Filipinas and sarcasm

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

Johnny1975 wrote:
mguy wrote:Filipinas are HUGE on sarcasm! They are always very playful and engaging, so much more than their western counterparts.

You know what is "in" in the Philippines? Pick-up lines. I swear. The funnier the pickup line the better it is.

Ask your girl if she has a good pick up line.. I guarantee she will have several. This shit is even on the radio.
Sounds interesting. Keep talking.
Try this "pickup line" on a Filipina as you look below her neck:
"Are you wearing an invisible bra or is that cantilevering natural, considering you're the sole support of two dependents." :wink: :wink:

(actually, I once said this to a rather buxom woman I met a party. She understood perfectly what I meant and thought it was witty. She turned out to be a structural design engineer by profession.)

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

Me: Those are valid questions!!! I have my last but I don't want you to answer now. How does Freddy Kruger wipe his butt?

Her: He probably lets u wipe it for him. Hahaha. Are u staying here for good?

:lol:
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

Raja
Freshman Poster

Post by Raja »

mguy wrote:Filipinas are HUGE on sarcasm! They are always very playful and engaging, so much more than their western counterparts.

You know what is "in" in the Philippines? Pick-up lines. I swear. The funnier the pickup line the better it is.

Ask your girl if she has a good pick up line.. I guarantee she will have several. This shit is even on the radio.
I tend to agree but they also have the immediate "joke" line tagged on a whole lot faster then an American comedian would leave his joke. The playful calling you bastos would be the expected response if your joke worked. But then you have to pick up on how she used her 'bastos" call.
blueeyescanada
Freshman Poster

Post by blueeyescanada »

Who the f**k wants to have a conversation with a f***ing woman anyway?!
That's why I love foreign women when they're with their countrywomen, they
can squawk away and I can f***ing tune out.

There's only one good use for a woman's mouth and it ain't talking, and even
then 90% of them suck at it.
sushiman
Freshman Poster

Post by sushiman »

The first thing I leaned in Asia -- people don't understand sarcasm. That's been my experience in Korea, China and Philippines. Thus I don't do sarcasm with Asians, easy.
saya
Freshman Poster

Post by saya »

Lol this post really made me laugh. I was reading a yahoo article on Miss Universe and as always, the best bits of any article are the comments. So an older man in his 60s makes a comment and one of the responses was to check out this website. I have read some of the blogs and find it extremely entertaining especially that I am Filipina myself and married to a white guy. =)

Johnny.. I was not born or raised in the Philippines but the conversation you typed out really made me laugh because it is exactly the type of conversation my brother would have when he was dating his wife and my brother would complain to me that she didn't get his humour. She is a certified public accountant born and bred in the Philippines and her not understanding sarcasm has nothing to do with her social class. I don't think Filipinos are sarcastic by nature which is why they don't understand it and I mean that in a good, innocent sort of way. I got my sarcasm from the UK during my school days and some of it was pretty rude.

But I can totally understand how the girl who were chatting to didn't find your sarcasm amusing. If it's any consolation my sister in law now understands my brother's humour and sarcasm... they've been married 4 years now. So there's light at the end of the tunnel! =)
Last edited by saya on November 12th, 2013, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
saya
Freshman Poster

Post by saya »

Oh and one more thing... references to private areas will definitely not go down well. I think any decent girl, not just Filipina girl, will find comments/jokes like that pretty vulgar and perverted.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 14th, 2020, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

I don't know why sarcasm is seen as something negative, necessarily. British sarcasm can range from lighthearted and harmless to nasty and cynical. To assume that sarcasm is always, always a bad thing is to measure it by english standards, as if they are the standard by which everyone else should be measured.

Spanish people (I'm spanish) are a bit like filipinos in the sense that they tend not to resort to sarcasm too often. However, we can be quite sarcastic at times. As I'm sure we all know, the Philippines used to belong to Spain, so I had always assumed that the filipinos would not only share the spanish tendency not to usually be sarcastic (as they do), but also the spanish tendency to be sarcastic and cheeky sometimes. Also, swearing and references to rude bits in spanish isn't considered such a big deal as it is in english, which is something that one might not expect, but it's true.

For example, in spanish, when you say "serves you right" or "haha" or words to that effect, one way of saying it is "jodete". Whenever I used to say it to my dad he used to look at me like I'd said something really rude, and I didn't really understand what jodete as a verb meant (since I grew up in England, meaning that there were a few words that I didn't fully understand their context, as there was no need, and everyone around me speaks english). I remember thinking what an uptight as shole. It was years later that I learned that jodete literally means f**k yourself. Also, people swear quite a bit in spanish generally and it's no big deal. People say "I sh it on God", "I sh it on your mum", quite often.

It's because of this that I had assumed that filipinas would be easygoing about certain references.
saya
Freshman Poster

Post by saya »

I live in an African country and I would have to say one thing the people here have in common with the Filipino people is their unfamiliarity with sarcasm albeit being a British colony... it isn't in their nature or culture. I grew up here and only caught onto sarcasm in the UK. I have local friends here and they too have caught onto sarcasm but only because of exposure through media and association with the likes of us "sarcastic" people. =) I still clearly remember being completely blank and uncomprehending with my first sarcastic encounter in the UK. I didn't find it funny at all and thought it was pretty mean. (Yes, you guessed it - I did not like that girl from the get go lol) So yeh...stay away from sarcasm until you know the girl better. =)

Sarcasm is actually a pretty negative word, we just make light of it.

But anyways.. Filipinos are a warm, jovial lot and definitely joke around quite a bit. I think, like any new relationship, just exercise a bit of caution and sensitively when joking around and you're good to go. =)
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

The biggest disconnect in this thread is the basic definition of what sarcasm is. Many of the examples being used here - humor, jokes, pick up lines - are not sarcasm. See below for a definition.

Filipinas are fun loving and like humor - but like all cultures they have a humor unique to them - and it isn't sarcastic. So joke with the girl, have fun, flirt - all that is fair game. But few Filipinas will appreciate genuine sarcasm.

"Sarcasm is "a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark; a bitter gibe or taunt."[1][2] Sarcasm may employ ambivalence,[3] although sarcasm is not necessarily ironic.[4] "The distinctive quality of sarcasm is present in the spoken word and manifested chiefly by vocal inflections". [5] The sarcastic content of a statement will be dependent upon the context in which it appears.[6]"

In sarcasm, ridicule or mockery is used harshly, often crudely and contemptuously, for destructive purposes. It may be used in an indirect manner, and have the form of irony, as in "What a fine musician you turned out to be!," "It's like you're a whole different person now...," and "Oh... Well then thanks for all the first aid over the years!" or it may be used in the form of a direct statement, "You couldn't play one piece correctly if you had two assistants." The distinctive quality of sarcasm is present in the spoken word and manifested chiefly by vocal inflection ...[7]
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

Sarcasm isn't always bad, and I don't think it matters what the culture is. If they can sense that you're being playful and that you're not alluding to anything nasty, I don't think there should be a problem, especially if you already have an understanding, as long as you don't overdo it. I've been chatting with a filipina for a few months now, and at first she was very sensitive to some of my dumb jokes, but now she gets it because she knows that I mean no harm. At one point she made an error and I said : silly filipina, learn english. I didn't use smilies (I never do). But she understood that it was nothing more than a playful comment. Also she used to say that I'm making "fond" of her, so I started making fun of the fact that she said fond instead of fun.

I think sarcasm is ok. But there's a good way to introduce it into the conversation, and a not so good way. The trick is to gain their trust, and then you can have a lot of fun. My mistake I guess with the example in my opening post was that I did it way too soon. However, the girl could have been very different, she could have been someone who would naturally be ok with what I said. It was just bad luck that she wasn't. No big deal.

I don't actually think that filipinas are impaired when it comes to understanding sarcasm. I think with them, you just have to use more judgment and patience than you would with a western girl (who is much more tuned into sarcasm, and can judge tone better), and be willing to explain your jokes, which is something that I don't usually like doing as it takes away from the spontenaiety (I can't spell that word).