Winston's Travel Updates in the Southwest USA

Discuss nature, animals, wildlife and ecological issues. Share your nature photography and videos. Talk about hiking, camping and exploring national parks.
navigator
Freshman Poster

Post by navigator »

The area around Yosemite and Lake Tahoe was very nice when I went. I drove from Lake Tahoe to Mono Lake, and then into Yosemite N.P. via Tioga Pass. The scenery just outside of Yosemite in Lee Vining was almost as spectacular as it was in the park itself. Not sure if that entrance to Yosemite is still open this time of year. It usually closes some time in November I've read.

If you or anyone else is planning to visit a lot of national parks in the future, I would suggest going during one of the days, weekends, or weeks when admission is free. I got into all of the national parks in Utah during one of those "free weekends".

Speaking of good deals, I second momopi's earlier suggestion of Megabus where you can get fares for as low as $1 each way (plus a $0.50 surcharge). I've used their buses in the Northeastern U.S., Midwestern U.S., Southern U.S., Canada, England, and Wales and have had no complaints so far. The buses are relatively clean and the service is usually better than what I've encountered on Greyhound, Amtrak, and most airlines. They have routes in the Western U.S. with stops in San Francisco, Sacramento, Reno, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, and other cities. You have to be quick to get the $1, $5, or $10 fares, but it's an unbeatable deal when you do.

Have you tried skiing or snowboarding? That is one way to take advantage of the colder-weather season. Squaw Valley is fairly close to Lake Tahoe and opens in 10 days if you're still in that vicinity then.
Last edited by navigator on August 25th, 2015, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
navigator
Freshman Poster

Post by navigator »

Here is a ski resort between Reno and Lake Tahoe that will be opening this upcoming Friday: http://www.mtrose.com/
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Thanks but I'm not into skiing. It feels dangerous and I don't get how people walk on skis or sit on those dangerous chair lifts high up in the air with nothing for protection between them and the huge drop below. How do people do that as though it were a normal thing? I found it terrifying to be on a ski lift and will never repeat it again.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I'm in Fallon, NV now, which is an hour away from Reno and Carson City. I spent too much time yesterday at the railroad museum in Ely, NV because there were so many old buildings there that looked like something out of a Wild West movie, which makes me feel nostalgic, as though I had a past life there. lol

It got dark before I even arrived in Fallon. It was unpleasant and stressful driving in the dark for two hours like that on Hwy 50. And it felt long too. For some reason, when you are driving and paying attention to every moment on the road, times slows down. So one or two hours feels a lot longer than if you were watching a movie.

When you drive in the dark on roads like that, you have to use your high beams and you can't drive that fast (though I don't know how the vehicles that came up behind me and passed me up were able to drive fast at night like that). And the oncoming lights are glaring and bright. Some drivers don't even turn off their high beam when they approach me. Geez.

It also feels dangerous too because it's harder to see where the oncoming vehicles are in the dark from their headlights alone, and the danger of a head on collision is fatal.

But since it gets dark at 5pm now it was hard to avoid on such a long desolate highway.

Anyway, after lunch today I'm going to Reno, Carson City and Virginia City. I used to do acting there and worked for a modeling agency and had a hot girlfriend too. And I roommated with one of my best friends there. So the area has happy memories for me. It was probably the only time I was happy in America after 1980.

But again, Murphy's Law never lets everything be perfect for long. Eventually, it makes everything go south after a while.

