What college doesn't teach you

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
OTB
Freshman Poster

What college doesn't teach you

Post by OTB »

I felt I needed to get this off my mind. This is for all the women who are so gung ho about degrees. They want to walk around feeling empowered because they have a piece of paper that says Bachelor of Arts or Science. And with that attitude a great majority of them ignore the qualities that truly matter and make them attractive.

So what are the things that college doesn't teach you?

1. To be trustworthy

2. To be faithful

3. To be apologetic

4. To be supportive

5. To not be contentious

6. How to be a good mom

7. How to communicate with your spouse

8. How to have self control

9. To be submissive i.e. in a trusting, confident way.

These are just a few. Please add more if you think of any others. I just wanted to make the point that college has blinded a lot of them of those qualities that are necessary to make them good wives and mothers. There's nothing wrong with going to college and educating yourself in a particular discipline. But it becomes a major problem when the focus is more on being educated/career-oriented and equal with men rather than being focused on those qualities that strengthen relationships.

Example:

I met a Dominican from North Jersey on OK Cupid back in 2011. I asked her if she would take off at least two years to stay at home with her newborn. Her response was, "HELL No! Why did I get the Master's degree then?" I saw right there a lack of supportiveness. So what did college teach her? Being educated and having a career is top priority. On top of that she was very argumentative. For three days we went back and forth, before even talking on the phone, about why I didn't agree with gay marriage. After expressing my views on it I told her I had nothing else to say about it. By the third time we talked on the phone she brought it up AGAIN! Instead of focusing on connecting with me she was more focused on flaunting her intellect. So she had a Master's degree but she proved to me she wasn't wife nor mother material. Go have a relationship with your education.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Education doesn't teach people how to be successful in life. After spending 12 years in school most high school graduates have no skills at all. How high your IQ is has no bearing on how successful you'll be in life because classrooms are artificial learning environments. When you have a problem in the real world the answer doesn't appear on a multiple choice test. The corporate media pushes the idea that your not smart unless you have a degree. On the contrary, it makes you dumber because you lose all of your common sense and you'll have a hard time thinking "outside the box". I have a degree but its not something I'm proud of.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

What you described was, basically, Ethics 101. And many countries have such courses.

Colleges as well as HS's in the USA need to have such a compulsory ethics course. The Philippines and Japan have ethics as subjects, and the people there are in much more harmony with each other than in the US.

We also need a compulsory World Studies/Geography course that would at least teach that Sikhs are not Muslim terrorists.

More good people would be born and fewer people would die if we had those.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

ladislav wrote:Colleges as well as HS's in the USA need to have such a compulsory ethics course.
Lol, as if the feminist trolls running Western education now would have anything to teach anyone about ethics.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Cornfed wrote:
ladislav wrote:Colleges as well as HS's in the USA need to have such a compulsory ethics course.
Lol, as if the feminist trolls running Western education now would have anything to teach anyone about ethics.
Religion, ethics, and morals all have overlapping qualities. The people ruling America and the anti-religion, moral relativists don't want anything whether it's religion or real ethics classes in schools.
fightforlove
Junior Poster

Re: What college doesn't teach you

Post by fightforlove »

OTB wrote: I met a Dominican from North Jersey on OK Cupid back in 2011. I asked her if she would take off at least two years to stay at home with her newborn. Her response was, "HELL No! Why did I get the Master's degree then?" I saw right there a lack of supportiveness. So what did college teach her? Being educated and having a career is top priority. On top of that she was very argumentative. For three days we went back and forth, before even talking on the phone, about why I didn't agree with gay marriage. After expressing my views on it I told her I had nothing else to say about it. By the third time we talked on the phone she brought it up AGAIN! Instead of focusing on connecting with me she was more focused on flaunting her intellect. So she had a Master's degree but she proved to me she wasn't wife nor mother material. Go have a relationship with your education.
Why are you wasting your precious time debating with over-educated women about politics/gay marriage before you've even gone on 1 date with them?? Seriously how does that topic even come up?? NEVER talk politics with women when you're first getting to know them. You should be discussing simple pleasures, hobbies, activities and other "light" topics to strike up a romantic connection as well as vetting them for attractiveness and genuine femininity. This includes gauging their views and interests in raising children, but I personally wouldn't be flat out asking them about taking time off to raise kids before I've even met them either. You'll have plenty of time for more serious discussions about marriage/family/children after you've been on some dates and decided to pursue them more seriously. In the early going, you can gauge these things about women, e.g. if they start asking your opinions on political matters and other pseudo-intellectual topics, drop it like it's hot.
OTB
Freshman Poster

Post by OTB »

NEVER talk politics with women when you're first getting to know them. You should be discussing simple pleasures, hobbies, activities and other "light" topics to strike up a romantic connection as well as vetting them for attractiveness and genuine femininity.
I totally agree with you and I went into it with the exact mindset. So, how did it start out talking about gay marriage? I'm sure you know on OKC there are a number of questions you have to answer to determine how compatible you are with someone. She saw that I didn't agree with gay marriage. At the end of her first reply, she stated, "Oh I see you don't agree with gay marriage. Why?" I replied with why I disagreed with it, but she kept it going. Right there, I was becoming irritated. Why? Because I stated why I didn't agree with it and that should've of been the end of it until maybe at a later time where we could talk about it after getting to know each other on a more personal level.

