How does one complete against Indians for online work?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster

How does one complete against Indians for online work?

Post by Voice of Reason »

I've been doing copywriting this past year to support myself in southeast Asia, and I've had a few gigs.

However I sometimes have trouble because many companies would rather hire Indians.

Many companies would rather hire Indians for writing instead of native English speakers because Indians are prepared to write, for example, 500 words for $1.

When I go to elance (or a similiar site) there are always large numbers of Indians competing for the same gig.

I'm quite capable of doing the job and I know I can help people sell their product, but they're never interested. They don't want to hear advice on changes they can make for their webpages to increase conversions and ways to improve their site content...all they want to do is pay an Indian one dollar to write 500 words and leave it at that.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yeah you're right there are billions of Indians on oDesk as well.

Hard to compete against them but some people won't hire Indians.

Beats me why anyone would hire an Indian writer - their English is pretty strange to say the least.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster

Post by Voice of Reason »

xiongmao wrote:Yeah you're right there are billions of Indians on oDesk as well.

Hard to compete against them but some people won't hire Indians.

Beats me why anyone would hire an Indian writer - their English is pretty strange to say the least.
One of the reasons I wanted to get into writing in the first place was because I don't want to be undercut by Indians.

I guess i just need to get better at my craft, and continue to study marketing.

I'll find something good one day, and I'll keep on plugging away at it until I do.

I have no other choice really...it's either that or get a "career" (or work a menial job in Australia where I never get to travel).
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Try writing for magazine or get an exclusive contract offline with a company to do their writing. That is what I have heard. Either that, or build a brand.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Re: How does one complete against Indians for online work?

Post by Teal Lantern »

Voice of Reason wrote:I've been doing copywriting this past year to support myself in southeast Asia, and I've had a few gigs.

However I sometimes have trouble because many companies would rather hire Indians.

Many companies would rather hire Indians for writing instead of native English speakers because Indians are prepared to write, for example, 500 words for $1.

When I go to elance (or a similiar site) there are always large numbers of Indians competing for the same gig.

I'm quite capable of doing the job and I know I can help people sell their product, but they're never interested. They don't want to hear advice on changes they can make for their webpages to increase conversions and ways to improve their site content...all they want to do is pay an Indian one dollar to write 500 words and leave it at that.
Market yourself as one who fixes copy writing done by Indians that were hired for 500 words per dollar.

Barbershop #1: We cut hair for $3.
Barbershop #2: We fix $3 hair cuts. :wink:
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Its true Indians are cheap to hire but quality control in India is a serious problem. I noticed there are lots of cancelled orders on Fiverr services offered from Indian dudes.

Fiverr
http://fiverr.com/?utm_source=ge_sh&utm ... 4godfSoA2w
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »