Joomla, JAVA, MySQL, SEO HTML, etc. say WHAT!? Holla back yo

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
rudder
Junior Poster

Joomla, JAVA, MySQL, SEO HTML, etc. say WHAT!? Holla back yo

Post by rudder »

Am I the only one on here that predicts that people who specialize in this sort of stuff are entering the most competitive rat race in modern history? With the pace of technological advancement, you'll soon be having to learn new systems on a monthly basis just to keep up, all the while competing with people from places like Bangladesh that will do the same work for pennies on the dollar. And it requires one to sit at a computer all the time staring at a screen. Good luck.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

The benefit of this sort of stuff is that it let's you go into business for yourself.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

what fschmidt said. anyone can do simple stuff. What can you do different?
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
royalism
Freshman Poster

Post by royalism »

Yeah... I thought about that. Don't forget about India and Philippines, they are places for outsourcing for computer science etc.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

We should have an I.T. sub-forum.

We got the Momopi's, the XiongMao's, the Rock's, DaAdventurer/Graphic Designers, the E. Irizarry's, the Falcon crests, the F. Schmidt's, the aozora13's, the Mark Lambo's, the freaky Black Kai's, etc. whom would be excellent contributors.
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Re: Joomla, JAVA, MySQL, SEO HTML, etc. say WHAT!? Holla bac

Post by C.J. »

rudder wrote:Am I the only one on here that predicts that people who specialize in this sort of stuff are entering the most competitive rat race in modern history? With the pace of technological advancement, you'll soon be having to learn new systems on a monthly basis just to keep up, all the while competing with people from places like Bangladesh that will do the same work for pennies on the dollar. And it requires one to sit at a computer all the time staring at a screen. Good luck.
That's how it is for EVERYONE who banks on the net boom. 3rd worlders have the lucrative service-related sectors down pat, because they literally have nothing better to do!

You can't compete with them for the future there. You gotta go where they can't go. For example, Xbox Live/XBLIG isn't well-supported in 3rd world countries. So the only they can do is develop for others in this regard.

However, Microsoft has laid out tons of documentation and tutorials for the laymen, because they have dedicated support teams to do this. So they can't take advantage when it comes to XBLIG, because you'd have to be stupid to ask a 3rd world dev team for help, when there's a library of info on C# and XNA to read. The other deterrent is that indie game developers are generally poor, so there's no money to be made. This is where a western developer can shine if they have programming experience. And I highly suggest people take advantage of this market soon, before Microsoft starts bringing out the big guns. Once the Xbox One is released, Everyone's gonna be chomping at the bait.

So you have to match your skill set, to a market that accommodates it, even to a minimal degree. Once your skills are up to par, adapting is easy - all you have to do is fit your skills to the desired market of your choice. Finding the opportunities to match, that's the hard part even for seasoned veterans.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

And CJ should contribute to the IT HA subforum too!
RedMenace
Freshman Poster

Post by RedMenace »

This is precisely why I chose to study EEE at university because computer science and programming are generally dominated by Indians and other Asian countries who will do it for much much cheaper price in your currency than you ever could. However in their currency it's not so cheap so its like fighting an uphill battle.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Not so worried. $1 an hour code looks like $1 an hour code.

Indian outsourcing has had its day - we Westerners can't understand what they say or write.

SE Asia - no smart people here it would seem.

China has smart people but I can't see Western companies outsourcing IT to there.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Quality computer code, just like quality art, literature and such like, can only be created by white men in the main, but whorporations will not hire them in large numbers, which is why the IT industry is now largely a non-productive scam.
Dragon
Junior Poster

Post by Dragon »

RedMenace wrote:This is precisely why I chose to study EEE at university because computer science and programming are generally dominated by Indians and other Asian countries who will do it for much much cheaper price in your currency than you ever could. However in their currency it's not so cheap so its like fighting an uphill battle.
If by EEE you mean electrical engineering, then that's not safe either. A lot of companies are outsourcing that or bringing in HB1 Visas here for cheaper. Take it from someone also studying engineering. It's a myth that engineers are in demand now in the US, Canada, UK, Germany, etc.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2011 ... -graduates

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013 ... -epi-study
RedMenace
Freshman Poster

Post by RedMenace »

Dragon wrote:
RedMenace wrote:This is precisely why I chose to study EEE at university because computer science and programming are generally dominated by Indians and other Asian countries who will do it for much much cheaper price in your currency than you ever could. However in their currency it's not so cheap so its like fighting an uphill battle.
If by EEE you mean electrical engineering, then that's not safe either. A lot of companies are outsourcing that or bringing in HB1 Visas here for cheaper. Take it from someone also studying engineering. It's a myth that engineers are in demand now in the US, Canada, UK, Germany, etc.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2011 ... -graduates

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013 ... -epi-study
I know but the UK government is encouraging companies to hire locals first. Because the UK produces a lot less engineers there will not be too much competition for a local engineering graduate. They hire foreign engineers because most students go to university to study English, Music, Art e.t.c which I think is not very employable. This is why UK companies have to hire foreign workers. EEE is Electrical and Electronic Engineering. It's has much broader employment opportunities. I am also a programmer and web developer and I plan to become an entrepreneur.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

RedMenace wrote:I know but the UK government is encouraging companies to hire locals first.
:lol:
Because the UK produces a lot less engineers there will not be too much competition for a local engineering graduate.

The reason the UK produces few engineers is that men realize there will be no jobs for them in engineering.
rudder
Junior Poster

Re: Joomla, JAVA, MySQL, SEO HTML, etc. say WHAT!? Holla bac

Post by rudder »

...The capitalist boa constrictor oligopoly tightens its stranglehold on the world's people....simultaneously creating a system in which all must participate, while corporate scalability demands the elimination of "redundancies" and requires a more efficient, robotically-based workforce. The system doesn't need you, but you need the system.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

If you want to be a JAVA programmer, also consider learning Groovy and Scala.

If you're from a developer background but don't want to work as a developer, consider job transitions to Build Engineer, Release Engineer, etc.