Can't get ANY job

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Can't get ANY job

Post by djfourmoney »

Jeremy wrote:
djfourmoney wrote:
momopi wrote:
Cornfed wrote: The reason dogsbody-type jobs in remote mining towns pay above minimum wage is partly that it is horrendously expensive to live in those places, so people need the money just to get by, and partly that the mining company have to put money into the local community. There is no shortage of people who want to work in mining towns. Indeed, if you talk to any miners it is likely that many of their friends and relatives are constantly saying to them "Get us in! Get us in!"
The biggest expense in Ft Mac is housing, and this has to do with government policy because most of the land is Crown Land that are rarely made available for sale to developers. To off-set the housing expense, you rent a room instead of an apartment. This is do-able for single, able-bodied young men who can tough it out, but hard on families. There are job openings all the time because people get burned out and leave.

It's not my job to convince anyone to go apply for employment there. If any Canadian members here wish to do so, they should do it because they want to, not because they expect someone to convince them. Even if you don't get hired, the most that you'd lose is time spent reading job ads and submitting your resume.
True...

I gave some suggestions they were ignored, which I am not surprised. One of them is an opportunity to be self-employed, but nope.
We don't get paid for our plasma in Canada.

Looks like I might have landed a part-time, minimum wage job anyway. It's the same job I had during my first two years of uni. *Sigh* What a life this is.
I also said you could become a DJ and do parties, weddings and nightclubs.

Simple Controllers are under $100

Numark DJ2GO - $60

CMD Micro - $65-$70

You can get powered speakers for about $140 each (10") and tripods (foldable) for under $100 each.

Go to Craigslist and find plenty of people that are selling their external drives with plenty of music on it for under $100 and save you from looking for music.

You can rent a simple trust and some lights for a reasonable rate.

How much should you charge?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

xiongmao wrote:Well I started Happier Back Home for all the people who think going abroad is going to solve all their problems.

Actually Thailand is full of foreigners who have come here to try and solve their problems.

The reality is that your life overseas will probably be pretty much the same as it was back home. Mine is near identical, but all that's changed is that I'm 100% self employed now.

As far as jobs go, there are jobs overseas but you need a niche. I saw a programming job here recently. There are very few skilled Thais, and a foreigner could easily have got the job. Unemployment is less than 1% here.

In IT you need a niche and experience of working in that niche.

Always be on the lookout for IDEAS. I saw some cool software when I worked in London. It was a small niche idea - too small for employers. But the following year I lost my job, and spent 10 weeks making my own version of that software to sell online. I ended up selling almost $100,000 worth of it over 10 years.

In English teaching you need to choose your gig carefully. The teachers at my University back in China were having the time of their lives. But next door in the private college I heard the teachers couldn't leave the grounds all day. Another tip is to no get involved in office politics. Go to school, go to your class, then go home.
I saw Deal Extreme and others offering Customer Service positions to Native Engine Speakers.

The truth is, Men want jobs that the women cream their jeans over. So impressed they would be with your job they would tell anybody that would listen.

Its complete BS and I call that being in Western mode, appeasing Western Women when it should be pretty clear now you shouldn't be doing that.

Thailand is full of foreigners for several reasons, most of it Weather related.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

What advice should I give my younger brother in regards to him finding work? He graduated with a degree in English two years ago, and has been unable to find any full-time work.

He's worked as a unlicensed taxi-driver, part-time historical guide, and worked in a Korean fast food place--all part-time with very low pay. I feel bad for him...He also doesn't want to to each English like me, so I guess going overseas is out-of-the-question. He's interning for a company this year, but the likelihood of him obtaining employment with that company is nill.

The future doesn't look too bright for his generation...
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

zboy1,

I agree with the employment situation. I think the current stats are that the number of people who are employed is 63 percent of the working population but this has not really changed since 1978. The Washington Post had an article on this.

I actually was fortunate that I found a internship (traineeship) when I wanted to work abroad. I was able to go to Europe where I wanted to go although I could not go to my target country, it was a good experience.

I think if you have an idea for self-employment, then your bro can actually get work briefly as a English Teacher while he can get an idea to start a small business in China and/or Korea if he is able too. I think that there are still untapped markets out of North America and Europe. As DJ mentioned, the job is only a launching pad. Honestly, I would not teach English but if you do want to avoid using your savings, it is a good choice until you want to start a business local or online or to do freelancing.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

momopi wrote: The biggest expense in Ft Mac is housing, and this has to do with government policy because most of the land is Crown Land that are rarely made available for sale to developers. To off-set the housing expense, you rent a room instead of an apartment. This is do-able for single, able-bodied young men who can tough it out, but hard on families. There are job openings all the time because people get burned out and leave.

It's not my job to convince anyone to go apply for employment there. If any Canadian members here wish to do so, they should do it because they want to, not because they expect someone to convince them. Even if you don't get hired, the most that you'd lose is time spent reading job ads and submitting your resume.
There might be a little more to it. Companies don't generally just shower money on random unemployed people just because they type stuff into an online form. Most people would likely have to get relevant qualifications and licenses, travel etc.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

zboy1 wrote:What advice should I give my younger brother in regards to him finding work? He graduated with a degree in English two years ago, and has been unable to find any full-time work.