When we finally talked on the phone, like I said, I wanted to keep the conversation light; her hobbies, family, her job, etc. But HERE SHE COMES AGAIN with bringing it up. She kept bringing up her gay friend and I started to connect the dots. I asked her if she felt like she was dogged out by men. She said, "Yes." The reason why I asked her that was because I heard in her tone bitterness. Yes, I could sense it just through her voice. So anyway, I felt she was looking to give a relationship with a guy one more chance and if it didn't work out becoming a lesbian was her next option. I had every right to ask her if she would take off two years to care for her newborn. I sensed she wasn't mother material nor wife material and when she gave me that HELL NO response it was just confirmation. End of story.
Last edited by OTB on October 21st, 2013, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
SilverEnergy
Junior Poster

Post by SilverEnergy »

College doesn't teach you STREET SMARTS, which is what you need to learn if you want to be a successful businessman and investor.

You learn by DOING not be sitting in a classroom listening to your professor.

But college can be good sometimes though.....

Saying that, as a University graduate myself, I'm not going to totally knock college because there are good things that you can learn in college.

You learn how to finish projects by deadlines and how to handle pressure.
"Allow me to show you the Power Cosmic!" - Silver Surfer
navigator
Freshman Poster

Post by navigator »

Taco wrote:Education doesn't teach people how to be successful in life. After spending 12 years in school most high school graduates have no skills at all. How high your IQ is has no bearing on how successful you'll be in life because classrooms are artificial learning environments. When you have a problem in the real world the answer doesn't appear on a multiple choice test. The corporate media pushes the idea that your not smart unless you have a degree. On the contrary, it makes you dumber because you lose all of your common sense and you'll have a hard time thinking "outside the box". I have a degree but its not something I'm proud of.
I got good grades in college, but this did not translate to real world success. I quit all of my office jobs because I couldn't handle the excessive multitasking that each job entailed. The only way colleges could prepare its students for this type of onslaught is if they had students take 5-10 different tests simultaneously. For example, you start taking your calculus exam and then, a few minutes later, an economics professor walks into the lecture hall and starts passing out his exam. Shortly thereafter, the finance professor starts distributing HIS exam to everyone. After that, the calculus professor interrupts each student by asking him/her how things are going with the original calculus exam. Repeat ad insanitum. That is the corporate world for you. At least that is what I encountered while working for large and small companies alike. I was unable to handle the constant multitasking and interruptions. I am currently in the middle of a career change. My next job will be teaching English overseas. No more office jobs for me.
fightforlove
Junior Poster

Post by fightforlove »

OTB wrote: I totally agree with you and I went into it with the exact mindset. So, how did it start out talking about gay marriage? I'm sure you know on OKC there are a number of questions you have to answer to determine how compatible you are with someone. She saw that I didn't agree with gay marriage. At the end of her first reply, she stated, "Oh I see you don't agree with gay marriage. Why?" I replied with why I disagreed with it, but she kept it going. Right there, I was becoming irritated. Why? Because I stated why I didn't agree with it and that should've of been the end of it until maybe at a later time where we could talk about it after getting to know each other on a more personal level.

When we finally talked on the phone, like I said, I wanted to keep the conversation light; her hobbies, family, her job, etc. But HERE SHE COMES AGAIN with bringing it up. She kept bringing up her gay friend and I started to connect the dots. I asked her if she felt like she was dogged out by men. She said, "Yes." The reason why I asked her that was because I heard in her tone bitterness. Yes, I could sense it just through her voice. So anyway, I felt she was looking to give a relationship with a guy one more chance and if it didn't work out becoming a lesbian was her next option. I had every right to ask her if she would take off two years to care for her newborn. I sensed she wasn't mother material nor wife material and when she gave me that HELL NO response it was just confirmation. End of story.
That is why I don't answer any of those questions. They have the same type of match questions on eharmony. Anyways you dodged a bullet and saved yourself some gas money, sounds like she's on the fast track to spinsterhood and/or lesbianism.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

OTB wrote:I felt I needed to get this off my mind. This is for all the women who are so gung ho about degrees. They want to walk around feeling empowered because they have a piece of paper that says Bachelor of Arts or Science. And with that attitude a great majority of them ignore the qualities that truly matter and make them attractive.

1. To be trustworthy

2. To be faithful

3. To be apologetic

4. To be supportive

5. To not be contentious

6. How to be a good mom

These are just a few. Please add more if you think of any others. I just wanted to make the point that college has blinded a lot of them of those qualities that are necessary to make them good wives and mothers. There's nothing wrong with going to college and educating yourself in a particular discipline. But it becomes a major problem when the focus is more on being educated/career-oriented and equal with men rather than being focused on those qualities that strengthen relationships.

