Can't get ANY job

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Jeremy
Freshman Poster

Can't get ANY job

Post by Jeremy »

I'm educated and able bodied, yet no one will hire me. Not even McDonald's. Despite applying to countless job postings over the past couple months, the furthest I've gotten is the second round of interviews for a barista position. Unfortunately, they hired one of the other eight candidates. It's crazy how getting a minimum wage job nowadays is like being on X-Factor.

If it weren't for my parents, I'd be licking lichen off a cave wall right now.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

I can relate. it is even worse for me, since I have Asperger's, thus it is harder for me with simple tasks that make up many menial jobs. I have applied for ten positions, and none on any of them. Am I overqualified or something XD ? It seems like there are not many areas to save up to visit. Perhaps we should stick closer to home? ie Canada and Mexico?
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

zacb wrote:I can relate. it is even worse for me, since I have Asperger's, thus it is harder for me with simple tasks that make up many menial jobs. I have applied for ten positions, and none on any of them. Am I overqualified or something XD ? It seems like there are not many areas to save up to visit. Perhaps we should stick closer to home? ie Canada and Mexico?
In Germany some companies are looking for people with certain mental issues.

That won't help you now I don't think but the solution if nobody will give you a job, give yourself one (self-employed).

Have you tried DirecTV installer? Afraid of heights, dark spaces?

Are you an expert at something?

How about becoming a DJ? Weddings pay extremely well ($700-$1500 a gig) and you can pepper that with club gigs in the off-season for weddings and to give you something to do during the week.

Equipment has never been cheaper and can be carried in a compact car -

Got a compact car; What about becoming a delivery driver/courier?

Is it REALLY that hard? You can come out here and pick veggies and fruit if you REALLY want too. There are also food processing plants everywhere.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Jeremy, what part of the country do you live in? Also, what is your height/weight/looks? Are you socially well adjusted? I am looking for your weakness. Once we find that, we can make you a stronger applicant. So be honest with us, what are your greatest weaknesses and faults?
Jeremy
Freshman Poster

Post by Jeremy »

HouseMD wrote:Jeremy, what part of the country do you live in? Also, what is your height/weight/looks? Are you socially well adjusted? I am looking for your weakness. Once we find that, we can make you a stronger applicant. So be honest with us, what are your greatest weaknesses and faults?
Vancouver, Canada. 6'2.75", 143 lbs., white, about a 5 facially. Normal social skills.

I don't think it's a character flaw or anything like that; I was able to find full time work pretty easily before the economy collapsed.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Jeremy wrote:
HouseMD wrote:Jeremy, what part of the country do you live in? Also, what is your height/weight/looks? Are you socially well adjusted? I am looking for your weakness. Once we find that, we can make you a stronger applicant. So be honest with us, what are your greatest weaknesses and faults?
Vancouver, Canada. 6'2.75", 143 lbs., white, about a 5 facially. Normal social skills.

I don't think it's a character flaw or anything like that; I was able to find full time work pretty easily before the economy collapsed.
Is it possible that you give the impression that the jobs you are working are beneath you? Or that you don't seem genuinely interested in them as more than a stepping stone? It is also tough to get a low end job once you have an education and are "overqualified". Given the choice between the kid that has a high school diploma and no options that might stick around and the kid with some college education that will book the first time something better opens up, it just makes sense to take the former. Shit jobs aren't looking for a good employee, they are looking for lifers.
Jeremy
Freshman Poster

Post by Jeremy »

HouseMD wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

Is it possible that you give the impression that the jobs you are working are beneath you? Or that you don't seem genuinely interested in them as more than a stepping stone? It is also tough to get a low end job once you have an education and are "overqualified". Given the choice between the kid that has a high school diploma and no options that might stick around and the kid with some college education that will book the first time something better opens up, it just makes sense to take the former. Shit jobs aren't looking for a good employee, they are looking for lifers.
It's possible. I try to come off as genuine, but maybe I'm just not a good enough actor.

I should also mention I have landed a few of those shit jobs in the past few years. But they never lasted more than a month, and it always took a long time to find another one.
polya
Junior Poster

Post by polya »

Last edited by polya on September 4th, 2013, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Jeremy wrote:
HouseMD wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

It's possible. I try to come off as genuine, but maybe I'm just not a good enough actor.

