Repatriate's casual observations about Manila.

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Rock wrote:
2. I don't think there is predatory pricing going on with leading cellphone carriers. It's more like an oligopoly or cartel.
You're right I finally settled on a pretty good pre-paid plan I think it's called mega 250p and has 100 mb internet, unlimited txt, and 180 min call time to the smart/sun network. Not bad for 250p i guess. The internet GPS location function on google map has been very handy when I walk around on my own.
3. If you like text attention, you will absolutely love the Philippines. Just ask Will N. Dowd lol? I've heard that it's now the leading country in terms of per capita texting. Some of the more religious ones will even send you passages from the Bible. And most will ask you about whether you've had your breakfast/lunch/dinner, etc. If you don't have time to engage them so reply with a text "I'm busy now", some might just respond, "busy doing what" lol.
Yeah this is the sort of txt msgs i've been getting. It's been very persistent daily conversation type stuff that goes on forever. :lol: Some of it is pretty funny though. I haven't received bible passages or anything too weird but it's odd how some girls here just pour their hearts out in txt. A few girls talked at length about their day at work, headaches, food she ate, shows she watched, what she wants to do, etc.. with me totally unprompted. I barely know these girls too. I would think it was some kind of scam if it weren't the majority of girls i'm txting doing this.
Will N. Dowd found the best solution for having lots of more healthy food is to get a place with a small kitchen near a supermarket, buy loads of veggies, fruits, and good cuts of meat, and do things yourself.
Yep, I have a kitchen too but what I think i'll do is try and go out and explore the city more.
5. The Internet is a big challenge in all of Phils. as discussed before. Best I've had is an unshared PLDT ADSL line with their second slowest package (the faster packages are only available in very limited special areas and go up several hundred percent for just modest target speed improvements) With the one I had there, I was happy most of time. But u don't get that unless u stay in the right kind of condo. I tried packet wifi for a long time too - both Smart and Globe. Globe is a joke. Smart is better but it only works about 70% of the time and often, it's just to slow to do about anything.
I'm connected through some cable internet at the moment I think. It's sky? The d/l was surprisingly fast this morning. I got a whole 2.3 gb show on torrent. I guess they just don't allocate bandwidth well and during peak times it gets clogged up.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

It's good that you are visiting Metro Manaila and I don't know how long you plan to stay. But I predict Phils. will not be a country you will choose to settle in longer term.

That's not to say that it won't be a very good experience for you in some ways and that you won't meet some attractive and interesting girls to get to know. But the downsides and drudgery of living there are gonna take a toll.

Food will continue to disappoint you I'm guessing and while so many girls do speak good or excellent English, that doesn't mean they are automatically deep and mature. You've read the forum posts so you know what I mean.

Also, security and personal safety is more of an issue there than most parts of Asia. That will cause you to be more on guard when you are out and about which is an ongoing hassle. And you've got the other annoyances - pollution, extreme noise, crippling traffic, complicated road transport system, and very poor alternative transport options - they all get build up and get under your skin after awhile.

When you need things done where you rely on others, it can be mind-boggling slow. And computers seem to go off-line a lot. So for example, if I have an urgent bank transaction, guard at BDO might just say, "sorry sir, offline this afternoon, please come back next Monday". Same thing happens with air and boat transport plus a myriad of other things. Bureaucracy is often mind-bogglingly slow. What could be done in 5-10 minutes in a lot of places might take you 2-3 hours there at least. And from what I've heard and seen so far, medical care can be a problem. At least it's not cheap if you want quality unless of course you compare to prices in USA.

