Best way to move to Manhattan from Tennessee?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

Best way to move to Manhattan from Tennessee?

Post by Mr.Darcy »

I'm in college currently studying finance. I stayed in upper east side with my family for a week and I loved it up there. It was way better than the hickland antebellum south worshiping state I live in.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Yeesh, are you crazy? I live 20 minutes outside of NYC and I hate it here. Cold, pervasive liberalism. City's alright, but I've been there enough times. I'm trying to make the exact opposite move. Going to live in Tennessee starting next year. I specifically want to live in the "the hickland antebellum south worshiping state."
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

abcdavid01 wrote:Yeesh, are you crazy? I live 20 minutes outside of NYC and I hate it here. Cold, pervasive liberalism. City's alright, but I've been there enough times. I'm trying to make the exact opposite move. Going to live in Tennessee starting next year. I specifically want to live in the "the hickland antebellum south worshiping state."
What influenced your decision to move to Tennessee? I will also be moving somewhere next year but I haven't narrowed down my choices and part of my decision will be where I can get a job and costs of living.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Tsar wrote:
abcdavid01 wrote:Yeesh, are you crazy? I live 20 minutes outside of NYC and I hate it here. Cold, pervasive liberalism. City's alright, but I've been there enough times. I'm trying to make the exact opposite move. Going to live in Tennessee starting next year. I specifically want to live in the "the hickland antebellum south worshiping state."
What influenced your decision to move to Tennessee? I will also be moving somewhere next year but I haven't narrowed down my choices and part of my decision will be where I can get a job and costs of living.
What do you mean? Are you moving in the U.S. or abroad? Well I've lived in New Jersey since a month after I was born and I've never really like it here. I've been to half the states though and I've always like the South. Cost of living is of course usually cheaper. I reckon (like OP said) the people are more conservative at least in comparison. Bible Belt and all that. Means that even if they don't go far enough by our standards resisting liberalism, they're at least a lot nicer. It's cold up here, both the climate and the people. But I don't have to tell you that.

I watch Wife Swap a lot and very often they'll do a North/South trade. Like one of the episodes had a mother from Kentucky who was a dumb housewife who served her husband. Blonde White American lady. The other mom that she switched families with a also a blonde White lady about the same age, but she was from one of the Northern states and she was a careerist. Worked all the time and never saw her family. Her relationship with her kids was built around shopping, buying love and all that. Reminds me of my family. But anyway, the woman from Kentucky wasn't fat at all, but she had kind of a round face and soft skin. The Northern mom had sharp facial lines and leathery skin and looked like a walking corspe using makeup to try to hide the worst spots. Putting her work over her family had a toll on her physical beauty. The Northern family treated the Kentucky mother like trash. They were a lot smarter, sure, but they had no morals. I know Wife Swap always tries to find the extremes, but just from my own experiences I think there's a lot of truth. There's a lot of similar episodes like this.

I'll PM you more specific stuff though...
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

One does not simply move to the Upper East Side.

Manhattan is expensive as shit, you'll pay over a grand to live in a roach infested closet. Upside is you don't need a car and there are people of every sort around. If your heart is set on it, you need to find a job that starts at a minimum of 50k. Good luck. For the record, I love NYC, but I don't think a life there would be worth it.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

I was thinking about taking finance, but I am now thinking of changing majors to a programming related degree. In between the number of graduates for finance, the cost of living in New York, it's liberalism, and how good I would need to be at math, I am thinking of switching. And just to get in, you need to do an internship, and that alone does not guarantee anything. Sometimes I wonder if Warren Buffet or Carl Ichan or older schoolers would be able to be who they are today if Wall Street was as open as it was today. So yeah, if you were to go some place, I would say try for an emerging area, like Sao Paulo, Chile, South Africa, etc. Look into that.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

Move to Montreal. I've never been to NYC, but I loved Montreal when I went when I was a kid. Canada's a tad more expensive than USA for stuff (or a lot, but generally in my recollection it's like 30% more expensive,) but if you get a job there even minimum wage is $9-11 an hour.

Anyway, apartments in Montreal from when I checked on Craigslist tended to be like $600 for a 1 bedroom. http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/apa/4064947821.html See?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/abo/4063481672.html

I think the choice is obvious.

Anyway I loved Montreal. Loved it to death. Also, the French speaking aspect will make you feel happier abroad, as you sorta will be. Also could learn French? It's supposedly the easiest place to learn French.

But yeah, if I wanna move somewhere not in the woods on this continent, Montreal will be it.
TruthOrConsequences
Freshman Poster

Post by TruthOrConsequences »

^ Oh yeah.

Good idea. Not like Canada is a foreign country or anything. Not like they have residency requirements to work there or anything.

Plus the Canadian employers are exceptionally harsh on hiring foreigners. They will always tell you... You don't have any Canadian experience....
I mean there's tons and tons of Hindus and Asians working menial jobs there and they all came from their native countries with PhDs and such...
Jusqu'au bout a tout prix..
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

TruthOrConsequences wrote:^ Oh yeah.

Good idea. Not like Canada is a foreign country or anything. Not like they have residency requirements to work there or anything.

Plus the Canadian employers are exceptionally harsh on hiring foreigners. They will always tell you... You don't have any Canadian experience....
I mean there's tons and tons of Hindus and Asians working menial jobs there and they all came from their native countries with PhDs and such...
Still easier than f***ing Manhattan.

Also, you can stay 6 months at a time as a "tourist" and go back for a day and repeat. Yes, it's not all sunshine and roses, but again, easier than NYC.
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Re: Best way to move to manhatten from Tn

Post by Teal Lantern »

Mr.Darcy wrote:I'm in college currently studying finance. I stayed in upper east side with my family for a week and I loved it up there. It was way better than the hickland antebellum south worshiping state I live in.
Do you mean how to move your furniture & stuff?
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything