How much does height matter in the Philippines?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

I did my rounds again yesterday in glorietta (in blog) and im sure Filipinos are at 5'7 AT LEAST. Try going to an upscale dance club and the height average increases even more. However, the "masses" the poor folks are likely to be short (ie. jeepney drivers, candy sellers, toll operators). I think there is a correlation to being seen as short and poor in this society.

**As a note, the Filipino guy sitting next to me in the cafe is 6'4.

My impression is that the Filipinos males are becoming more and more optimized in terms of their looks. Filipinos are notorious womanizers, I am aware of this. But Filipinas IMO are still looking to get the Filipino male who is over 6'0.

There is a health craze here now and HEALTHY is the new in. Over the last five years the average Filipino male has bulked up and not slimmed down like their metrosexual Korean neighbors. Marathons are in (in hot weather no tnx!). The image of masculinity is developed muscles and tall. There is also the career revolution going here that I am going to be investigating. The younger guys here have money.
Last edited by mguy on September 1st, 2013, 9:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

I think Repatriate is right about the nutrition part. I think the current generation is brought up with better nutrition that it had affected average height. The older generation does indeed look shorter than the younger ones.

Also I think this is bc im in the capital and the people here are not desperate and can eat well. I think the province types are way short. I remember there was the cave-men (tausug) discovery where these people were untouched by civilization and they had just been recently discovered: they were pretty short.

Also there is another issue that is not being talked about here. I think the triumvate of male attractiveness in Philippines is..

Height.. Face.. and AGE!! Yes. I think Age is a very important factor in dating here. I would suggest that if you are under 30 to get your ass down here quick. Mayb 35. 40 is ancient here man. Unless you pay for. The girls here will not ask you what you do.. they will ask you 'how old you are you?'
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

Here is a good concept of Filipino masculinity. Very diff from the korean slim boy types. This is the type that gets Filipinas wet.

Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

mguy wrote:I think Repatriate is right about the nutrition part. I think the current generation is brought up with better nutrition that it had affected average height. The older generation does indeed look shorter than the younger ones.

Also I think this is bc im in the capital and the people here are not desperate and can eat well. I think the province types are way short. I remember there was the cave-men (tausug) discovery where these people were untouched by civilization and they had just been recently discovered: they were pretty short.

Also there is another issue that is not being talked about here. I think the triumvate of male attractiveness in Philippines is..

Height.. Face.. and AGE!! Yes. I think Age is a very important factor in dating here. I would suggest that if you are under 30 to get your a** down here quick. Mayb 35. 40 is ancient here man. Unless you pay for. The girls here will not ask you what you do.. they will ask you 'how old you are you?'
mguy, I really look forward to meeting you and comparing notes. Falcon might be down there too so we could all get together.

A couple areas where I'm not sure I've observed the same things as you. First on the age issue. Of all the countries I've been to, I would rank Phils as one of the least age sensitive in general. And that includes poorer countries I've visited in Africa plus Haiti. Remember, I've generally focused on girls who are not desperate, who make their own money or have their own funds, and are not expecting anything from their date other than he pay for the meal. Some of the gals I've known have so much money (not rich but making good salaries with no family demands) that they end up helping their friends and classmates out and also enjoy buying gifts for guys they are dating. A lot of these girls are fine with a much older guy as long as he's somewhat attractive and presentable. Some of the younger girls I know in Metro Manila who happen to have attractive youthful dads have told me their dad's are hot items, even with some of their classmates, lol.

You must be hanging with an elite crowd. Rockwell and Global City are pretty special as is Ortigas and maybe Alabang, not exactly the rule, for several years to come anyway. But Glorietta is full of more regular types mixed in with a minority of the cream. Last time I was right outside there, I saw 3 of the Chinese basketball players including the center. I thought, OMG, Phils is being invaded by Chinese giants, lol.

BTW, those girls in the Youtube you posted recently talking about Filipino guys weren't necessarily hot. They were just dolled-up konyo style girls who probably believed themselves to be 8s and above. Strip them of the make-up and have them stand in bare feet and they might not look much different than more ordinary girls. And some more regular middle class professional girls are quite attractive.

Second thing is, I still think Korean metro guys are a hot item with a decent percentage of the girls. I've met plenty of girls who are into that style and look. Some even post it all over their FB pages or even add Korean characters. Koreans have a lot of contact with locals through the unis and English language programs. They are definitely making their mark and it doesn't hurt that some have nice vehicles and money to spend.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

BTW, one more thing on the age issue. If I remember correctly, you said almost the same thing about Bogota, that young people there are hyper sensitive about age and if you are over 30, your some kind of fossil or something to that effect.

Perhaps you are seeking a very exclusive type of circle or something in all the places you go. Because when I went to Bogota, I felt there was some leeway with age gaps, at least with some of the attractive and non-desperate young girls. As I mentioned in another post, I met a very attractive and very young girl from a well-off family there who didn't have a big hang-up about age.

Fact is, the height, face, age rule for men holds generally wherever you go. You can just compare countries and rate their relative strength or weakness. I just found it surprising that you would consider Phils. to be rank high on age sensitivity on a relative scale (vs. other countries). That's not been my impression, even with middle class Luzon girls.
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

I don't remember noticing the age issue in Bogota. Race is the flavor of the day in Colombia. If anything I think Manila is somewhat like the people in Bogota in height. You seem to also disagree with Winstons assessment of Taiwan so there is a disagree to disagree there.