Phils. was a country you had to see but I think there are others on your list. When you get through that list, I'll be kinda surprised if Phils. wins out for you.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

I think there are much better places in the Philippines than Manila/Quezon City areas. I spent as little time there as possible. Of course if you are looking for women, that will be a challenge in the more beautiful outer-lying areas.
Mr Natural
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr Natural »

tre wrote:if you are looking for women, that will be a challenge in the more beautiful outer-lying areas.
So why would you say that? Are you talking about quantity or quality? Or maybe you are talking about one night stand types of encounters. But if looking for a wife the rural areas are rich with good women. And my experience in almost every country, particularly the 3rd world, is that the further you get away from the metropolitan areas the more "value" as a foreigner you have. I have been to places in Asia where the majority of people had never seen a white man in person and I was treated like a rock star. Meeting tons of girls in such a situation is easier than falling out of a tree.
Everybody has a plan til they get punched in the mouth
Mike Tyson
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Rock wrote:It's good that you are visiting Metro Manaila and I don't know how long you plan to stay. But I predict Phils. will not be a country you will choose to settle in longer term.
It's still way too early to tell for me, IMO.

I do see decent potential just from the business side of PHI especially in real estate. I feel that the PHI is a step or two behind Thailand economically and developmentally speaking especially when it comes to tourism. If the PHI ever got its act together and curbed the crime, improved the infrastructure, and made things slightly more user friendly I could see a pretty significant growth spurt down the road. That's a big "if" of course but with the big ASEAN changes down the road there may be an actual effort being put in for improvement across the board. Whether the powers that be here want to do that is another question.

The price/rent ratio seems rather attractive here too, even in the heart of Makati it's still better to buy than rent. It sits at around 10 or so whereas in bangkok it's at 20+ now.
Also, security and personal safety is more of an issue there than most parts of Asia. That will cause you to be more on guard when you are out and about which is an ongoing hassle. And you've got the other annoyances - pollution, extreme noise, crippling traffic, complicated road transport system, and very poor alternative transport options - they all get build up and get under your skin after awhile.
It's darkly ironic that Mguy and I had a conversation about the level of crime in Manila before he got mugged. When I mentioned to the cute filipina english teacher I know in Bangkok that I was going to go to Manila for a month the first thing out of her mouth was "don't use your iphone on most streets because they will grab it or rob you." :lol: A filipina i've been talking to online recently said "there are a lot of bad people in Manila so be careful" The crime index in Manila is twice that of BKK and with the way security operates here I can see it's probably for good reason.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Girls update:

Online girl dating is going good so far. I have this weekend all lined up starting tomorrow with meet ups. The biggest problem thus far is that i'm fairly sure i'm talking with decent girls with real jobs and most of them are only available on weekend. I've encountered this issue in Bangkok before too but it's way easier to get around there than it is here. So even though i'm pretty centrally located for some girls it's still like 45 min away minimum. I have to pick the "favorites" and schedule other girls the next weekend after. That leaves kind of a gap in my weekdays where there's not a lot going on right now.

Any idea on how to surmount this logistical weekend scheduling issue here?

Btw there's still a lot of scammers online, most of them are pretty obvious but one girl that contacted me insisted I meet her at this one particular place off makati ave. not too far from the red light district at P. Burgos. That set off giant alarm bells. I get the funny feeling that if someone goes along with that they might be walking into something bad. I told her no way and that was the end of that.

The scammers are usually really obvious poor liars with bad profiles and don't have good communication skills but this scenario straight up sounds like some kind of planned ambush.

There must be a lot of idiots online who fall for it for them to be so brazen.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Repatriate wrote:Girls update:

Online girl dating is going good so far. I have this weekend all lined up starting tomorrow with meet ups. The biggest problem thus far is that i'm fairly sure i'm talking with decent girls with real jobs and most of them are only available on weekend. I've encountered this issue in Bangkok before too but it's way easier to get around there than it is here. So even though i'm pretty centrally located for some girls it's still like 45 min away minimum. I have to pick the "favorites" and schedule other girls the next weekend after. That leaves kind of a gap in my weekdays where there's not a lot going on right now.

Btw there's still a lot of scammers online, most of them are pretty obvious but one girl that contacted me insisted I meet her at this one particular place off makati ave. not too far from the red light district at P. Burgos. That set off giant alarm bells. I get the funny feeling that if someone goes along with that they might be walking into something bad. I told her no way and that was the end of that.

The scammers are usually really obvious poor liars with bad profiles and don't have good communication skills but this scenario straight up sounds like some kind of planned ambush.

Some ideas to save precious time. Go in stages and do your best to filter before even meeting them since Metro Manila is challenging to get around.

1. Filter online dating sites to get a short list who you get to know better by phone and text (I think you've already done that).

2. Do your best to get FB profile from her and/or cam with her. If you do that step, you will get a better idea of what they look like and can filter out additional ones who don't meet your personal physical spec preferences. Likewise (w/cam) she can get a better idea of what you look like to make sure you are real and that she wants to meet you.

3. You need to get some use of the weekdays. So with girls left from 2 above, try to convince them to meet you for a snap coffee date (10-30 minutes) right before or after her work. The goal of the first meeting should be to see if there is any chemistry in persona and usually that is apparent within seconds to minutes of a face-to-face contact. Study a map of Metro Manila which includes MRT, LRT, light rail, etc. and find out where she works and lives to coordinate a meet-up. Usually, you can find an SM Mall fairly close (or she can suggest one) and you just need to know its name (eg SM Marikina, SM Makati, etc.). For the ones in Quezon City and Valenzuela (where Ginger was from lol), Trinoma next to SM North is a good choice cus it's at end of MRT line.

4. If she wants to bring someone, limit it to just one other person (say you are shy) and you can pick-up one simple coffee or drink for both of them but not food (mguy might suggest you insist on Dutch treat but I don't see the problem with paying around 100 Pesos or less each). If she brings someone without asking you first, that's a bad sign IMO.

5. For girls who wanna come Makati, Glorietta or SM Makati is good (if they come on MRT since it's close to Ayala). Perhaps you could meet in front of Hard Rock Cafe since there is only one. Otherwise, almost everyone knows Greenbelt which is just 10 min walk from Ayala MRT and you could suggest Starbucks Greenbelt 3 which is nice outdoor area near chapel. If they work nights in call-center, that can be good if they can meet you during their break or right before/after shift since traffic is so much better during wee hours and taxis can get you places fast.

6. After you've managed to meet them, your list will become even smaller which is good. And of course you will be getting new leads in pipeline if you keep up online activity so it's a process. Now for the ones you like, you've gotta determine whether or not they are interested back and whether or not they have any deal breaker type behaviors. Some may be too busy with work and family, others might have other guy(s) in background, etc. Now as mguy will probably tell you, they will have their own tests and games. Some may play cool or hard-to-get in hopes you show you are really interested.

7. Poor girls are to be avoided unless she somehow managed to get acceptable education, decent values, and is not at all desperate. It happens, there are some diamonds among poor. Likewise, the very rich are suspect and may have a lot of the traits we so hate. But again, it's possible to find a very nice and down-to-earth girl from rich family. Somethings ultimately boil down to individual - she may be a gem while her sister is a bitch from hell.

8. If you connect well with the girl, don't over think the other stuff too much. That's what matters the most.

9. Sure, there are lots of scammers and gold diggers in Phils. including the online space. But they are not like at all shrewd like Russians. Most will behave as if they expect you to be as dumb as rocks. And they will move quickly. So it's actually quite easy to detect these and weed em right out.

10. I have done very little of this in Phils so far. But you can also work some cold approaches like mguy showed you. The advantage of this if you are picky about appearance is that there are no surprises like you can get from dating site and even FB photos.

11. As much as possible, learn the jeepney routes. Why? Not to save money cus taxis are cheap there. But often during busier traffic times (4-9 pm), rainy period, you won't be able to get a taxi if your life depended on it or it might require spending like 2 hours in a mall queue. Jeepneys go most everywhere on larger streets and are 24/7.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

xiongmao wrote:Internet/phone in China was dirt cheap. I paid like 200Rmb when I first got there and it seemed to last around 3 months. In Bangkok I am forever having to recharge the phone which means a panic to find a 7-11. 99.9% of the time it has been when I'm about to meet Falcon and I find I can't send him the crucial message.

I haven't found Thai girls clingy at all, apart from ones who are maybe 5's and are desperate for a man.

The Thai love of motorcycling *anywhere* drives me nuts, as if it wasn't bad enough walking to my BTS with the slow walkers, monks, dogs, cats, street food stalls, fat people, perilous holes in the sidewalk, dripping overflows and occasional crazy farangs.

It is my life's ambition to go in a Jolibees. In Bangkok you can get every cuisine in the world, but I've never seen a Filipino restaurant.

I gotta leave here soon as everything I eat is fried.
Don't worry, Jollibee sucks big time and is way overrated. You're not missing out on that experience, trust me. Maybe if you went out and binged drinked til early hours of the morning and there were no other decent eating options i guess that would be the only time to partake of their low-end sugar laced crap fast-food.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

Mr Natural wrote:
tre wrote:if you are looking for women, that will be a challenge in the more beautiful outer-lying areas.
So why would you say that? Are you talking about quantity or quality? Or maybe you are talking about one night stand types of encounters. But if looking for a wife the rural areas are rich with good women. And my experience in almost every country, particularly the 3rd world, is that the further you get away from the metropolitan areas the more "value" as a foreigner you have. I have been to places in Asia where the majority of people had never seen a white man in person and I was treated like a rock star. Meeting tons of girls in such a situation is easier than falling out of a tree.

Quantity and quality (if looking for the physically attractive ones). I didn't see many attractive women in the Philippines period (went to 4 spots around the country). I saw even less in the outer-lying areas. However, if I were going to move to the Philippines, I'd move to those outer-lying areas as they (the land, water, etc) are just amazingly beautiful. I didn't go for the women (I have a Filipina GF). My GF told me I wouldn't see many attractive women in the Philippines...and she happened to be correct. I planned the entire trip and all areas that we went to were chosen by me. There obviously ARE some knockouts in the Philippines, but the percentage is low IMO. In contrast, I saw hot women everywhere in Singapore and Thailand. I guess it comes down to what you are looking for. The Philippines has more beautiful and less visited areas than Singapore and Thailand. That is what I really like about the Philippines. The people are also very nice...genuinely so.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Mr S wrote:
xiongmao wrote:Internet/phone in China was dirt cheap. I paid like 200Rmb when I first got there and it seemed to last around 3 months. In Bangkok I am forever having to recharge the phone which means a panic to find a 7-11. 99.9% of the time it has been when I'm about to meet Falcon and I find I can't send him the crucial message.

I haven't found Thai girls clingy at all, apart from ones who are maybe 5's and are desperate for a man.

The Thai love of motorcycling *anywhere* drives me nuts, as if it wasn't bad enough walking to my BTS with the slow walkers, monks, dogs, cats, street food stalls, fat people, perilous holes in the sidewalk, dripping overflows and occasional crazy farangs.

It is my life's ambition to go in a Jolibees. In Bangkok you can get every cuisine in the world, but I've never seen a Filipino restaurant.

I gotta leave here soon as everything I eat is fried.
Don't worry, Jollibee sucks big time and is way overrated. You're not missing out on that experience, trust me. Maybe if you went out and binged drinked til early hours of the morning and there were no other decent eating options i guess that would be the only time to partake of their low-end sugar laced crap fast-food.
Jollibee's peach-mango pie is the only thing worth eating on their menu. However, I do recommend eating at Greenwich at SM mall, its a Filipino pizza chain, its the best chain restaurant besides McDonalds.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Went to the greenbelt yesterday to meet an online girl. She wasn't really my type but small/cute about 5' 90 lbs, seriously. She works in an accounting position and I saw her company facebook pics to know she's legit. We hit it off. It went really well. ;)

Just hanging out around greenbelt for several hours yesterday I got to see a pretty large slice of the Makati demographic.

I still have not seen a single foreigner walking around with a decent looking girl though. For example, I saw a tall white guy carrying designer clothes shopping bags for a filipina in her mid 20's who looked like Bilbo Baggins. A few other guys were walking around with women that I would classify as below par as well. Some of the guys on the forum make it sound like western foreign men are frequently dating top tier. I just haven't seen any of that at all.

I see a lot of 4-5's dating western foreigners just like in Bangkok. Mguy pretty much said locals still get the best girls and I agree with him now that i've been here awhile to scope out the scene.
jboy
Freshman Poster

Post by jboy »

Repatriate wrote:Went to the greenbelt yesterday to meet an online girl. She wasn't really my type but small/cute about 5' 90 lbs, seriously. She works in an accounting position and I saw her company facebook pics to know she's legit. We hit it off. It went really well. ;)

Just hanging out around greenbelt for several hours yesterday I got to see a pretty large slice of the Makati demographic.

I still have not seen a single foreigner walking around with a decent looking girl though. For example, I saw a tall white guy carrying designer clothes shopping bags for a filipina in her mid 20's who looked like Bilbo Baggins. A few other guys were walking around with women that I would classify as below par as well. Some of the guys on the forum make it sound like western foreign men are frequently dating top tier. I just haven't seen any of that at all.

I see a lot of 4-5's dating western foreigners just like in Bangkok. Mguy pretty much said locals still get the best girls and I agree with him now that i've been here awhile to scope out the scene.
Most europeans and americans I see walking around with their catch are walking with candidates for ms ugly philippines lol. There is a huge possibility to tap into the mid-rich class but entails work and time. I'm eurasian so may be its easier for me as I'm not branded with the white guy stigma but I do look more caucasian than my asian side especially when I have my facial hair growing wild for a while. Dated an actress and dated some of the chinese and spanish filipina, but they all took a few months of work. When I say work, don't move in for the kill asap, just make sure they see you frequently, keep it casual, build the anticipation. By the time you ask them out they'd be yearning for you. Of course that's possible for me because I'm semi-Phillies based, for the travelers, stick to the tips below:
Rock wrote:
Repatriate wrote:Girls update:

Some ideas to save precious time. Go in stages and do your best to filter before even meeting them since Metro Manila is challenging to get around.

1. Filter online dating sites to get a short list who you get to know better by phone and text (I think you've already done that).

2. Do your best to get FB profile from her and/or cam with her. If you do that step, you will get a better idea of what they look like and can filter out additional ones who don't meet your personal physical spec preferences. Likewise (w/cam) she can get a better idea of what you look like to make sure you are real and that she wants to meet you.

3. You need to get some use of the weekdays. So with girls left from 2 above, try to convince them to meet you for a snap coffee date (10-30 minutes) right before or after her work. The goal of the first meeting should be to see if there is any chemistry in persona and usually that is apparent within seconds to minutes of a face-to-face contact. Study a map of Metro Manila which includes MRT, LRT, light rail, etc. and find out where she works and lives to coordinate a meet-up. Usually, you can find an SM Mall fairly close (or she can suggest one) and you just need to know its name (eg SM Marikina, SM Makati, etc.). For the ones in Quezon City and Valenzuela (where Ginger was from lol), Trinoma next to SM North is a good choice cus it's at end of MRT line.

4. If she wants to bring someone, limit it to just one other person (say you are shy) and you can pick-up one simple coffee or drink for both of them but not food (mguy might suggest you insist on Dutch treat but I don't see the problem with paying around 100 Pesos or less each). If she brings someone without asking you first, that's a bad sign IMO.

5. For girls who wanna come Makati, Glorietta or SM Makati is good (if they come on MRT since it's close to Ayala). Perhaps you could meet in front of Hard Rock Cafe since there is only one. Otherwise, almost everyone knows Greenbelt which is just 10 min walk from Ayala MRT and you could suggest Starbucks Greenbelt 3 which is nice outdoor area near chapel. If they work nights in call-center, that can be good if they can meet you during their break or right before/after shift since traffic is so much better during wee hours and taxis can get you places fast.

6. After you've managed to meet them, your list will become even smaller which is good. And of course you will be getting new leads in pipeline if you keep up online activity so it's a process. Now for the ones you like, you've gotta determine whether or not they are interested back and whether or not they have any deal breaker type behaviors. Some may be too busy with work and family, others might have other guy(s) in background, etc. Now as mguy will probably tell you, they will have their own tests and games. Some may play cool or hard-to-get in hopes you show you are really interested.

7. Poor girls are to be avoided unless she somehow managed to get acceptable education, decent values, and is not at all desperate. It happens, there are some diamonds among poor. Likewise, the very rich are suspect and may have a lot of the traits we so hate. But again, it's possible to find a very nice and down-to-earth girl from rich family. Somethings ultimately boil down to individual - she may be a gem while her sister is a bitch from hell.

8. If you connect well with the girl, don't over think the other stuff too much. That's what matters the most.

9. Sure, there are lots of scammers and gold diggers in Phils. including the online space. But they are not like at all shrewd like Russians. Most will behave as if they expect you to be as dumb as rocks. And they will move quickly. So it's actually quite easy to detect these and weed em right out.

10. I have done very little of this in Phils so far. But you can also work some cold approaches like mguy showed you. The advantage of this if you are picky about appearance is that there are no surprises like you can get from dating site and even FB photos.

11. As much as possible, learn the jeepney routes. Why? Not to save money cus taxis are cheap there. But often during busier traffic times (4-9 pm), rainy period, you won't be able to get a taxi if your life depended on it or it might require spending like 2 hours in a mall queue. Jeepneys go most everywhere on larger streets and are 24/7.
this is dating gold for the Phillies unitiated. The weekday ocular saved me from lots of weekend dates that are bound to be disastrous. Lots of the girls are very very very good with their cameras and are totally different in the real world. More so, some aren't even girls lol.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Repatriate wrote:Went to the greenbelt yesterday to meet an online girl. She wasn't really my type but small/cute about 5' 90 lbs, seriously. She works in an accounting position and I saw her company facebook pics to know she's legit. We hit it off. It went really well. ;)

Those girls are called 'exotic' lol. I think it's more a white thing than anything else. Cus I have seen some attractive and even very attractive local girls with Middle Eastern type foreigners before. But I also see still see some Middle Eastern guys with the white guy type girls lol.

By now, I have had the chance to hang-out with a few white guys in Phils. including some forum members. Those include Dragonboy, Mr. S, Steve 55, air_king, Mr. S, and Will N. Dowd. The local girls these guys seem to notice and be attracted to (I'm just talking people watching here) seem to pretty much fall into the exotic category with almost no exceptions. Well, last I saw air_king, he was with a tall Senegalese and one Will's 'dates' is quite attractive, a tall and sexy 19 year old promo girl; definitely not exotic. But I think most of the others he scored were mostly in the 3-5 category. In contrast, when I met mguy, he invited over a girl from one of the websites I think. Now she also fell into the average category looks wise as I'm sure he will admit. But she was a working professional with a very engaging personality and clearly well educated and informed, world's away from those specimens so common being seen hand-in-hand with Joe Kano out and about in Metro Man.

Keep in mind, the Greenbelts are not necessarily representative of everything. It's kind of a weird place. It appears totally classy and you will see celebs there all the time. But it's also frequented by hos and their prospects, especially at night. For example, clientele at Havana Cafe next to Starbucks is predominantly working girls in the evening.

Try hanging out in certain areas of Ortigas and also in the Fort. Perhaps in those areas, you might see some white guys with girls who at least are not exotic. And those are interesting areas to check-out and socialize in.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Rock wrote: Those girls are called 'exotic' lol. I think it's more a white thing than anything else. Cus I have seen some attractive and even very attractive local girls with Middle Eastern type foreigners before. But I also see still see some Middle Eastern guys with the white guy type girls lol.
This must be the exception in Asia because most people dislike arab/middle eastern/indian looking guys throughout SE/NE asia. Is this some sort of p4p or kept woman type of relationship ? I just can't imagine these guys hooking up in Asia without some sort of monetary compensation or other financial incentives involved. Especially considering they have a reputation for treating all women like dog shit. I haven't seen these guys hooked up with hot women yet myself but I believe what you say since you've been here a long time.
By now, I have had the chance to hang-out with a few white guys in Phils. including some forum members. Those include Dragonboy, Mr. S, Steve 55, air_king, Mr. S, and Will N. Dowd. The local girls these guys seem to notice and be attracted to (I'm just talking people watching here) seem to pretty much fall into the exotic category with almost no exceptions. Well, last I saw air_king, he was with a tall Senegalese and one Will's 'dates' is quite attractive, a tall and sexy 19 year old promo girl; definitely not exotic. But I think most of the others he scored were mostly in the 3-5 category.
This seems to be the case throughout SE Asia really. Some guys seem to have permanent asian goggles on where anyone who is slim is passable. If Manila is widely considered one of the "easiest" places for white western men and it's still overwhelmingly weighted towards guys dating 4-5's then I don't know what to say about that.
Try hanging out in certain areas of Ortigas and also in the Fort. Perhaps in those areas, you might see some white guys with girls who at least are not exotic. And those are interesting areas to check-out and socialize in.
It's definitely on the schedule. I have a feeling that expats who are truly acculturated and stay long term in those areas dating the... as you put it, "non exotic" girls are probably the exception rather than the rule though. Kind of like the fluent thai speaking, buttoned up collar wearing, social circle greasing, urbane young foreign guys you sometimes see around Thonglor with Thai middle class girls. They are a pretty rare specimen overall.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Some thoughts about online girls...

I feel there is usually something wrong with online girls that may not be as obvious to us but usually it's obvious to the better class of local men who avoid them, which usually gives the girls incentives to go online and find foreigners. Mguy brought this up to me before but I actually figured this was the case already and confirmed it with my interactions. The women who are online and who also possess good options in real life are in fact a pretty low percentage. The obvious reason is that such women wouldn't need to be online to begin with. They could easily find men to date in their own social circle or personal life. This is especially true in the dense metro areas where there are plenty of dating options. Some of you may argue that western foreign men are better etc.. that's why but that's just ethnocentric ego talk. The reality is quality local men get the first pick and I don't think this is really different anywhere in asia.

Some very common flaws i'm seeing in dating online esp in the Philippines:

1) LOTS of single moms whether stated or unstated in their profile. The percentage is startling high. 50%+ Way higher than anything I saw in Thailand.

2) Some girls are up to weird stuff job, personal life, or work wise. If they are home all day then something is obviously amiss.

3) Dodgy groupie behavior. I've noticed some are just straight up online groupies. They are looking to be banged out by as many white foreign cocks as possible. They are traded and passed around like show ponies at a millionaire's horse ranch. If you read some of the Rooshv forum threads you realize a lot of these guys end up literally banging the same party girls. One gets passed on to the next dude in the party circuit and the girl basically has her legs spread to get picked up for the next dude to land on vacation. It's gross and these women really aren't better than whores at a p4p bar except they are doing it for free. Which in fact from a moral stand point is worse if you think about it. Maybe p4p whores really need the cash for desperate reasons on the other hand these girls enjoy being whores as a lifestyle. That's a very severe personality defect in my mind.

The asian goggles effect. A lot of guys wear asian goggles. I'd say this is especially true for non-asian men who come from places like the U.S., U.K., Australia, or Canada. They can't help be blinded by asian "beauty" because there's no healthy scale of reference. I could go deeper into the sociological and racial reasons for this but i'll leave it for another time.

The net result is a lot of guys come to places like the Philippines and Thailand or elsewhere and get lots of attention from women that just aren't that great. They may be certainly loads better than the ham-beasts, skanks, and hardened feminists back in most of the U.S. but that's a really low bar to set. So for some guys anywhere in Asia is a veritable paradise. Because there's the colonial "white god factor" some immediate "positive" attention for being foreign and the fact that most women aren't total bitches.

This however, doesn't mean guys are really dating quality online or elsewhere. Relatively speaking compared with the U.S. it's a lot better but in reality..it's the quality you should be getting as a baseline back in your own country. The U.S. is so f***ed up that anywhere seems like a paradise.

Latinos, Eastern Europeans, and maybe even some western europeans already get the baseline...ie. the 4-6's for the common man is pretty easy. It's only in America where things are so skewed that the average dude is almost always left out in the cold and god help you if you're outside society's acceptable dating parameters because of race, religion, or whatever. Then that access to the baseline dating pool of 4-6's AND anything else is nearly non existent.