He's worked as a unlicensed taxi-driver, part-time historical guide, and worked in a Korean fast food place--all part-time with very low pay. I feel bad for him...He also doesn't want to to each English like me, so I guess going overseas is out-of-the-question. He's interning for a company this year, but the likelihood of him obtaining employment with that company is nill.

The future doesn't look too bright for his generation...
I hope you have been appropriately critical of your parents. It was their job to set you up for life in the adult world and they blew it. They should be able to make a phone call and set you up with a job, or set you up in business or whatever. They had the chance to do this when times were good and they failed to do so. When you get down to it, one human life doesn't amount to a hill of beans and the most important thing is to set the scene for future generations. Your parents, like mine, failed to do that. Shame on them.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

djfourmoney wrote:
zacb wrote:
djfourmoney wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
publicduende wrote: It's true, the UK too are full of unemployed people, and actually always have. Problem is, those people are usually the extremely lazy and/or problematic one. It doesn't seem to be your case. Good luck!
Lol, I guess it is easy to think there is no shortage of employment if you simply declare that millions of unemployed people don't want jobs. I suppose your explanation of the events of '08 would be that millions of people all over Britain and the world woke up one morning and, suddenly and for no apparent reason, all decided they wanted to be welfare layabouts. Same with 1929 no doubt. And people who are starving? Why, obviously they are just too lazy to put food into their mouths. Naturally if these people stopped being so lazy, an unlimited amount of jobs and food for them would immediately magically be puffed into existence. The financial system is perfect, you see. All hail the Jews.
I here this Libertarian based nonsense every so often. The problem isn't the system, you're just not manipulating it correctly. Riiight....

In 2008 there were millions of people laid off because companies saw demand topple. But when some demand was restored, they didn't rehire those workers, why?

Make your current employees work harder (I saw this try to play itself out at my old job) for the same pay and bring in more automation, like at Amazon warehouses.

So while I get EBT and won't take stupid jobs, the reality is even dumb jobs like cashier are not in my area and since I don't have a car, using public transportation isn't possible, it's actually unreasonable.

Plenty of people in the same circumstances, that's why SSI-D applicants have skyrocketed. These are mostly people that have exhausted their unemployment benefits.

Enrollment in to all sorts of secondary education has never been higher, but that hasn't resulted in more jobs being offered. Sure there some fields that are short on workers but the majority of them are in parts of the country nobody wants to live.

Recently I saw a story about couples not divorcing but actually living in two residences as many are choosing to make it work even if one spouse is working in another state or even another part of the country.

Americans are/have adjusted to the crisis but the suffering continues, so its NOT the workers fault. The system has been changed (over time) to put you under its thumb.
Not to be nit picky, but technically that would be a conservative argument.

While he does not speak for everyone, I think this is general libertarian thinking. And while of course we would argue that the more welfare there is, the less generally people work (ie France). But I believe that libertarians would attribute this to poor economics, then due to millions of people being lazy (and the arguments about people being lazy generally apply to the welfare queens).
That's a conservative argument?

I blame the Government because its captured by Big Business and Big Business uses Government to keep its competitive advantage in the marketplace.

You can't call that Capitalism....

French People are lazy?????

Wow, just wow.
I never said they were lazy, I just said they worked less. We worked (until recently) 40+ hours a week. Them? 30 or so. Numbers don't lies. I am just arguing that employee protections and number of days off led to that, not necessarily that they are lazy.

As for the conservative argument, who do you hear saying that these "welfare bums" need to find a job? Cato intellectuals? Or welfare "conservatives"? While I and others have called for the eventual elimination of welfare, the problem is not with the welfare, but the underlying economic problems. Fix those, then we can talk about welfare. Take Ron Paul vs Paul Ryan. Who is calling for cuts in Social Security? That is what I thought.

And I never called that capitalism. That is my point. You need to get rid of things like fiat banking and the farm subsidies, and debate 100% reserve banking. So unless you deal with that, welfare will become leviathan.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 16th, 2020, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Cornfed wrote:
publicduende wrote: It's true, the UK too are full of unemployed people, and actually always have. Problem is, those people are usually the extremely lazy and/or problematic one. It doesn't seem to be your case. Good luck!
Lol, I guess it is easy to think there is no shortage of employment if you simply declare that millions of unemployed people don't want jobs. I suppose your explanation of the events of '08 would be that millions of people all over Britain and the world woke up one morning and, suddenly and for no apparent reason, all decided they wanted to be welfare layabouts. Same with 1929 no doubt. And people who are starving? Why, obviously they are just too lazy to put food into their mouths. Naturally if these people stopped being so lazy, an unlimited amount of jobs and food for them would immediately magically be puffed into existence. The financial system is perfect, you see. All hail the Jews.
Dude, relax. I wasn't making any general statement about UK government doctoring employments statistics. I know it's very common with your BLS dot gov, a bit less so in European countries. The job market in the UK, especially at the lower end of pay, is quite bleak. London is a bit different, as it's a city where every other shop is a restaurant or coffee shop franchise, and they hire a lot of young guys, regardless of their level of spoken English and their qualifications, so anybody with a pulse and a willingness to fill up a form will at least land a £6.50 an hour job to live in flatshare and explore London and/or other job opportunities further down the road.

