Mguy's Manila Price List

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

What's beer cost in the Phillies?
A can of beer is a US dollar. You can buy bottled beer for P30 which is .75 then you can return the bottles for a deposit.

A pack of cigarettes is a US dollar. Marlboro Lights.

Sin is cheap here. I try to stay away. I'm not inhaling those vaper e-cigs either.

//edit the price of beer is found in convenience stores. backwards calculate it to check the markup if you are at an establishment
Last edited by mguy on October 24th, 2013, 6:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

After consulting with a triathlete who coaches the uber rich, I have the protein solution.

Eggs!!!!!!!!!

The protein powder is maddd expensive here (or overpriced). So the solution is eggs. Just scoop the yellow part out and viola protein!

We also did some calculations. Chicken is P220 so 10 servings is P22. It follows the deck of card principle (body needs only deck of cards size).
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

I'm also getting the Mizuno Inspire 9 running shoes cuz I got a super steep discount (race sponsor is my friend). It retails $100 or 4k + 25% markup at the sporting stores. General rule is if its sports related or performance athlete related, best bring it in from the US or UK.

http://www.mizuno.ph/running/mizuno-wave-inspire-9-w

mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

There are super cheap knockoff shoes here but the quality is abysmal. You should invest in high quality shoes before you come here. The shoe gel product thrives here because of the lower quality shoes. Look at it as investment.

rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

So mguy, what is your average monthly payment for your exorbitant lifestyle?
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

rudder wrote:So mguy, what is your average monthly payment for your exorbitant lifestyle?
I'm not there yet. I'm still in transition period which I write about in my blog. As things normalize I will be able provide this.

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

The roads/sidewalks in SE Asia are terrible, so +1 to buying good quality shoes. Cheap Chinese trainers wrecked my feet. Now I've got some North Face ones and they're excellent. I found them on sale in a Bangkok mall. Get some Scholl inserts for your shoes as well, they're also great.

Eggs are cheap(ish) in Asia and I am a big fan of Thai omelets. Also remember to eat plenty of fish here. I ate a whole BBQ'd Tilapia and then was able to do a 12 hour work rampage the next day.

If you're on a budget, fill up on cheap rice.

I did more research on Bangkok beer prices last night. A 330ml can of Chang from 7-11 is $1. A beer in a Nana Soi 4 live music beer bar was over $7. Ouch! And the bouncers stole my bottle of water from me - assholes!

I prefer Soi Cowboy. A beer in one of the outside bars costs around $3.50 and as much people watching as you can handle. Gogo bar beer usually costs $4.80. Pattaya is way cheaper.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

The internet problem. There is a fix.

A fix. A fix. A fix.

get it? what happens when u have a lot of smart technical people but with low salaries. boom. a fix. :wink:

mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

Third world lifestyle. There's a hack to everything.

Rich
Freshman Poster

Post by Rich »

mguy wrote:After consulting with a triathlete who coaches the uber rich, I have the protein solution.

Eggs!!!!!!!!!

The protein powder is maddd expensive here (or overpriced). So the solution is eggs. Just scoop the yellow part out and viola protein!

We also did some calculations. Chicken is P220 so 10 servings is P22. It follows the deck of card principle (body needs only deck of cards size).
I have three egg scramble for breakfast everyday but man can't get protein from eggs a lone. 40gs of whey protein, the quantity I have in my shakes, which are just water and whey protein, is the equivalent of about 6 eggs and I usually have two shakes a day when I'm working out which would be the equivalent of 12 eggs. Now, I'm sure not if you've seen the egg-eating scene in Cool Hand Luke (played by Paul Newman), but I'd be gagging well before I got close to 12 eggs.

Anyway, I don't expect to have it all my own way when I go back to the Philippines so am prepared to pay more for things that are important to me like whey protein and low sodium food.
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

Rich wrote:
mguy wrote:After consulting with a triathlete who coaches the uber rich, I have the protein solution.

Eggs!!!!!!!!!

I have three egg scramble for breakfast everyday but man can't get protein from eggs a lone. 40gs of whey protein, the quantity I have in my shakes, which are just water and whey protein, is the equivalent of about 6 eggs and I usually have two shakes a day when I'm working out which would be the equivalent of 12 eggs. Now, I'm sure not if you've seen the egg-eating scene in Cool Hand Luke (played by Paul Newman), but I'd be gagging well before I got close to 12 eggs.

Anyway, I don't expect to have it all my own way when I go back to the Philippines so am prepared to pay more for things that are important to me like whey protein and low sodium food.
Thanks Rich. How big are you that you need that much protein?

I'm not looking to bulk up. Just maintain my physique. If anything, I'm going for a ninjas' physique.

I think bulking up, being muscular, causes a logistical problem here. For instance, jeepneys become more of a hassle as you become constricted quickly. Then there's heat. Then there's the expensive gym (i dont want to pay less for no AC). Then there's overpriced protein shakes. The infrastructure is not made conducive to bulking up like it is in the USA.

The upkeep is too much for me so I'm just gon put my cash in equipment shoes and eventually a bike. Maybe go triathlete route ($100 registration fee). If I go hulk mode, I have to ask the local guys what the third world hackâ„¢ is to their protein diet

mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

$2 for USB charger through CDW (cheap electronics peripheral shop here here all made from china)

That USB charger is for the go pro hero 3 camera which I bought states side as my final purchase. I told you video'ing all this shit.

http://3rdworldhero.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... itude.html

mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

since I got my bandwidth cap removed, lets try enjoying some music and streaming more and more shit.

btw, here's another monthly expense I will have. Proxy server service: $4

Time to get into labor economics? How about putting the music by a video editor and get some editing -- how much would that cost? hmmm!

Third World Hero has background music! lolz

Rich
Freshman Poster

Post by Rich »

mguy wrote:
Rich wrote:

Eggs!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Rich. How big are you that you need that much protein?

I'm not looking to bulk up. Just maintain my physique. If anything, I'm going for a ninjas' physique.

I think bulking up, being muscular, causes a logistical problem here. For instance, jeepneys become more of a hassle as you become constricted quickly. Then there's heat. Then there's the expensive gym (i dont want to pay less for no AC). Then there's overpriced protein shakes. The infrastructure is not made conducive to bulking up like it is in the USA.

The upkeep is too much for me so I'm just gon put my cash in equipment shoes and eventually a bike. Maybe go triathlete route ($100 registration fee). If I go hulk mode, I have to ask the local guys what the third world hackâ„¢ is to their protein diet
I use protein to help keep my weight under control. A high protein/high fat, low carb diet helps keep my big appetite in check. I work out with weights 3-4 times per week but just do it to try and maintain some level strength and reasonable shape not to bulk up, which I would struggle to do now even if I tried. As one gets older, T levels really drop.

Looking forward to your budget figures when you get around to crunching the numbers.
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

$15 = a days worth of wage for the unskilled. The girls running the food karts.

$10 = an hour of teaching English to the Koreans. Needed: ability to speak english. Hallooo... ha--loooooo.... ha---loooooooow! FML :lol: