Hitting on/Picking Up Thai Girls at the Mall???

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Jackanapes
Freshman Poster

Hitting on/Picking Up Thai Girls at the Mall???

Post by Jackanapes »

I got to Bangkok, Thailand just a couple of weeks ago and am finally starting to feel comfortable here.

Today, I was walking through the mall at Happyland Center (I think that's what it's called) and I was getting "the eye" from girls as usual, but I went to grab a bite at one of the restaurants in there (I was the only falang in the place), and this extremely attractive Thai girl was sitting on the other side of the restaurant from me, facing AWAY from me with the back of her head to me.

The only reason I knew she was attractive was that she kept turning around, and just STARING at me. I'm 100% sure it was at me she was staring. She obviously was into me. She looked pretty young though, so I wasn't sure how to react (then again, all Thai women look young to me—I'm 26, for what it's worth).

Anyway, I got up after I was done eating, and she happened to get up just before me (I didn't notice it) and walk out front door of the restaurant just after I walked out of the side door. We ended up walking in the same direction. She made eye contact with me again, and then we ended up walking next to each other. It was kind of a weird scenario. I wanted to hit on her but f**k, I don't know anything but a few basic phrases in Thai.

I get the feeling I'm somewhat intimidating to Thai girls as I'm 6'2" and have longish hair and a 5 o'clock shadow most of the time.

Should I have just pounced on the situation? What's a good way to approach a Thai girl?
I love-a the a-wimmmenz.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Re: Hitting on/Picking Up Thai Girls at the Mall???

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

Jackanapes wrote:I got to Bangkok, Thailand just a couple of weeks ago and am finally starting to feel comfortable here.

Today, I was walking through the mall at Happyland Center (I think that's what it's called) and I was getting "the eye" from girls as usual, but I went to grab a bite at one of the restaurants in there (I was the only falang in the place), and this extremely attractive Thai girl was sitting on the other side of the restaurant from me, facing AWAY from me with the back of her head to me.

The only reason I knew she was attractive was that she kept turning around, and just STARING at me. I'm 100% sure it was at me she was staring. She obviously was into me. She looked pretty young though, so I wasn't sure how to react (then again, all Thai women look young to me—I'm 26, for what it's worth).

Anyway, I got up after I was done eating, and she happened to get up just before me (I didn't notice it) and walk out front door of the restaurant just after I walked out of the side door. We ended up walking in the same direction. She made eye contact with me again, and then we ended up walking next to each other. It was kind of a weird scenario. I wanted to hit on her but f**k, I don't know anything but a few basic phrases in Thai.

What are you doing in the Bangkapi area?
I get the feeling I'm somewhat intimidating to Thai girls as I'm 6'2" and have longish hair and a 5 o'clock shadow most of the time.

Should I have just pounced on the situation? What's a good way to approach a Thai girl?
I live close to Happyland and I'm there almost daily. You should have at least said hello. That's all it takes. Start with the basics...hello, how are you. Where do you live. How old are you. Even the ones who barely speak a word of English understand these phrases.

Everything else will work itself out if it's meant to be. But Thai women in a place like Happyland are not generally in the habit of making the first move. Go for it...what's the worst that's going to happen, they shoot you down? They might just be flirting or they might want to f**k but you'll never know unless you take the step.

What are you doing in the Bangkapi area? Not exactly the sort of place where Farang flock to...which is why I like the area.
Jackanapes
Freshman Poster

Post by Jackanapes »

Thanks for the advice.

I got a guest house in Bangkapi and I'm going to travel to local schools on Monday with my CV and resume (for teaching English). Once I get a job, I'll settle down near the school. Looks like there are some good schools in Bangkapi/Hua Mak that are hiring right now.

I will say, it's nice to be away from the rest of the dirty Falang crowd but being near Khao San made eating, drinking and getting "falang" stuff done a little easier. For example, all the places in that area speak better English and have services that farang need. But take for example printing. I need to print out some copies of my University transcript and it's proving pretty difficult to find a print shop on Google when everything's in Thai.

I have a BA in Modern Languages with a Linguistics Minor. No TEFL cert, but I'm determined to make it work without one...
I love-a the a-wimmmenz.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Jackanapes wrote:Thanks for the advice.

I got a guest house in Bangkapi and I'm going to travel to local schools on Monday with my CV and resume (for teaching English). Once I get a job, I'll settle down near the school. Looks like there are some good schools in Bangkapi/Hua Mak that are hiring right now.

I will say, it's nice to be away from the rest of the dirty Falang crowd but being near Khao San made eating, drinking and getting "falang" stuff done a little easier. For example, all the places in that area speak better English and have services that farang need. But take for example printing. I need to print out some copies of my University transcript and it's proving pretty difficult to find a print shop on Google when everything's in Thai.

I have a BA in Modern Languages with a Linguistics Minor. No TEFL cert, but I'm determined to make it work without one...
If you mean you just need to get copies of your transcripts, not actual offset prints, go to The Mall on the 3rd or 4th floor, same floor as Asia Books. There are two places there that can at least make copies. Believe me, if you took a little time to get to know Bangkapi, you wouldn't go near Khaosan. If you need offset printing (don't know why you would), there is a print shop at Happyland, in between the outdoor food court and the building connected to the overpass to The Mall.
Jackanapes
Freshman Poster

Post by Jackanapes »

anamericaninbangkok wrote:

If you mean you just need to get copies of your transcripts, not actual offset prints, go to The Mall on the 3rd or 4th floor, same floor as Asia Books. There are two places there that can at least make copies. Believe me, if you took a little time to get to know Bangkapi, you wouldn't go near Khaosan. If you need offset printing (don't know why you would), there is a print shop at Happyland, in between the outdoor food court and the building connected to the overpass to The Mall.
Thanks, this is of invaluable help. No offset printing, I just need them to take my USB thumbdrive and print a PDF for me.

The main thing I liked about Khao San was the street food/restaurants being of seemingly far higher quality (and thus actually appealing to foreigners). I tried some street food on Ramkanhaeng 50, where I'm living, and found it totally inedible, making me gag. I couldn't tell if what I had put in my mouth was beef, mushrooms, or what. 1st world problem?
I love-a the a-wimmmenz.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Jackanapes wrote:
anamericaninbangkok wrote:

Thanks, this is of invaluable help. No offset printing, I just need them to take my USB thumbdrive and print a PDF for me.

The main thing I liked about Khao San was the street food/restaurants being of seemingly far higher quality (and thus actually appealing to foreigners). I tried some street food on Ramkanhaeng 50, where I'm living, and found it totally inedible, making me gag. I couldn't tell if what I had put in my mouth was beef, mushrooms, or what. 1st world problem?
The quality of the food you ate at Khaosan might have been better than the restaurant you ate at in Ramkhamhaeng but there are some good restaurants and stalls all over in Bangkapi, especially in Happyland and at The Mall. There's another printing place at the back of The Mall, next to the Daiso shop on the 4th floor.
MarksBKK
Freshman Poster

Post by MarksBKK »

This is a perfectly good way to meet Thai women. I do it often. Chat up girls working and shopping at MBK etc if the situation arises. Same at coffee shops and other places in my day to day life.

I don't go out solely to do this but if I see a cute girl, she smiles at me or I smile at her and she smiles back then why not try and talk to her?

Have met some great girls from this. Just be confident and smile a lot. Ask her where something is or for directions.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Once you find a couple places that have hot women that you really like, go to those places every so often so you can get to know the women. Eventually, if you get to know them, they come around. I never liked to rush anything simply because for the first few weeks or months, they can be sweet and adorable. Once the hook is set, that's when they change.
MarksBKK
Freshman Poster

Post by MarksBKK »

Yes I agree. I live here so I can take my time with things. No need to rush.

After speaking to them half a dozen times if they seem interested I'll make a move.