Should I Save or Invest?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Should I Save or Invest?

Post by zacb »

I think I am going to be getting a part time job, and will have it on a temp basis. I will earn around 400 dollars. I was thinking I could either save to go to a new town I will look for work in(and stay longer to look for work because of the extra money), or I could invest it. Which do you think seems more wise? I was thinking or Ivanhoe Energy or something along those lines that is depressed. What do yous think?
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Invest it in whiskey. It is a recession-proof currency and if all else fails you can always drink it.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

True. Also investing in the war machine seems to pay dividends (see Schindlers list). For the most part I would say the market is way overvalued, but there are some corners worth looking into.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Save half and invest half, but DO NOT invest in the stocks yet. It is at an all time high which means it is due for a correction or a cyclical bear. After a catostrophic fall in the market would be a good time to invest in it.

The precious metals are in a bear market now, so you might want to consider dollar cost averaging into gold, silver, platinum and palladium funds while they are still low.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

Whatever you do, don't save very much in the Greenback USD form.

I'm going to invest some in precious metals, property, food/water supply and guns/ammo. Funny that Cornfed mentioned Alcohol, but honestly...probably a good choice as well. I'm a big fan of investing in what you can have in your possession that can be protected by your physical presence.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:Save half and invest half, but DO NOT invest in the stocks yet. It is at an all time high which means it is due for a correction or a cyclical bear. After a catostrophic fall in the market would be a good time to invest in it.

The precious metals are in a bear market now, so you might want to consider dollar cost averaging into gold, silver, platinum and palladium funds while they are still low.
Gold seems to have been overproduced, so I think it need more liquidation before I buy. Silver seems good, but I want it to drop below 20 before I buy any beyond hedges. I think maybe buying into some soft commodities funds that focus on rough rice , sugar, and the like seems like a good idea, considering how important those are to the world economy.

You are right about stocks overall. I found some specific instances (Ivanhoe), and others I want long term, but would like a better price (Cielo). Excelis seems a tad undervalued in comparison to other defense companies, and like I said about soft commodities seeming like good options, but besides that, I would concur. I just think Ivanhoe could at least cross .90 to 1.00 range.
SilverEnergy
Junior Poster

Post by SilverEnergy »

Save and invest wisely in silver, gold or real estate.

Do not mess with mutual funds and bonds.

Stocks are okay but there are better investments than stocks these days.
"Allow me to show you the Power Cosmic!" - Silver Surfer
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

The number is small, so use it to invest in yourself, either to start a business or to develop skills.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

I think short term, maybe speculate on a few stocks (Ivanhoe which have reached their 52 week lows), but otherwise I agree. Might wait for Cielo to lean lower. Maybe buy a soft commodity fund. Since I don't "need" the money per se, I think I will speculate a bit (Ivanhoe kinda makes me giddy).
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

zacb wrote:I think short term, maybe speculate on a few stocks (Ivanhoe which have reached their 52 week lows), but otherwise I agree. Might wait for Cielo to lean lower. Maybe buy a soft commodity fund. Since I don't "need" the money per se, I think I will speculate a bit (Ivanhoe kinda makes me giddy).
Gonna fight the trend and catch a falling knife, eh? :wink:
Not a CAN SLIM believer?
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Well, it is in my DNA, so my thrill seeking is a little up there. Also, Sir John Templton invested during the great depression, and came out ahead. Not say this is depression territory, not by a long shot :D .I just want a trade or two to trade.