TEFL worth it? save up to find a better job back home?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
magnum
Junior Poster

TEFL worth it? save up to find a better job back home?

Post by magnum »

I was thinking of attempting to get a TEFL out of desperation but I'm so rushed for time and money it would seem like a redundant thing to get when I don't even have the diploma to go with it.

I've come to the conclusion I have no choice but to teach English to sustain my relationship, long distance is going to kill me or her, but I'm having a hard time finding jobs on the internet, had I never left china I'd have found one far quicker, I'm almost contemplating working a crap job for 2 months to fly back and look in person for a English teaching job.

If I play my cards right, I can save up around 10k, enough to put my self through a Academy back here in the USA get a job where I'll be able to support my future wife while she finishes out college here in the USA, hardly ideal, but I see no other way, as I can't sustain us both on a English teachers salary.

Andy advice you experienced guys have would be great as I'm losing my head here with this overwhelming seance of being defeated by not only my self, but the system.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Please give your age and location as well as where you plan to live.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

Yeah Details would help right.

28, I'm in California, not in L.A but not too far away.

my girl friend said she'd be willing to get married, I'd work while she finished out college here rather than in china, but I don't have the money or career to do that, yet.

The Academy would allow me to be a police officer, even if it wasn't in the California area it's a good thing to have as most police departments would at least take my application seriously.

So in Reality I could live anywhere in the usa that gives me a job as a police officer at that point, but that's in the future, a plan so to speak.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

magnum wrote:The Academy would allow me to be a police officer, even if it wasn't in the California area it's a good thing to have as most police departments would at least take my application seriously.
What makes you think the pigs will accept you? If they didn't, that would presumably be the end of your relationship.
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

Well I've got a tone of them in my family, police that is, so I've got people to advise me through the process, only a few things in life are for sure, like death.

physically I can endure whatever is thrown at me infarct I think it'll be a joke.

Academically that's what the academy is for, if I pass that I'll be at least better prepared for what fallows.

I could always try to get a city job here, but it would land lock me 11 months out of the year, and it's expensive to live here, at least this part of California.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 16th, 2020, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

This is why I don't recommend that anyone make a move abroad until AFTER they have reasonable groundwork set up. Making decisions out of desperation rarely end well. In my opinion, you are being overly optimistic in the amount of $$ you think you are going to save from teaching English without a degree. I don't even see you getting a position at all unless you have some kind of a qualifier so better go with the TEFL. Do your research before you accept any position and make sure offers are legit and legal.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

tre wrote:This is why I don't recommend that anyone make a move abroad until AFTER they have reasonable groundwork set up. Making decisions out of desperation rarely end well. In my opinion, you are being overly optimistic in the amount of $$ you think you are going to save from teaching English without a degree. I don't even see you getting a position at all unless you have some kind of a qualifier so better go with the TEFL. Do your research before you accept any position and make sure offers are legit and legal.
Exactly! But I was criticized by people like DJforumoney for taking my time in preparing for my move overseas. I was called a "complainer" and "not a doer" even though I tried to tell people that any kind of rash decision-making would lead to failure in the future...

It took me a couple of years to get prepared, such as quitting my job and going back to school; saving enough money and getting my TESOL certification, but when I did, I was totally prepared unlike what Magnum is currently experiencing. So, yes, take your time and prepare before contemplating a move overseas, so you don't end up like WillNDowd--all bitter and disappointed in his experiences overseas. ...
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 16th, 2020, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

"NO degree Necessary ! Free TEFL certificate Get ! we give our teacher one week Paid traning show how to teach lessons and use our materials No degree necessary ,but need native speakers who are active"

That's what the advertisement said, the main problem is they want me to work weekends...and that's the only time my girl friend has off to see me, if I take the job I might literally never see her even though I'm right next to her.....

That's the only job like this I've found though, it seems legit, I've emailed them.

What do you guys think, they said I'd fly to bajing for 15 days free hotel and get training, then fly to shenyang fee of charge.
RedMenace
Freshman Poster

Post by RedMenace »

I am in a similar situation to you. I just started university a month ago so I am dead broke. Trying to look for jobs over the christmas holiday and also brainstorming business ideas. I sense time will eventually kill the relationship if I don't make a move soon to solidify it. That would only be the beginning because I would have to somehow find a way to either stay in China for a few years or visit it often.

The female in question would like me to stay there and start a business with her. Her and her friend might be doing that soon and they want me to join them. However If I do very well in my first year at university, I have a chance to study in China(Shanghai) for a year at one of the partner universities there. Or another somewhere in China.

I took mandarin classes at university so that by that time I would be able to at least communicate in mandarin without a hitch. One big problem with plans is the uncertainty when it comes raising the funds. If you can find a stable way to make money, all your plans will most likely succeed. I will do TEFL sometime during my 3/4 years at university in cause I have to find English teaching job in China as a last resort. But first I have to take a trip to China very soon to lay some "foundation work" and verify the worthiness the said female in question. If that goes well then I can move on to the other options. Else I will just work in the UK for a few years and take trips to China now and then.

I know my chances of success will exponentially increase in China because it's full of the type of wife material female I am after. In the UK it's too much of a sausage fest and the competition for such women is too great. In China the men are too damn picky so such women with average looks are everywhere. Laowai sits outside this system, therefore he is statistically more likely to get these women. The fact that I am not looking for a super model or some 16 yr old female further increases my chances. I would sacrifice looks(as low as slightly below average looking) and age(as long as such female is young enough to have kids and 8 yrs or less older than I am) for stability and loyalty any given day. Super model wife will have far too many options if you decide to move to your home country. Women + Options = instability & ultimately disaster
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

magnum wrote:Well I've got a tone of them in my family, police that is, so I've got people to advise me through the process, only a few things in life are for sure, like death.

physically I can endure whatever is thrown at me infarct I think it'll be a joke.

Academically that's what the academy is for, if I pass that I'll be at least better prepared for what fallows.

I could always try to get a city job here, but it would land lock me 11 months out of the year, and it's expensive to live here, at least this part of California.
If you become an officer for LAPD "out in the field", please don't be a p.rick to the good Black guys and to the good Hispanics. :-)
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

I doubt I'd be able to land a dream job of working in L.A.P.D, but if I did, don't worry, I dislike everyone equally!
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

I couldn't be a cop, I'd want to bust my corrupt superiors. They are working for a corrupt government and enforcing corrupt laws. The only truly good cops (very few) are the ones that turn their heads and walk away instead of busting someone over something that is not Constitutional. That means, they bust those who are hurting others or put others at risk...that's it.

You have positioned yourself to be a "begger instead of a chooser". What is this company willing to pay you? Do they guarantee a legit, legal workers pass in China? If it sounds too good to be true, it likely is. Worse yet, it could get you into trouble. I wouldn't wanna see you spend time in a Chinese jail for something you didn't mean to do. Be cynical and look deep...
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

unfortunately no matter what I'll be illegal while working in china, as I have no college behind my belt and that's required now.

But I honestly don't care, the risk is worth the reward if everything works out, I'm in love and will do what I have to to secure it, though it might just kill me at this point.