Age is an issue in Philippines (among normal girls) as age is an important factor of culture. Even to me girls would start saying "po" and "opo" (a form of change in language based on talking to elders) and they ascertain this purely based on looks (im not even 30 yet!). This occurs even with me even talking to someone who is just 5 years younger. People call each other "ate" and "kuya" which means "older sister" and "older brother". People defer not to one's own merit, but rather people defer to age.

I asked the Qatar girl I met how much older the guy would be for her and she said is perfect for her is +4. An American girl would say +1 or same age.

I think a guy who is under 30 (maybe 35) is working with a huge pool in the Philippines for various reason. A guy over 40 is an uncle. Filipinas also tend to marry young.

As far as Koreans, they seem to be gathering a bad reputation in the Philippines. There is a general ill-will against Koreans from what I was able to perceive. A friend told me that Koreans are being watched in gated communities as they have been known to operate a "dorm" racket where they house korean students in dorm type dwellings inside rich communities.

Below is what I would say is a Filipina beauty. This means she is a beautiful expression of the Filipina gene. Does not look Chinese. Does not look Korean. Little Spanish (if at all). A pretty Filipina. Morena mia

Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

mguy wrote:I don't remember noticing the age issue in Bogota. Race is the flavor of the day in Colombia. If anything I think Manila is somewhat like the people in Bogota in height. You seem to also disagree with Winstons assessment of Taiwan so there is a disagree to disagree there.

Age is an issue in Philippines (among normal girls) as age is an important factor of culture. Even to me girls would start saying "po" and "opo" (a form of change in language based on talking to elders) and they ascertain this purely based on looks (im not even 30 yet!). This occurs even with me even talking to someone who is just 5 years younger. People call each other "ate" and "kuya" which means "older sister" and "older brother". People defer not to one's own merit, but rather people defer to age.

I asked the Qatar girl I met how much older the guy would be for her and she said is perfect for her is +4. An American girl would say +1 or same age.

I think a guy who is under 30 (maybe 35) is working with a huge pool in the Philippines for various reason. A guy over 40 is an uncle. Filipinas also tend to marry young.

As far as Koreans, they seem to be gathering a bad reputation in the Philippines. There is a general ill-will against Koreans from what I was able to perceive. A friend told me that Koreans are being watched in gated communities as they have been known to operate a "dorm" racket where they house korean students in dorm type dwellings inside rich communities.

Below is what I would say is a Filipina beauty. This means she is a beautiful expression of the Filipina gene. Does not look Chinese. Does not look Korean. Little Spanish (if at all). A pretty Filipina. Morena mia

1. Ok, that age distinguishing language and implied deference is common in several Asian cultures, not just Phils. Of course with strangers, it's based on apparent age, not actual age.

2. I may try to find that post where you mentioned that people you met in Colombia (I think Bogota) were very age sensitive too.

3. So far I've been surprised at the wide age acceptance ranges told to me by a significant percentage of regular girls in Phils. I particularly remember one friends who I found very attractive - Chinese skin color, 5'6", pretty face, and nice curves, 28 - who had a local boyfriend of 3 years who was 55 (but he looked good and quite a bit younger in his photos). She confessed to me that she really loved the guy a lot and just got fed-up that he didn't spend more time with her. She realized that the age gap was on the exceptional side but told me his sweetness (not money or gifts) won her over with a bit of time. In fact, she let the guy stay in her family's house whenever he wanted and he wasn't even helping them out. There are lots of interesting anecdotes which are encouraging regarding age I've come across. Perhaps the rule is, date and marry very close to your age but with lots of exceptions to the rule? I don't know for sure. Girls I've generally encountered have for the most part have been quite relaxed about age. A lot of 40 years olds, especially some Asians or blacks, still look very youthful and attractive, not at all like uncles. But then you see some much younger ones who already look tired and worn out.

4. When I look at your photo, the first thing that comes to my mind is whether or not she is a gay (it seems they call ladyboys gay there?). Cus I see a tinge of possible masculinity. In SE Asia some of the more striking figures are sometimes ladyboys or mixed race model types. Doubting someone as a possible ladyboy can be a form of compliment these days cus some of them are so hot.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

BTW mguy, I searched a couple of your Colombia threads and could not find any place where you talked about age issue. I must have been mistaken. Perhaps it was someone else who wrote that about Bogota?
Raja
Freshman Poster

Post by Raja »

mguy wrote:.

Use of "po", sir or ma'am is not age specific you are also being ranked socially. Those tiny calculations are made when the decision is made to call you brother, sir, uncle or big brother. An unknown elder might be po but a street vendor or squatter in many cases would get a lower ranked tito, in that case it is not being used with a familiar relationship. The elder of higher social rank who would normally get the po honorific says use my first name then becomes tito Joe in a familiar sense.
reeferwill
Freshman Poster

Post by reeferwill »

Well I think we can agree that the women in America are giants compared to the women overseas. It's hard for guys below average height like me here. So many overweight women here too..
Malcolm Z
Freshman Poster

Post by Malcolm Z »

Was in Manila back in 2011. Had women telling me I was too short to date. This may have been since it's the capital. I'm 5'4 for the record.
Maverick
Junior Poster

Post by Maverick »

reeferwill wrote:
Maverick wrote:I'm 5'6 and I do reasonably well with girls here in the US.

5'9 is definitely not short. Height isn't your problem.
Are you mixed or latino at all? I find the height discrimination coming mainly from white women.
No. I'm a mix of European (non-Anglo) and Russian descent. Just unlucky I guess.
david
Freshman Poster

Post by david »

You are taller than me (5'7") and I do just fine. I think a positive attitude, good health, and good hygiene are the most important items
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

As long as you and your honeyko are in a horizontal position, height doesn't matter at all. :lol: :wink: