Just got the Friday Layoff

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
rudder
Junior Poster

Just got the Friday Layoff

Post by rudder »

I was working a pizza delivery job for two weeks, and the owner sat me down before I was supposed to start my shift today.

I pressed him for a good reason, because he was being very vague, i.e. "need to be more efficient.....drivers need to be self-sufficient...just not a good fit." I never messed up any of my deliveries, apparently he just thought I took too long to assemble the orders and that I asked people too many questions. I did ask veteran coworkers plenty of questions about the best way to do procedures and where to find things, because I had a hell of a time figuring things out on my own since they never gave me any proper training in the first place before throwing me in the deep end. I also took my time to assemble orders, because I wanted to make sure they had everything. In my eyes, taking a couple extra minutes to double check everything is better than showing up to someone's house and forgetting their side salad.

So, I wasn't perfect after two weeks...CUT!

Anyway, I'm not surprised, but I do feel unfairly discriminated. There are other drivers that aren't that great either, and they have really shitty attitudes. The assistant manager is a total Americunt who you can't even ask simple questions to without getting a nasty response in a nasty tone of voice. One of the male cooks is constantly grabbing a female cook's ass. How's that for a slice of modern Americana?

I'm just worried I'll encounter the same bullshit anywhere I work. It seems like anytime I work there's always someone bitching at me for not being fast enough or hardworking enough or whatever. What can a guy do?
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

I know the feeling. I was working for someone, and they just said to call back about the next job. And I called, but after a few times, I gave up. He never called me back. Don't feel bad. Hold in there. BTW, are you college age? You sound like it, but correct me if I am wrong.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Some people are impossible to work for, 90% of the problems in any business are caused by management or lack of it. Whether you quit or get fired from a shitty job the result is the same. I just started a new job this week and it looks like I'm not going to get paid so today might be my last day too.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

I think those books from Loompanic's were right, the best thing to do is consulting. Now just to get experience. :D
Last edited by zacb on September 13th, 2013, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

Rudder, that is sad especially since it seemed that you actually liked the type of atmosphere of your job. I am trying to change jobs too. I was rejected from a job I applied based on being vague about doing a presentation in MS Word. IT related job that you had to teach users. I was a little surprised at this and the guy who was going to push me forward in the interview stopped pushing me forward for the opportunity. I was being too honest how I did not like to do that presentation to people. Currently, I am looking at other opportunities.

Rudder what was your studies back in school. Also, since I think you speak Spanish fluently you can possibly try to look for work that requires you to speak Spanish and English.

Regarding to managers... Taco is correct. Most managers are really impossible to work for because they are not good at managing people and how to resolve problems. One example at my current position which I am trying to leave from soon is an employee that takes constant small vacations. An example is that my job is IT shiftwork so he works Sun-Thursday but constantly writes up on our board to tell when he is off Fri-Sun. However, he has very limited vacation. The manager has not done anything and I think even now he is going to cover him for the latest small vacation he is planning.

Sorry Taco, it seems that markets are crappy for jobs everywhere, I hope I can move on to another IT job as although it is decent pay the work/life balance is crap.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

@OP,

Don't worry; they will hire a Mexican woman whom can speak abhorrent English half the hourly wage. EOE x 3 = Mexican, woman, minority -> pro-feminism. Fixed.
"This ain't funny so don't you dare laugh".
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

zacb wrote:I think those books from Loompanic's were right, the best thing to do is consulting. Now just to get experience. :D
What books? Consulting is actually something I'm on track for. I just need to figure out how to get more relevant experience. You really need to be the top dog in your particular niche in order to pull that off. As a fairly young man (25) I'm discredited right off the bat. How do you get more experience doing something like reforestation without having to settle for volunteerism or unpaid internships.

I'd like to do large-scale property reforestation for clients with economical tree species.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:@OP,

Don't worry; they will hire a Mexican woman whom can speak abhorrent English half the hourly wage. EOE x 3 = Mexican, woman, minority -> pro-feminism. Fixed.
There are only a couple Mexican women working as cooks. The other women are americans, and they work as cashiers and waitresses. All the drivers are men. Most of the cooks are men. The owner is a man.

The irony is that another manager of another pizza place called me this afternoon and offered me a driver position. I'll probably take it, but who knows what kind of situation it'll be and who I'll be working with.
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr.Darcy »

Is it a major chain pizza restaurant. Dude, I delivered pizza for papa johns over the summer and the only way to get fired over there was to murder a customer or something.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

rudder wrote:
E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:@OP,

There are only a couple Mexican women working as cooks. The other women are americans, and they work as cashiers and waitresses. All the drivers are men. Most of the cooks are men. The owner is a man.

The irony is that another manager of another pizza place called me this afternoon and offered me a driver position. I'll probably take it, but who knows what kind of situation it'll be and who I'll be working with.
Go for it. Just do the best that you can and don't think negatively. #TheAmericanPretentiousWay
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Mr.Darcy wrote:Is it a major chain pizza restaurant. Dude, I delivered pizza for papa johns over the summer and the only way to get fired over there was to murder a customer or something.
The one I got the offer from today is Dominos. The place I got fired from is a local business.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

rudder wrote:
Mr.Darcy wrote:Is it a major chain pizza restaurant. Dude, I delivered pizza for papa johns over the summer and the only way to get fired over there was to murder a customer or something.
The one I got the offer from today is Dominos. The place I got fired from is a local business.
Big business is s.hitting on mom-and-pop's businesses anyway. Wal-Mart can sit you down and tell you a "Once Upon A Time..." story for you if you'd like.