Do U think college fraternities perpetuate clique culture?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
MatureDJ
Junior Poster

Do U think college fraternities perpetuate clique culture?

Post by MatureDJ »

I was reading this article about the U of Alabama mandating that white sororities admit black coeds.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... as_in.html

It seems to me that this whole system is basically a way for folks to formally set up cliques (i.e., the fraternities/sororities) during the rush period, and then depend on those cliques to make social contacts, including introductions to members of the opposite sex. And at every college, there seems to be some sort of pecking order in which the ones that are considered the top only allow the highest regarded folks - typically done by having current members vouch for the applicant because that member remembers that applicant at his/her old high school as being "cool", etc. - with everyone more or less joining the highest one that takes him/her.

I have a strong feeling that folks here did not partake in this activity. Could you imagine Winston being accepted at a frat? LOL!
Last edited by MatureDJ on September 19th, 2013, 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

Absolutely! Frats are VERY divisive organizations. If they force white ones to let blacks in, they better force the black ones to let whites in theirs too. When you go to a college that lacks alot of diversity, shit like this is much worse. I went to a very diverse college and frats were very harmless. The better ones were the ones like the Business school frats or other professional org-like frats. Very mixed, great networking, and decent folks to make friends with. Far less douchebaggery.

You could not have paid me to go to a school like the U of Alabama, even for athletics. This news does not surprise me at all. Some of the football players there complained about racism last year. Aren't those guys supposed to be gods over there? I guess not!
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Post by Devil Dog »

Of course they perpetuate clique culture. They are nothing but cliques. Lily-white, racist, elitist cliques. In theory they are a good thing. In reality they are shit.

I was a member of a social fraternity, with a live-in fraternity house, at a large midwestern university. Approximately half of the members of this fraternity came from a handful of affluent private and public high schools. It was all about money and exclusion. When I was Rush Chairman, one member saw me talking to a black guy at a rush event. The prick came up to me later and made it clear that he didn't want any blacks in the fraternity.

It is funny. A fraternity is supposed to be about brotherhood, but if I were to make a list of the "f***ing asshole, wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire" people I knew in my college days, all of them would be former fraternity brothers. This particular house had a hazing problem and has been disbanded on that campus. Good riddance.

I am proud to say that none of my kids participated in the Greek system in college.
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr.Darcy »

I'm in a fraternity at a sec school that has a very similar atmosphere to Alabama's. Yes, we have some cliques, but american culture is pretty much molded by cliques. Sororities usually don't let minorities in because of their racist ass alumni. My school has a heavily greek influence, so being in a fraternity raises your position in the social ladder.