What is your favorite subculture in the United States?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

What is your favorite subculture in the United States?

Post by Temprano26 »

I think people's beefs with the US are mainly with the mainstream culture that not everyone fits in with. Some of us have to search to find real communities through getting active and keeping an open mind.

I have said before I am studying to be a massage therapist and being a part of their subculture makes it more than a career. It is populated with a lot of women, gay guys, lesbians, trans-genders, writers, artists, different races. Massage class has a strong sense of communal values that I am sorry to say I have found missing in the US. The mainstream culture seems to only care about money and superficial social status. Massage therapists seek to inspire and to be loved for their healing abilities. People believe that I was meant to be here and that I will succeed in this path. That is what culture is all about, not being individuals who are out for themselves.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

I like hanging around the expat foreign traveler subculture. Quite a bit of New Yorkers are frequent travelers, unlike most ignorant Americans. So, I ask them questions and advice about their experiences overseas. I also like the Korean/Asian immigrant subculture (not Americanized Asians, mind you). I live in Queens, NY around Flushing and Bayside.

You could walk around that place and feel like you're living in Korea, China, or Japan and not America. It's nice getting to eat at popular South Korean restaurant chains like Bon Chon Chicken and Paris Baguette, shopping at Korean supermarkets, and eating at tasty Chinese/Korean/Japanese restaurants, experiencing Asian subculture like anime, and generally being comfortable being Asian without a hint of ridicule or hate. There's also a large Indian population where I live, so it's good whenever I am in the mood for a good chicken tikka masala, LOL.

It's nice being around other Asians and not feeling like I'm some kind of freak or an outsider when I visit some predominantly White or Black neighborhood. I especially hate being stared at whenever I'm in the hood visiting my black friend in the Bronx or visiting my White friend in an all-White neighborhood in Long Island.

Basically, anything that doesn't remind of living in America and American culture is fine with me...Anything that's mainstream with American society--I detest. The last time I truly felt accepted by mainstream America was during the 90s and the alternative music scene. That was during high school, but then I graduated and joined the military. The way American society is headed now...I don't think I'll ever fit in with mainstream American society ever again...
Last edited by zboy1 on August 1st, 2013, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I like Mexican Americans-- they are the friendliest of all.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Bane
Freshman Poster

Post by Bane »

I'm not gonna lie- even though I don't consider myself one, I'm finding I gravitate towards nerds/hipsters quite a bit. I seem to get along with people who are actively distancing themselves from mainstream American culture.

Recent immigrants from East/South/Southeast Asia, Africa and Latin America are also folks I can have easy, natural conversation with.
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." -Oscar Wilde

"Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability is in the opponent" -Sun Tzu
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

I am down with the language learning subculture. I am also down with the dancing subcultures.

I h8 the hipster subculture
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

yeah i am with some guys on the internet. the forum is called HA forum though i don´t know if it makes sense to meet them in real.

in general sport buddies works best for me.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

I've followed the fitness scene for many many years now. It's always good to learn from and share with those that have similar goals and interests. Fitness, if you make time for it, is a very rewarding one...
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

My favorite subculture is Karaite Judaism. Second is a tie between Hasidic Judaism and the Amish.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

ladislav wrote:I like Mexican Americans-- they are the friendliest of all.
OK Gospidin I feel a new thread coming on.......

viewtopic.php?p=150332#150332
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

ladislav wrote:I like Mexican Americans-- they are the friendliest of all.
^^ Same here... But also, even though I'm not white, I like the rockabilly culture that the whites and Mexicans subscribe too in the West Coast. It's about old cars, the old looks, and just hanging out cruising around in packs, going to car shows and just having fun. The men look very tough and the women are so good looking with their throwback makeup. I never see gays, or dikes within this culture... Men and women seem pretty loving towards each other in the rockabilly culture, and the woman seem to stay in their place.

E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Well you guys know me. My favorite sub-culture is gynocastia exhibition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6WDqXPs5o4

I'm not "suspect"; I swear. Jajajajaja
fightforlove
Junior Poster

Post by fightforlove »

Rockers/sub-cultural types. Specifically, the rockabilly, punk, alternative country and roots rock crowds. Some are poseurs, some are narrow-minded bone-heads, but some of them are genuine to the bone, they speak bluntly, are less pretentious than the average individual, and have cooler taste in music/culture (as far as my tastes go).
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

no subculture. There are the subcultures that I "should" be a part of, but I tend to like people on a person to person basis and not based off of some shared interest, which is the problem with the US. Everyone has to have their stupid clique.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Biker gangs are cool for being anti-hero rebels maintaining a manly, patriarchal culture outside of pussified lamestream society.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

libertarians, philosophers, and investors. (if those even are categories)
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com