Example:

I met a Dominican from North Jersey on OK Cupid back in 2011. I asked her if she would take off at least two years to stay at home with her newborn. Her response was, "HELL No! Why did I get the Master's degree then?" I saw right there a lack of supportiveness. So what did college teach her? Being educated and having a career is top priority. On top of that she was very argumentative. For three days we went back and forth, before even talking on the phone, about why I didn't agree with gay marriage. After expressing my views on it I told her I had nothing else to say about it. By the third time we talked on the phone she brought it up AGAIN! Instead of focusing on connecting with me she was more focused on flaunting her intellect. So she had a Master's degree but she proved to me she wasn't wife nor mother material. Go have a relationship with your education.
College educated career women are some of the most boring, empty, soulless, unimaginative women in America. I have more fun talking to an "uneducated" bargirl, or a street prostitute, then I do with a college educated American girl.

Besides college educated career women being so disgustingly arrogant, they're drones and they have no life other then work, but they gladly accept such a fate so as long as their little job pays the mortgage and car note. It's just pathetic, these women trade in their whole lives to pay off a house and car, and most of them put their husband and kids on the back burner.

College educated career women are only good from the standpoint of a business owner because women are more dedicated to their jobs mostly out of a greater fear then men to be unemployed/destitute, and that they are far less likely to revolt like men.

If these "college educated" women are so smart, they would realize that they're being oppressed/used in the worse way by the companies they they slavishly work for.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

OTB wrote:I felt I needed to get this off my mind. This is for all the women who are so gung ho about degrees. They want to walk around feeling empowered because they have a piece of paper that says Bachelor of Arts or Science. And with that attitude a great majority of them ignore the qualities that truly matter and make them attractive.

1. To be trustworthy

2. To be faithful

3. To be apologetic

4. To be supportive

5. To not be contentious

6. How to be a good mom

These are just a few. Please add more if you think of any others. [/b]
Though I agree with your post, I'm going to swing in the other direction and tell you all what I have seen college teach young women:

• How to acquire major debt. The average college student today graduates with over 20k in student loans.

• How to have sex with multiple men. Many girls who go off to college for the first time are virgins, or they have left a serious boyfriend who was marriage material back home. But once that girl graduates college, after all the frat parties and one night stands, many of these girls racked up lots of sexual partners, some women even in the 100's.

• How to manage STD's. In all seriousness, some women acquire STD's in college. Some even contract HIV, I have seen the vidoes where women admit they contracted HIV in college from being promiscuous.

• How to abuse alcohol. By far, the most common thing to do on a college campus since the 80's is drinking to get drunk, and binge drinking.

• How to use drugs. Smoking weed, cigarettes, coke, extacy, mushrooms, perks, you name it, are all used on every campus in America.

• How to gain weight. The best shape American women will ever be in is in their high school years. American women gain a significant amount of weight in college from eating all the junk food, drinking, and lack of exercise. It happened to an x GF of mine, I was with her right when she started college and she was in great shape, but by senior year after I long broke up with her I saw a picture of her on the internet and she was almost unrecognizable. Her face looked bloated, she got so fat her legs were rubbing together, and she would be winded after walking 2-3 blocks!

So at the end of the day, all the good home training parents put into their daughters, in a matter of 4 short years, gets thrown out the window and replaced with degenerate programming that largely stays with them for life.

Reminds me of a situation just recently where a young girl on a college campus either got drunk, or was using drugs, and let a guy preform oral sex on her outside on the street while other people were standing around watching and filming it. Her life is forever changed and she brought much shame and anger to her family. I bet her parents didn't decide to pay 20k/30k per year for their daughter to learn how to get wasted and preform public sex acts.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/a ... alk-during

http://www.metro.us/newyork/news/2013/1 ... m-twitter/
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

LOL. The OTB's list are all the qualities of being a good housewife and mother.

It's not college's place to teach a woman how to be those things any more than it is college's place to teach Remedial English and Remedial Mathematics.

Those qualities are supposed to be installed into the woman through parental upbringing supplemented by religious indoctrination during childhood and early teen years. That's where the training/education duty lies.

With regard to NorthAmericanguy's comments about what college teaches women: His list is a byproduct of not the University's curiculum, but that of the extracurricular activities such as Sorority and Fraternity and private "partying".

(BTW, I'd even go so far as to say parents shouldn't be wasting their money to send their daughters to college anyway; they're just going to turn that BS degree into a "MRS degree" anyway.)
OTB
Freshman Poster

Post by OTB »

It's not college's place to teach a woman how to be those things any more than it is college's place to teach Remedial English and Remedial Mathematics. Those qualities are supposed to be installed into the woman through parental upbringing supplemented by religious indoctrination during childhood and early teen years. That's where the training/education duty lies.
I agree with you Halwick. But I'm being sarcastic about it. Women walk around acting as if college is some sort of sanctuary and when they graduate they're better people because they have a degree. A lot of times they come out worse than when they started. They can have a degree or degrees but be clueless about how to communicate in a relationship and deal with hardships that arise in a relationship. You know...the things that matter.
OTB
Freshman Poster

Post by OTB »

@NorthAmericanguy

Thanks for adding the flip side of that. I agree with everything except that the best shape AW will ever be in is in their high school years. There are plenty of girls who maintain a nice shape throughout their twenties and even into their thirties. Those who make the effort.