Why do you want to go abroad?

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.

Sick of your home country's laws and way of life?
36%
Tired of the influx of obese women?
No votes
Financial opportunities?
No votes
Mongering?
No votes
Finding a suitable wife?
12%
Running away from something?
No votes
Frustrated with the dating scene?
15%
Fed up with feminism?
12%
Just want a fresh start in life?
15%
Excessive taxation in your home country?
No votes
Retirement?
3%
Other
6%

Total votes: 33
marklambo
Junior Poster

Post by marklambo »

What is your reasoning for wanting to go abroad?

Of the choices given, what is most important for you and carries the most weight?
Last edited by marklambo on September 2nd, 2013, 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Private Investment Club
3%-5% a month average returns. No trading involved, all collateral based with low risk. PM for details.

Private Jet Flights
PM for details.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Why not have a choice for "all of the above"? People do not usually do major things for just one reason. It's usually multiple reasons.

Or you could say, "Pick the most important reason."
Last edited by Winston on September 2nd, 2013, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

I travel to meet new people and have crazy adventures.
marklambo
Junior Poster

Post by marklambo »

Winston wrote:Why not have a choice for "all of the above"? People do not usually do major things for just one reason. It's usually multiple reasons.

Or you could say, "Pick the most important reason."
I did but I removed it. Choosing both "Finding a wife" and "Mongering" wouldn't make much sense. That's why I replaced it with "Other"
Private Investment Club
3%-5% a month average returns. No trading involved, all collateral based with low risk. PM for details.

Private Jet Flights
PM for details.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

I went abroad because I wanted a great wife. Now that is done, I am looking at business opportunities that just so happen to not involve staying in the US but who knows....might stay here with the money, or come back with money and a company. I am still looking for places to retire someday. If the US falls apart long before that, I will be looking to get out for sure. We shall see.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

The primary reason: I just got fed with the States and all that was crap going-on with the country whether it was socially, morally, culturally, economically, politically...Secondary reason was for adventure and traveling, and the third reason was because of better dating opportunities...
Everdred
Freshman Poster

Post by Everdred »

I went abroad and have remained abroad since 2009. The reason I did it was because I wanted to travel, learn about foreign cultures, experience life in outside countries, and fulfill my curiosity of the world in which I live.

I did not go abroad because I despised American women, was an "economic refugee," had a fat expat package, nor to pursue a wife. Sure, the United States wasn't doing much to convince me to stay, and I definitely dislike many things about the United States, but that had very little influence on my decision to live abroad. And I admit that non-Anglo women can be great, but I don't think women alone are enough to justify living a life around the world. They're simply the "icing on the cake" to life as an expat.

I think the people who'll survive the longest abroad, and the people who are the happiest abroad, are the ones who genuinely have an interest in travel and the outside world. If you're in it just for the women and/or money, I think you'll eventually just get fed up and return to your home country. My journey has only just begun, and I hope it never ends. I simply could not imagine my life any other way.
Bane
Freshman Poster

Post by Bane »

1) General cultural incompatibility with current US culture.

2) To travel, learn new languages, and find out how different people see the world.

3) To become part of a culture and society that is much older, deeper, and more established than 'Murica.

Dating opportunities for me were icing on the cake.
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." -Oscar Wilde

"Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability is in the opponent" -Sun Tzu
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

The choices aren't multiple-choiced here alas my non-participation in the survey of this thread.

Furthermore, I'd like to say that I would love to leave and be in society that isn't worried about "get +1 up on ya/to prove they are worthy of not losing their job if they fire someone else to make it look like they are doing something worthy at their job to appease their HR dept".

There is an article where a woman in Brazil was fired for getting caught masturbating on the job because she got stressed-out easily from it in order to relieve her tension.

The courts ruled that she should be welcomed back to her job and had been. I don't know if she's still working there. If she is, she's allowed to masturbate in the bathroom in the stall even if she's loud and they notice.

I used to do that and I never got caught. Especially if it's co-worker you don't want to fratenize with but she's hot-to-death, you have to live out that figment of your imagination. lol
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

@Everdred,

I came back to the U.S. of Gay to acquire more IT experience as well as trying to be there for my niece via Skype.

The latter hasn't worked out because my sister is always busy but yet she's always updating her FB status and pics of she, my 1.5 year old nephew, and my 6 year old niece.

I will acquire my 2nd SharePoint cert, and my 4th one altogether by the 21st of Sept/this month despite of me being laid-off yesterday on friggin' Labor Day.

I tell ya: if you can live in the U.S. of Gay, you can live anywhere else that has civil structure.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I went abroad to find a wife. Maybe the prime directive has lost its way. Well I've seen the downsides to "owning" a woman, that's for sure. But if I find The One, I'll put a ring on it.

Now I'm just content to be abroad. I guess a side objective is to live in every Asian country.

I've actually got interested in programming again, and I have a gigantic amount of time to teach myself anything new.

Cash wise I've still got the same amount as when I quit my job over 6 months ago. Foreigners are seen as walking ATM machines in Asia though, so if you want to stay here a while, you need to run a tight ship.

I don't know about doing business in Asia though. Business here is ugly. ASEAN is the most corrupt group of countries on the planet. Sheesh. I'm happy just doing geek stuff.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Montanaland
Freshman Poster

Post by Montanaland »

My reason is to experience a new "foreign" place and its women. That being said Esl in Korea seems like the path of least resistance...but I'm not completly sold on that country. Many..many (even N.Korea maybe?) places far exceed where im at now.
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

While in the military, my father was stationed in Japan, Okinawa, Philippines, Guam and Panama. The longest assignments were in Okinawa and Panama.

The reason he preferred overseas assignments was to get away from the U.S. politics, social upheavals and instability. The military bases offered a more orderly and stable environment and protection under U.S. jurisdiction. At the same time, the local attractions were just a hop, skip and jump away.

I pretty much feel the same way about the need to eventually get out of the U.S. for the same reasons. The U.S. has degenerated into a third world country. Problem is why would I want to go abroad to a third world country where the problems in the U.S. originated and where I'll find the same problems?

Any expat communities abroad in Philippines, Thailand or Latin America that offers the orderly and security of a U.S. military base?
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Multiple reasons. First, , the more libertarian I became, the more I saw where our country (the US was going), and thus decided to look into traveling abroad. Second, with all the draconian laws, I am worried legally speaking. Third, I don't think that America is the business capital anymore, so I want to try opportunities elsewhere, Fourth, when I ran across Winston's site, it gave me even more reasons to go abroad, and thus i started to go into hyper mode trying to move towards that option. And the final reason is my aspergers. I would like to live in a society that downplays it due to me being a "foreigner", but also are more forgiving of my mistakes, and don't look down on me because I am wired differently. So basically, a new life.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Halwick wrote:While in the military, my father was stationed in Japan, Okinawa, Philippines, Guam and Panama. The longest assignments were in Okinawa and Panama.

The reason he preferred overseas assignments was to get away from the U.S. politics, social upheavals and instability. The military bases offered a more orderly and stable environment and protection under U.S. jurisdiction. At the same time, the local attractions were just a hop, skip and jump away.

I pretty much feel the same way about the need to eventually get out of the U.S. for the same reasons. The U.S. has degenerated into a third world country. Problem is why would I want to go abroad to a third world country where the problems in the U.S. originated and where I'll find the same problems?

Any expat communities abroad in Philippines, Thailand or Latin America that offers the orderly and security of a U.S. military base?
I don't know your budget, but Jeff Berwick and Doug Casey have communities in South America (Doug Casey is in Argentina). Both are geared towards freedom loving Americans.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com