Is the Philippines a caste society?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Winston
Site Admin

Is the Philippines a caste society?

Post by Winston »

When one of my local intellectual friends introduced me to the ruling clan families of Angeles City, he explained to me that among the upper classes, a person's class is not delineated by his/her money, but by their family surname, behavior and sophistication. He said that it's only the lower classes in the Philippines that delineate class by money.

Low class people who make money and buy a house and car, are still seen as low class people with money, he explained.

Thus, he says, there are upper class people with no money and lower class people with money. Such is the irony.

Doesn't this indicate a caste system in the Philippines?

He told me that a caste system is a good thing, so why is it so hated in the Western World?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Is the Philippines a caste society?

Post by momopi »

If you're a member of the burakumin in Japan, baekjeong in Korea, Dalits in India, Khadems in Yemen, etc., your opinion of the caste system would be quite different.

Read:
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/news/ ... japan.html
gmm567
Freshman Poster

Post by gmm567 »

I don't know you see the same thing on the east coast in the US.

The Kennedys are royalty. Old money is royalty.

It's good that you know the ruling family. You might need them some day.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

All I know is that I sure felt like royalty over there