I wonder if anyone I knew is still there. Most of my friends there either left or passed away. I do have one friend that moved back there though, named Elizabeth, whom I mentioned earlier. She is a hot Eurasian girl that was in a commercial with me.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
navigator
Freshman Poster

Post by navigator »

Winston wrote:I spent too much time yesterday at the railroad museum in Ely, NV because there were so many old buildings there that looked like something out of a Wild West movie, which makes me feel nostalgic, as though I had a past life there. lol
One thing I wish I had done out that way was explore old western ghost towns. I've since added that to my bucket list. Here is a website that lists some if that kind of thing interests you: www.ghosttowns.com/states/nv/nv.html
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

navigator wrote:
Winston wrote:I spent too much time yesterday at the railroad museum in Ely, NV because there were so many old buildings there that looked like something out of a Wild West movie, which makes me feel nostalgic, as though I had a past life there. lol
One thing I wish I had done out that way was explore old western ghost towns. I've since added that to my bucket list. Here is a website that lists some if that kind of thing interests you: www.ghosttowns.com/states/nv/nv.html
You should try a town called Bodie in California. My friend Elizabeth recommended it.

http://www.bodie.com/

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ca/bodie.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodie,_California

I'll check it out if I can. It's near Carson City, where I'm at now, and Yosemite too.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
I'm in Carson City, NV now, which is the state capital. Wow what a contrast it is here from Las Vegas. Even though it's in the same state, the people here are a world of difference. They are FAR FAR nicer, and I mean GENUINELY NICER. They are more warm, polite, and relaxed. Drivers here are not aggressive at all and do not honk frivolously like in Vegas. No one has honked at me here. In contrast, Vegas drivers are far more aggressive, rude, and enjoy acting like assholes. They are always in a rush to get somewhere. But not here. The Vegas vibe is similar to the LA vibe in a lot of ways.

I fit in far better here in the Reno/Carson City area. Me and Elizabeth talked to interesting people at the hot springs we went to. One of the guys we chatted with it turns out is also happier abroad for all the same reasons we are, and has been to many European countries. He also said that it is far more relaxed and friendly there. The guys were probably surprised that a good looking woman like Elizabeth is so friendly and talkative.

In my day to day interactions in Carson City, even at the store, I find that people radiate a lot more kindness and warmth than anywhere else in the US, especially Vegas. It's very refreshing and I'm quite surprised that a vibe like this exists in America. Strangers here are also easier to talk to and enjoy chit chatting casually just for the sake of it.

I used to think that Vegas was just a bigger version of Reno. But it certainly is not. The vibe in Reno is very different. There are degenerates here too, like in Vegas. But they are not as rude, crude or in your face.

So if you are looking for a place to live in the US that has nice and kind people, I'd highly recommend Carson City, Reno or Virginia City. I can't believe I didn't come here sooner. I never should have left this area when I lived here before, but I did because of lack of work here.

Virginia City is my favorite. It lies between Reno and Carson City and looks like a 19th Century town. The people are very warm and friendly and have a vibe about them from the good old days. I lived there for 6 months back in 2001 and worked as an actor there with my friend John Benneth who is a Mark Twain impersonator. You can see him and me on my biography page: http://www.happierabroad.com/biography.htm

Or you can Google "John Benneth" and you will see that he's quite infamous, like I am. lol

I visited it again yesterday and it was very refreshing to be back there. I hadn't experienced a vibe like that in America since 2001. It's hard to explain. The place is like sacred in a way. You all gotta visit it someday. I also ate a delicious home cooked meal at a cafe there. The owner came out and talked to me for a long time too. Everyone feels so familiar there. I can't believe a place like that still exists in America. You gotta come and see what I mean.

I'm wondering if I should rent a room there in Virginia City for a week or two, so I can experience a friendly town with a good vibe again, and be amidst 19th Century architecture, which I really connect with because I have a nostalgia for the Old West as though I had a past life there.

I wish I had stayed here back in 2001 and never left. But if I did, this site and movement might have never gotten started.