This is what I see in London everyday. If anybody doesn't believe me, I invite him to come over here. What else could I add?
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

publicduende wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
Dude, relax. I wasn't making any general statement about UK government doctoring employments statistics. I know it's very common with your BLS dot gov, a bit less so in European countries. The job market in the UK, especially at the lower end of pay, is quite bleak. London is a bit different, as it's a city where every other shop is a restaurant or coffee shop franchise, and they hire a lot of young guys, regardless of their level of spoken English and their qualifications, so anybody with a pulse and a willingness to fill up a form will at least land a £6.50 an hour job to live in flatshare and explore London and/or other job opportunities further down the road.

This is what I see in London everyday. If anybody doesn't believe me, I invite him to come over here. What else could I add?

I have heard the English people are leaving England in doves because bad immigration policies are turning it in to a real mess?
Time to Hide!
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Moretorque wrote:
publicduende wrote:
Cornfed wrote:

I have heard the English people are leaving England in doves because bad immigration policies are turning it in to a real mess?
You didn't quite hear it correctly.

People are leaving Ireland in droves -

As far as I can tell there is no mass movement leaving the UK. If Brits leave at all, they go to France and Spain for better weather, usually pensioners.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Moretorque wrote:I have heard the English people are leaving England in doves because bad immigration policies are turning it in to a real mess?
The trends I see are:

1) relatively skilled people finally getting a bit more adventurous and leaving Old Blighty for places like Switzerland and Germany, Dubai and Riyadh, and the old favourites Australia and US. The labour market is tightening up in places like Singapore and Hong Kong.
2) migrants from improving countries, like Poland, Czech Republic and Hungary are leaving in droves. I read that the UK have lost 30% of their Polish community during the 2007-2009 crisis, driven away by the bleaker job market and the strenghtening Zloty.

Immigration policies are getting tighter here, too, as far as I can see. They won't even allow as many students in for MBAs and Masters, let alone give Tier 1 (postgrad 2-year student) visas. This is hurting the lucrative Masters industry quite a lot.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

zacb wrote: The only problem with ios is that I believe you need a Mac in order to program for it (last I checked). But since I am kinda in love with Android, I ill definitely. I am also considering the Microsoft infrastructure (which includes Xbox, Windows Phone, and Mono, which can run cross platform on ios, as well as a few other systems), but the only problem is I would need to learn C#, which I might learn after Java. So yeah, I am on board. Now just to Finish learning Java and to then learn Android :D.
It is possible to run OSX on non-Apple hardware:
http://www.osx86project.org/

I had OSX installed on my Sony laptop running Mac version of WoW and iPhone SDK some time ago, it ran just fine. Hackintosh requires various tweaks and I could not get the built-in Ethernet or wireless network to work, so I had to use an USB dongle for network connectivity

You could also look into used Macs to save $$. I own an early 2009 MacBook (white) and it should be compatible to OSX 10.9 or greater. Make sure the Mac supports current (and near future) version of OSX or else the iOS SDK may not run.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Cornfed wrote: There might be a little more to it. Companies don't generally just shower money on random unemployed people just because they type stuff into an online form. Most people would likely have to get relevant qualifications and licenses, travel etc.
If the Canadian applicant actually has relevant experience and certs, jobs like Rig Welder with 5 years experience pays over $100/hr:
http://www.fortmcmurrayonline.com/jobs/ ... r.job.aspx

I'm not expecting random unemployed people from this forum to be pre-qualified for that. The kind of entry level jobs that I posted pays 15%-20% of what the Rig Welder makes in hourly wage. Like I said previously, it doesn't cost anything to type stuff into an online form or e-mail a resume.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

momopi wrote:
zacb wrote: The only problem with ios is that I believe you need a Mac in order to program for it (last I checked). But since I am kinda in love with Android, I ill definitely. I am also considering the Microsoft infrastructure (which includes Xbox, Windows Phone, and Mono, which can run cross platform on ios, as well as a few other systems), but the only problem is I would need to learn C#, which I might learn after Java. So yeah, I am on board. Now just to Finish learning Java and to then learn Android :D.
It is possible to run OSX on non-Apple hardware:
http://www.osx86project.org/

I had OSX installed on my Sony laptop running Mac version of WoW and iPhone SDK some time ago, it ran just fine. Hackintosh requires various tweaks and I could not get the built-in Ethernet or wireless network to work, so I had to use an USB dongle for network connectivity

You could also look into used Macs to save $$. I own an early 2009 MacBook (white) and it should be compatible to OSX 10.9 or greater. Make sure the Mac supports current (and near future) version of OSX or else the iOS SDK may not run.
Interesting. I thought about maybe trying to run a hackintosh. Thanks
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com

Return to “General Discussions”