Freelance SEO writing, my story...

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
Digit
Freshman Poster

Post by Digit »

20$ for an article is not spectacular and can easily be done on odesk too.
Best of luck man.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 16th, 2020, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Post by GenYguy »

(deleted)
Last edited by GenYguy on February 13th, 2017, 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Help answer my thread?
viewtopic.php?t=20433
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Post by GenYguy »

(deleted)
Last edited by GenYguy on February 13th, 2017, 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Help answer my thread?
viewtopic.php?t=20433
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster

Post by Voice of Reason »

GenYguy wrote:
Voice of Reason wrote:You can LEARN marketable skills. I didn't begin learning marketable skills until my late twenties, and now I make money online. CHOOSE a skill (or skills) and learn it. This page will help:
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/20 ... edentials/

And to begin with, this:
http://www.seanogle.com/guest-posts/seo ... -beginners

You don't need excellent writing skills to start to make money. And writing improves with time.

You are an introvert. Use this time to learn the skills. Read as much as you can. Stop playing video games. Stop watching TV.

The fact that you are doing SOMETHING (i.e. An Affiliate site ) is a good sign. If it fails, it only means that you have learned something.
Thanks dude, I haven't watched TV in ages and I haven't played any video games for the last couple months (since that's when school started and I am NOT going to fail a third time).

True, I need to try to look at it positively. If my website fails then I will learn something.

Thanks for the links, I'll check em out.

What other sort of marketable skills can I learn on my own from the internet that will allow me to work from home anywhere?
Check out the sites like Elancer and Feelancer. I wouldn't suggest these sites because you're completing against Indians who will work for $1 an hour, but they give you a good idea of what sort of skills people pay for over the internet.

I suggest you learn Internet Marketing...not only can you apply this to your own business but you can for other businesses. It is a decent learning curve (and I'm still learning it myself) but if you get good at it you can earn decent money...just say you use these skills to increase a companies profits by $10,000 a month and that only takes you 10 hours of work, you can justify asking for $1000 for your services. You are getting paid for the value you provide, not the hours you work.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Post by GenYguy »

(deleted)
Last edited by GenYguy on February 13th, 2017, 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Help answer my thread?
viewtopic.php?t=20433
Digit
Freshman Poster

Post by Digit »

GenYguy wrote:
Digit wrote:20$ for an article is not spectacular and can easily be done on odesk too.
Best of luck man.
Ya thanks man. I plan to move on to Odesk when I got some experience under my belt. Right now, my profile would be pretty sparse. I'd probably get paid less than I deserve, which is why I will just set my own rates and find all the local internet marketing companies which I bank on more because there's already a slight common bond. If Kevin Cole could make $3000 in two months at his rate, then it's doable. I can do it...
When I started out I put up ANYTHING as portfolio pieces. One thing I used as portfolio was a travel report I wrote for university. So if you have ever written anything you can slap it into a word document and use it as your first portfolio.
Then when you get your first jobs youre actually getting PAID to build up your portfolio ;)

Its true there are lot of bottom feeders on these sites, indians and Philippinos who work for pennys. But they provide shitty work and not everyone wants that. There are lots of clients who are looking for professional, quality writers. So rule #1 never compete on price because you cant compete with these third world people. Position yourself as a professional and a native speaker who produces quality work, this is what Indians and Philippinos cant offer.

Anyway great to see you taking action Im sure you will rock it. Ghost provided a great perspective on this whole game. Just make 20-30 bucks a day and you can live the dream.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Update

Post by GenYguy »

(deleted)
Last edited by GenYguy on February 13th, 2017, 1:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Starting to have Success

Post by GenYguy »

(deleted)
Last edited by GenYguy on February 13th, 2017, 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Help answer my thread?
viewtopic.php?t=20433
hammanta
Junior Poster

Post by hammanta »

Here is my two cents on the issue. You are 20, finish this semester out and find a job, whether it be in construction or what have you, and get 2 if you need. Walmart always hires and promotes from within. On your spare time start reading books (hit the library hard) on investment, mutual funds, real estate, etc. Live a menial life. Don't buy a bunch of useless stuff, stop playing video games, don't eat out a lot and cook for yourself, and see if your parents will allow you to stay at home, and SAVE SAVE SAVE your money. In a few years you could possibly rack up a decent savings of several thousand dollars or more. Remember you are 20, You have plenty and I mean plenty of years left.

Use some of your saved money to invest, whether it be in real estate, mutual funds, bonds, stock market, Forex trading, etc (make sure you have read and understand the principles). Speak with people whom have done it and were successful. By the time you are in your mid to late 20's you could rack up a substantial amount of money where you wouldn't even have to work, and just travel. Sure it can be risky but the majority of people who fail haven't put forth enough time to actually understand the system. There have been many many people whom were in the same position as you that are now very wealthy people investing. Sure the payoffs may not be for 5, 10, or even 20 years but that all depends on your pace and how dedicated you are.

I'm turning 24 this month, I still live at home with parents (by my choosing and they are very supporting though only provide me with a free place to stay and a meal every now and then). I have a B.S degree in a technical field though I haven't been able to find a job in my field. I have been working construction for the past 10 months making 13.55 an hour and working working anywhere from 30-60 hour weeks. I am in about 18k in debt with student loans, owe 5500 left on my car, and have a few other bills that I pay each month. I am still able to save roughly 650 a month. It would be a lot more if I didn't have those loans. In a years time I should be able to save between 7k-13k dollars if I am frugal and work hard. I also have a part time job coming. Oh and by the way I've been to the Philippines twice (going back on my third trip in April) and though I absolutely love it I'd advise taking a trip there first.

I am doing exactly what I advised you to do though I'm still in the reading/researching part. Community College doesn't cost much (i know I went there) so I'm sure you're not in that much debt and you don't drive. There is no reason why you shouldn't be racking in the money right now. A year of savings for you could last you a year in the Philippines. If you spent a few years saving and then investing you could be making a living without work.

Bust your ass now and sacrifice while you have the time and energy. No one is gonna hand you something. You don't need skills just a desire to learn, a strong work ethic, ability to take some risk, and self discipline. Look to the future, set goals, and good luck.
hammanta
Junior Poster

Post by hammanta »

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't actually read all 5 pages just the first two so I wish you luck. If you don't mind I'd like to give you a little advice about the philippines, however.

Not trying to burst your bubble just being honest. Living off of $15-30$ a day in the Philippines is ridiculous especially in Manila. For one you are white and will get charged a totally different amount. Living like a local is damn near impossible when you first arrive. It will take months and even years to immerse yourself perfectly. A cab ride around Manila can be as expensive as $7 and Americanized food is just as expensive. Campbells Soup is like $5 dollars per can! Filipinos eat rice seafood and other weird shit everyday. Are you prepared to do that and maintain? It is crazy hot there so if you think you will walk everywhere you are mistaken. And driving or operating a motorcycle is still just as insane, especially if you live in a city. You will not be able to enjoy nightlife or much entertainment at all.

Next point, I've had months and months and months of online dating experience in the Philippines. DIA is one of the worst sites for scammers, gold diggers, and lady boys. And if you are staying with a nice girl you met, what happens if it doesn't work out? or she isn't real or is playing you? Also visas expire and require you to leave the country, can you afford that?

Now having a girlfriend and moving to the provinces can lower prices significantly but the likelihood of you finding a girl on a website outside of manila or cebu that lives alone doesn't have kids and will help support you is very slim. It is still a developing country and 30% live on less that $2 a day.

I'm just trying to be realistic so that you know what you are getting into. But I hope it works out for you and if it does send me a pm, I'll be in The Philippines this coming April and will buy you a beer haha.
mguy
Junior Poster

Re: Can you tell the

Post by mguy »

buddy77 wrote:@mguy

Rest of us, what is a call center and do they do exactly?
They take your calls. Say you have a question about an overcharge in your internet connection with ATT. You call the 1800 number then you get routed to Manila! and a Filipino answers your calls.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

hammanta wrote:Sorry for the late reply. I didn't actually read all 5 pages just the first two so I wish you luck. If you don't mind I'd like to give you a little advice about the philippines, however.

Not trying to burst your bubble just being honest. Living off of $15-30$ a day in the Philippines is ridiculous especially in Manila. For one you are white and will get charged a totally different amount. Living like a local is damn near impossible when you first arrive.
This is not technically true. One could live off $15 in Manila no problem. White men will just need to learn the art of bargaining.

Just do not go crazy with your lifestyle you will be fine. Always present yourself poorer than you actually are.

I also have the top 10 cheap dates ideas that should not cost more than $7. When you arrive there is also a period of transition as your mind transitions to the local prices. I recommend visiting a public market or refer to my Manila price guide. Then deduce the mark-up that is being charged to you.

I think Manila is great place to boot-strap oneself. There are tech centers and lots of opportunities. One could easily find an under the table teaching english to Koreans (shit ton of them here almost ALL will prefer learning from a white man).

Here's the price list thread

viewtopic.php?t=20436&start=15
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Starting to have Success

Post by Cornfed »

GenYguy wrote:Guys, if I can do it, anyone can do it. If you can write coherent English, you can write articles. You saw where I started, the problems I had, and where I'm headed now. http://www.seanogle.com/guest-posts/seo ... -beginners If you follow everything in that STEP BY STEP, and put in the work (the hardest part isn't making the website or writing your samples, the hardest part is sending out all those emails, it is work) you will get results, no doubt! The key is sending out emails to companies and clients in your area, and you have a better shot of finding work that way. I still have more emails to send out, and more money to make!

If you want more details on how I write articles quickly, pm me.
You've inspired me to give it a go. Are there any particular kinds of articles in demand at the moment? It would be good if you could post your method of writing articles quickly.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Re: Starting to have Success

Post by GenYguy »

(deleted)
Last edited by GenYguy on February 13th, 2017, 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.