I should also mention I have landed a few of those shit jobs in the past few years. But they never lasted more than a month, and it always took a long time to find another one.
Depending on how you left your prior jobs, it is also possible you have been put on an HR blacklist. A lot of retail hiring managers use them to sift out people that tend to quit explosively or without notice after short periods of employment, as past behavior is the best indicator of future performance.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on April 27th, 2020, 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Jeremy wrote:

I suggest you try and get a job in some kind of food service, restaurant, farm, excedra. You definitely need to eat something.
Time to Hide!
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

djfourmoney wrote:
zacb wrote:I can relate. it is even worse for me, since I have Asperger's, thus it is harder for me with simple tasks that make up many menial jobs. I have applied for ten positions, and none on any of them. Am I overqualified or something XD ? It seems like there are not many areas to save up to visit. Perhaps we should stick closer to home? ie Canada and Mexico?
In Germany some companies are looking for people with certain mental issues.

That won't help you now I don't think but the solution if nobody will give you a job, give yourself one (self-employed).

Have you tried DirecTV installer? Afraid of heights, dark spaces?

Are you an expert at something?

How about becoming a DJ? Weddings pay extremely well ($700-$1500 a gig) and you can pepper that with club gigs in the off-season for weddings and to give you something to do during the week.

Equipment has never been cheaper and can be carried in a compact car -

Got a compact car; What about becoming a delivery driver/courier?

Is it REALLY that hard? You can come out here and pick veggies and fruit if you REALLY want too. There are also food processing plants everywhere.
At the moment I do not have a license (getting one today actually XD). I have tried selling on ebay, selling ebooks, among other things. Right now I am learning Java, and after that learn Android programming. I am not just sitting idly by. I am still selling on Amazon, but that has been kinda weak. But I appreciate the ideas. I have applied for like ten jobs, and none are a go. Oh well. I will keep trudging. Thanks for the ideas! I am not against working or anything like that, just need to find my niche.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
TruthOrConsequences
Freshman Poster

Post by TruthOrConsequences »

Yeah dude. I'm in the same situation as you.

I'm a male in mid 20's, able-bodied, fit and somewhat educated, yet no one wants to hire me. I've been job searching on and off for the past 5 months. I've been applying for general labor, minimum wage type jobs and for every 20 applications or so I may get like 2 phone calls/invitations to an interview. For every 5-6 interviews I'm lucky if I get that second phone call. And these are piece of shit 8$ in hour cleaning and labor jobs and shit. Like.... Really?!

I think one of the main problems is that most HR managers and recruiters are middle aged Caucasian women, which are very jaded and cynical. Any little thing raises a red flag for them like employment gaps or inconsistent work history. Then pretty much every single job out there expects you to have experience in that same field, which is a catch 22 in itself. And then I guess you're 'supposed' to stay in that same field for the rest of your life.

Big problem number 2 is that most Americans have a lot of relatives and extended family, in-laws and shit. So in most cases people just want to hire their inbred relatives over anybody else... Especially if it's a small business type of place... Locally owned and oriented, you know...

So yeah it's just mainly people being assholes or way too nitpicky about whom they would want to hire..
Jusqu'au bout a tout prix..
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

The economy is contracting not growing, we add about 150,000 people a month to the labor force so if the pie is shrinking and we are adding more people to the work force, well ?............. with lower paying jobs being created as well.

The great Henry Kissinger once said " you will be grateful when the UN steps in to restore order in America" we are reaching that point.

Probably the best thing at this point would be to target all cities and metropolitan areas world wide with ICBM's and just start over.
Time to Hide!
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Can't get ANY job

Post by Rock »

Jeremy wrote:I'm educated and able bodied, yet no one will hire me. Not even McDonald's. Despite applying to countless job postings over the past couple months, the furthest I've gotten is the second round of interviews for a barista position. Unfortunately, they hired one of the other eight candidates. It's crazy how getting a minimum wage job nowadays is like being on X-Factor.

If it weren't for my parents, I'd be licking lichen off a cave wall right now.
I wouldn't hire YOU either lol. If you were in their shoes, you would probably not hire a clone of yourself as well.

Return to “General Discussions”