More info on Virginia City:
http://www.visitvirginiacitynv.com/
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/nv/virginiacity.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_City,_Nevada

Btw, on another topic, I also visited the complex of brothels just outside of Carson City, which includes the famous Moonlight Bunny Ranch. Man you will not believe the prices now. Back in 2001 the girls there were happy to do it with you for $200. Now they want $500 for a quickie and $1000 for full service. It's insane and totally outrageous. Even in Holland or Germany, such brothels cost less than $100 for action. I was shocked in disbelief at how outrageous that is. The sense of entitlement of the p4p girls there must be way off the charts into delusion. Crazy.

navigator
Freshman Poster

Post by navigator »

Winston wrote:
navigator wrote:
You should try a town called Bodie in California. My friend Elizabeth recommended it.

http://www.bodie.com/

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ca/bodie.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodie,_California

I'll check it out if I can. It's near Carson City, where I'm at now, and Yosemite too.
I like this picture of Bodie on Wikipedia. Looks like a neat place to explore.
navigator
Freshman Poster

Post by navigator »

Winston wrote:Btw, on another topic, I also visited the complex of brothels just outside of Carson City, which includes the famous Moonlight Bunny Ranch. Man you will not believe the prices now. Back in 2001 the girls there were happy to do it with you for $200. Now they want $500 for a quickie and $1000 for full service. It's insane and totally outrageous. Even in Holland or Germany, such brothels cost less than $100 for action. I was shocked in disbelief at how outrageous that is. The sense of entitlement of the p4p girls there must be way off the charts into delusion. Crazy.
Dang, that is off the charts. Better to go to TJ where it is less expensive and where the quality of women is a lot greater. Unless you're really into white women which isn't the case for me. White women don't do it for me anymore because their shitty attitudes have totally turned me off from them. Not worth the hassle.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

navigator wrote:
Winston wrote:Btw, on another topic, I also visited the complex of brothels just outside of Carson City, which includes the famous Moonlight Bunny Ranch. Man you will not believe the prices now. Back in 2001 the girls there were happy to do it with you for $200. Now they want $500 for a quickie and $1000 for full service. It's insane and totally outrageous. Even in Holland or Germany, such brothels cost less than $100 for action. I was shocked in disbelief at how outrageous that is. The sense of entitlement of the p4p girls there must be way off the charts into delusion. Crazy.
Dang, that is off the charts. Better to go to TJ where it is less expensive and where the quality of women is a lot greater. Unless you're really into white women which isn't the case for me. White women don't do it for me anymore because their shitty attitudes have totally turned me off from them. Not worth the hassle.
Well even if you like white women, you can get them in Germany or Holland at the red light districts there for under $100. I don't know why the brothels in Nevada have increased their prices by 10 times since 1996. Back in 1996, you could get it for $100 or $150. Then it rose to $200. In 2006 they started wanting $400. And now they want $800-$1000. Crazy. Wtf? Is their owner Dennis Hof enormously greedy or what? I heard that he owns them all now. Maybe that's why.

It's like the brothels have become like the healthcare industry in America, jacking up prices 10 times just because they can, out of nothing more than pure greed and a lack of sense of fairness. It's almost sociopathic in a way. I would feel guilty overcharging people. But I guess the cutthroats in America have no conscience.

I know what you mean though, white girls are kind of cold and soulless. There's no passion, warmth or sensuality in their touch. That is true to some extent even in Europe too. I don't know why.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Guys,
I know you're going to flame me for this, but I think I'm in love... with a stripper. lol

Let me explain. Last night at the strip club, I met this dancer who was tall, hot, sexy, sweet, 19 and blonde hair, blue eyes. She was good looking enough to be a playboy bunny. The thing is, after I started talking to her, she sat with me the whole time, for like 4 hours, without hustling me for anything. That had never happened to me before at a strip club. Usually they hustle you for a lapdance after a while.

But she kept talking to me nonstop with no pressure. Every time she danced on stage, she would come back and sit with me dressed in a different sexy outfit. Each time I saw her approach me again, I would think "OWWW!" in my mind and look away to catch my breath. She was so smoking hot. I gave her a few dollars each time she danced on stage though, so she would at least get something out of it.

She seemed to enjoy talking to me and liked having deep conversations and appreciated my unique out-of-the-box views on things, which she sometimes agreed with. She seemed glued to me and didn't want me to leave. She was not manipulative at all, but very relaxed and easy going.

