was laid off from a job as an Industrial Chemist, I figured I'd go teach English in Asia for a while but I learned about the
I schools, and that the Physical Sciences and Math are the highest demand subjects, so I'd figure I'd go grab a cert now and then go over
and have a career overseas.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Ex Scientist Here.

Post by Jester »

IronChemist wrote:Hi there, I've been lurking for a while on these forums.

A little bit about myself, I am a 28 year old American White Man currently in a career change,
I'm currently looking at working as a Teacher in an International School overseas.

About that, after I was laid off from a job as an Industrial Chemist, I figured I'd go teach English in Asia for a while but I learned about the
I schools, and that the Physical Sciences and Math are the highest demand subjects, so I'd figure I'd go grab a cert now and then go over

Congrats on making the move while young.

Welcome to the forum.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Hi Chemist, I'm a former Math professor who became an actuary at age 40. I've also thought about getting a job teaching at an international school. What kind of certification do you need? How long does it take and how much does it cost? Can you get a teaching job at an I school without certification? I really don't want to go back to school again.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I have a PhD in Biotechnology, but after graduating I went into IT. Lol.

The good thing is that a PhD is highly valued should I want to teach English somewhere.

Not sure I've really used the PhD, but being in University and having way more money than an undergrad was great. It was definitely 3 years of living life to the full - I barely slept at all, spending most time in the lab or the bar :)
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Hero wrote:Hi Chemist, I'm a former Math professor who became an actuary at age 40. I've also thought about getting a job teaching at an international school. What kind of certification do you need? How long does it take and how much does it cost? Can you get a teaching job at an I school without certification? I really don't want to go back to school again.
In that case, you may want to act fast. School is starting. Sometimes there are last-minute vacancies to fill - teacher didn't return as planned.

I would aggressively get the application in, and plan on traveling at own expense immediately to interview in person wherever there are vacancies. So you probably should choose a country and attack the opportunities there.

Lots of teachers here -- Ladislav, Cornfed, etc. -- but I don't know of any who have taught in an international school for expat kids, which is probably what you need.

I think Cornfed taught math at a school for Korean kids, with an in-class translator. PM him.

As a math professor I think you already have both the credential AND the experience.

Just do it!
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Jester wrote:In that case, you may want to act fast. School is starting. Sometimes there are last-minute vacancies to fill - teacher didn't return as planned.

I would aggressively get the application in, and plan on traveling at own expense immediately to interview in person wherever there are vacancies. So you probably should choose a country and attack the opportunities there.

Lots of teachers here -- Ladislav, Cornfed, etc. -- but I don't know of any who have taught in an international school for expat kids, which is probably what you need.

I think Cornfed taught math at a school for Korean kids, with an in-class translator. PM him.

As a math professor I think you already have both the credential AND the experience.

Just do it!
Well, come on. I think I can wait one year. Don't want to rush headlong into anything. I gotta think about which country to go to.

Do I really have to pay for my own ticket just to get to the interview?
RedMenace
Freshman Poster

Re: Ex Scientist Here.

Post by RedMenace »

IronChemist wrote:Hi there, I've been lurking for a while on these forums.

Now am unsure whether I will be employable with an Electrical and Electronic engineering degree. :(
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

A good site for non ESL teachers who want to teach at int'l schools is

www.joyjobs.com- they charge $40 a year membership fee, though.

Most require K12 certifications if you want to teach int'l schools.

Failing that, you can apply as a professor in your particular discipline at colleges/universities. Google your discipline + words "teacher instructor professor wanted + name of the country", duh. I recommend the Middle East- that's where you have the best possible working conditions.
Now am unsure whether I will be employable with an Electrical and Electronic engineering degree
Ask your local Google and this goes for chemistry, too.

If you don't have K12 certifications, you can try vocational colleges in the Middle East.

http://jobs.teachers.net/jobs/college-p ... -teachers/

send these guys your resume:

http://engineering.kau.edu.sa/Default.a ... 135&Lng=EN

http://jobs.monstergulf.com/details/132 ... b2-1&from=
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

I hope students in the Middle East have respect for their teachers
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Hero wrote:I hope students in the Middle East have respect for their teachers
At colleges/universities they do.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Hero wrote:
Jester wrote:In that case, you may want to act fast. School is starting. Sometimes there are last-minute vacancies to fill - teacher didn't return as planned.

Just do it!
Well, come on. I think I can wait one year. Don't want to rush headlong into anything. I gotta think about which country to go to.

Do I really have to pay for my own ticket just to get to the interview?
Sorry I got your post mixed up with the OP. Didn't mean to rush you.