Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme


Ex Scientist Here.

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
Post Reply
IronChemist
Freshman Poster
Posts: 5
Joined: August 23rd, 2013, 4:44 am

Ex Scientist Here.

Post by IronChemist » August 23rd, 2013, 4:56 am

Hi there, I've been lurking for a while on these forums.

A little bit about myself, I am a 28 year old American White Man currently in a career change,
I was a research Chemist now I'm back in school to change careers to teaching.
I'm currently looking at working as a Teacher in an International School overseas.

About that, after I was laid off from a job as an Industrial Chemist, I figured I'd go teach English in Asia for a while but I learned about the
I schools, and that the Physical Sciences and Math are the highest demand subjects, so I'd figure I'd go grab a cert now and then go over
and have a career overseas.

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 7875
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Re: Ex Scientist Here.

Post by Jester » August 23rd, 2013, 9:13 am

IronChemist wrote:Hi there, I've been lurking for a while on these forums.

A little bit about myself, I am a 28 year old American White Man currently in a career change,
I was a research Chemist now I'm back in school to change careers to teaching.
I'm currently looking at working as a Teacher in an International School overseas.

About that, after I was laid off from a job as an Industrial Chemist, I figured I'd go teach English in Asia for a while but I learned about the
I schools, and that the Physical Sciences and Math are the highest demand subjects, so I'd figure I'd go grab a cert now and then go over
and have a career overseas.

Congrats on making the move while young.

Welcome to the forum.

Hero
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1708
Joined: July 3rd, 2008, 9:19 pm

Post by Hero » August 23rd, 2013, 12:06 pm

Hi Chemist, I'm a former Math professor who became an actuary at age 40. I've also thought about getting a job teaching at an international school. What kind of certification do you need? How long does it take and how much does it cost? Can you get a teaching job at an I school without certification? I really don't want to go back to school again.

User avatar
xiongmao
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2660
Joined: March 9th, 2011, 6:09 pm
Location: London

Post by xiongmao » August 23rd, 2013, 5:45 pm

I have a PhD in Biotechnology, but after graduating I went into IT. Lol.

The good thing is that a PhD is highly valued should I want to teach English somewhere.

Not sure I've really used the PhD, but being in University and having way more money than an undergrad was great. It was definitely 3 years of living life to the full - I barely slept at all, spending most time in the lab or the bar :)
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 7875
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Post by Jester » August 23rd, 2013, 10:00 pm

Hero wrote:Hi Chemist, I'm a former Math professor who became an actuary at age 40. I've also thought about getting a job teaching at an international school. What kind of certification do you need? How long does it take and how much does it cost? Can you get a teaching job at an I school without certification? I really don't want to go back to school again.
In that case, you may want to act fast. School is starting. Sometimes there are last-minute vacancies to fill - teacher didn't return as planned.

I would aggressively get the application in, and plan on traveling at own expense immediately to interview in person wherever there are vacancies. So you probably should choose a country and attack the opportunities there.

Lots of teachers here -- Ladislav, Cornfed, etc. -- but I don't know of any who have taught in an international school for expat kids, which is probably what you need.

I think Cornfed taught math at a school for Korean kids, with an in-class translator. PM him.

As a math professor I think you already have both the credential AND the experience.

Just do it!

Hero
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1708
Joined: July 3rd, 2008, 9:19 pm

Post by Hero » August 23rd, 2013, 10:51 pm

Jester wrote:In that case, you may want to act fast. School is starting. Sometimes there are last-minute vacancies to fill - teacher didn't return as planned.

I would aggressively get the application in, and plan on traveling at own expense immediately to interview in person wherever there are vacancies. So you probably should choose a country and attack the opportunities there.

Lots of teachers here -- Ladislav, Cornfed, etc. -- but I don't know of any who have taught in an international school for expat kids, which is probably what you need.

I think Cornfed taught math at a school for Korean kids, with an in-class translator. PM him.

As a math professor I think you already have both the credential AND the experience.

Just do it!
Well, come on. I think I can wait one year. Don't want to rush headlong into anything. I gotta think about which country to go to.

Do I really have to pay for my own ticket just to get to the interview?

RedMenace
Freshman Poster
Posts: 219
Joined: June 18th, 2013, 1:39 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Ex Scientist Here.

Post by RedMenace » August 23rd, 2013, 10:58 pm

IronChemist wrote:Hi there, I've been lurking for a while on these forums.

A little bit about myself, I am a 28 year old American White Man currently in a career change,
I was a research Chemist now I'm back in school to change careers to teaching.
I'm currently looking at working as a Teacher in an International School overseas.

About that, after I was laid off from a job as an Industrial Chemist, I figured I'd go teach English in Asia for a while but I learned about the
I schools, and that the Physical Sciences and Math are the highest demand subjects, so I'd figure I'd go grab a cert now and then go over
and have a career overseas.
Now am unsure whether I will be employable with an Electrical and Electronic engineering degree. :(

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3606
Joined: September 6th, 2007, 7:30 pm

Post by ladislav » August 24th, 2013, 12:41 am

A good site for non ESL teachers who want to teach at int'l schools is

www.joyjobs.com- they charge $40 a year membership fee, though.

Most require K12 certifications if you want to teach int'l schools.

Failing that, you can apply as a professor in your particular discipline at colleges/universities. Google your discipline + words "teacher instructor professor wanted + name of the country", duh. I recommend the Middle East- that's where you have the best possible working conditions.
Now am unsure whether I will be employable with an Electrical and Electronic engineering degree
Ask your local Google and this goes for chemistry, too.

If you don't have K12 certifications, you can try vocational colleges in the Middle East.

http://jobs.teachers.net/jobs/college-p ... -teachers/

send these guys your resume:

http://engineering.kau.edu.sa/Default.a ... 135&Lng=EN

http://jobs.monstergulf.com/details/132 ... b2-1&from=
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!

Hero
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1708
Joined: July 3rd, 2008, 9:19 pm

Post by Hero » August 24th, 2013, 2:11 am

I hope students in the Middle East have respect for their teachers

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3606
Joined: September 6th, 2007, 7:30 pm

Post by ladislav » August 24th, 2013, 2:23 am

Hero wrote:I hope students in the Middle East have respect for their teachers
At colleges/universities they do.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 7875
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Post by Jester » August 24th, 2013, 3:18 am

Hero wrote:
Jester wrote:In that case, you may want to act fast. School is starting. Sometimes there are last-minute vacancies to fill - teacher didn't return as planned.

I would aggressively get the application in, and plan on traveling at own expense immediately to interview in person wherever there are vacancies. So you probably should choose a country and attack the opportunities there.

Lots of teachers here -- Ladislav, Cornfed, etc. -- but I don't know of any who have taught in an international school for expat kids, which is probably what you need.

I think Cornfed taught math at a school for Korean kids, with an in-class translator. PM him.

As a math professor I think you already have both the credential AND the experience.

Just do it!
Well, come on. I think I can wait one year. Don't want to rush headlong into anything. I gotta think about which country to go to.

Do I really have to pay for my own ticket just to get to the interview?
Sorry I got your post mixed up with the OP. Didn't mean to rush you.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Introduce Yourself”