Julie Chen = Another self-hating Asian American female

For Asian Americans to discuss Asian American issues and topics.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Julie Chen = Another self-hating Asian American female

Post by zboy1 »

Julie Chen Says Discrimination Forced Her To Get Plastic Surgery On Her Eyes To Look 'Less Chinese'

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/julie-ch ... z2gNI7UQQS

http://jezebel.com/julie-chen-says-she- ... 1332997502

She said her agent told her to get surgery to look "less Asian" and appear more White. How pathetic can you get? She even admitted it on a television show, and said after the surgery to look more Caucasian, she became more successful on television.

It looks she is backtracking due to all the backlash she is receiving, and she is now stating that 'she wasn't trying to look less Chinese with the eye surgery.' Hey, Ladislav, I thought you said Asian women don't experience much racism in America? Apparently you are an expert on all things, 'Asian American,' even though you were never once in your life, ever an Asian American. How can that be?
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Re: Julie Chen=another self-hating Asian American female

Post by kai1275 »

zboy1 wrote:Julie Chen Says Discrimination Forced Her To Get Plastic Surgery On Her Eyes To Look 'Less Chinese'

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/julie-ch ... z2gNI7UQQS

http://jezebel.com/julie-chen-says-she- ... 1332997502

She said her agent told her to get surgery to look "less Asian" and appear more White. How pathetic can you get? She even admitted it on a television show, and said after the surgery to look more Caucasian, she became more successful on television.

It looks she is backtracking due to all the backlash she is receiving, and she is now stating that 'she wasn't trying to look less Chinese with the eye surgery.' Hey, Ladislav, I thought you said Asian women don't experience much racism in America? Apparently you are an expert on all things, 'Asian American,' even though you were never once in your life, ever an Asian American. How can that be?
I have nothing much to add except she is very hot. Annoying but hot. I love her awesome hair the most. :P
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

Also, no one that is not white, will experience racism here in the US. I have had silly white women clutch their purses and get startled by me, while I am wearing a suit or coming out of a car more expensive than what they drive. When I hear Obama describe the same damn things happening to him, I honestly did not know to feel, but I was not shocked that I was not the only one. I was shocked to hear him say that on live TV though.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

For actors and actresses in show business, there's a double-edged sword called typecasting. It can either help you or hurt you in getting roles. Examples include Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker), Tom Baker (Dr Who), various cast members of the original Star Trek series, etc.

For ethnic minorities, you have actresses like Lucy Liu who got her gigs from her "exotic looks" but also stuck with that typecast for years. More recently, on the new TV series "Agents of SHIELD", the character "Skye" is played by "Chole Bennet", who is actually Wang Key-Ling but you wouldn't know she's half Chinese on the show.

She was born in Chicago and has a Chinese father. moved to China to start her career as a pop singer:

When she auditioned for her role in Hollywood, she dyed her hair and used the name "Chloe Bennett" to look as white and mainstream as possible:

As bad as it sounds, had she used "Chloe Wang" and left her hair black, she'd have been typecast into the "exotic beauty" role. But she learned to put on different masks and different languages as the role required. If she got a film role in China, I'm sure she'd dye her hair back to black and start speaking Chinese.