After about 4 hours, the manager got angry at her and called her to his office to tell her that she can't talk to a customer for a long time like that without asking for a lapdance. So I bought one lapdance from her before I left, which was only $20, to not get her in trouble.

Anyhow, the point, is when a perfect looking 19 year old blonde out of my dreams talks to me for that long (about 4 hours) and seems glued to me, without hustling me or any ulterior motive, and is so relaxed with me, and talks to me like she really enjoys talking to me, a guy can't help but "fall in love". So right now I feel bitten by the love bug. You can't blame me. lol

I know that strippers are supposed to be messed up and you should not develop any feelings for them. But last night this girl was a total exception. I never met a stripper like her before. She seemed sweet and blushed too, so she was not a typical cold bitchy American girl. It was very refreshing. She certainly seems like a gem.

I know I'll get flamed for saying all this. But in light of the circumstances, I'm sure you know that you can't blame me. :)

Anyway, I plan to go back and see her again. The strip clubs here are pretty relaxed without much pressure. So they are a good experience. And plus, $20 lap dances aren't that much to me. I can afford a few here and there.

Z Man
Freshman Poster

Post by Z Man »

Hey Winston,

you don't know me well (yet), but trust me: THAT IS HER JOB TO MAKE YOU FEEL "IN LOVE"! Sorry. :?

Only qualifier I can think of to solve this issue is: Did she give you her phone number or other verifiable contact info? So you could contact her outside of the job?

You mentioned in your post you plan to go see her again at her workplace, so I am guessing "No" you did not get her contact info.

My last time I visited a strip club with my 2 buddies (in Vegas), it was $50 just to get in the door. I mentally prepared myself going in, that none of these girls like me as more than a paying customer. Sure enough, after a few minutes 2 tall slender white girls approached me and claimed they were roommates. One of the girls looked directly at me and her eyes said "F--k me!" lol. That was proof to me right there that it was all fake. I politely turned down their "backroom" invitation and they left.

A while later a cute Asian girl sat down next to me. I asked her about attending school and her future plans, etc. and a bit about her life. She engaged me in conversation politely, but after a few minutes she got bored and politely left for paying customers.

Maybe I missed the point of a strip club? Lol. The only money I spent there was the initial entry fee to get in. My 2 buddies each tossed their cash at the girls onstage, and each got a lapdance and left with no cash left in their pockets.

As they say, you get what you pay for. :wink:
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

No. But I didn't ask for her number either. I was going with the flow and did not want to sound desperate or like I was hitting on her. Asking for her number is like trying to make a move. She was already relaxed when talking to me, so why should I create tension by doing that?

But she talked to me for almost four hours, longer than any other stripper ever has, and even got in trouble with the manager for it. How do you explain that?

I spent very little for what I got out of it. I've never seen a hot American girl that relaxed before, especially one that looks like a playboy bunny. She was not manipulative at all.

There was no cover charge there either. Maybe since it's a small town and it's the slow winter season, they are more relaxed. But when I went there years ago, it was also pretty relaxed too.

Grunt
Junior Poster

Post by Grunt »

To boldly go where everyone has done before. Enjoy the herpes.
How to deal with newbies that talk much but do little.

Pics or it didn't happen.

YES/NO

Cool story, bro.

Problem solved.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

Winston, you spent years being overlooked, and then you discovered that you could get validation in other countries. Fair enough. But you haven't gotten past the stage yet of getting it all out of your system, it seems. I don't understand how someone as intelligent as you, as articulate, can still, after all these years, be in that stage. Falling in love with teenage strippers? Come on. What are you doing in strip bars anyway? If the philippines or wherever you are is full of so many great women (which I don't dispute at all) then why bar girls? Come on, you can do better than that. Surely the whole point of this is that one can find decent women among the general population of SE Asia / E Europe / L America.

Get yourself a list of standards, like I have. Literally, write it down. Down just fall for a pretty face.