Filming a movie abroad

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Filming a movie abroad

Post by Tsar »

Hiring a film crew, movie producers, and a photographer can be very expensive even for a low budget film. Does anyone have any recommendation about how I could begin finding information about film crews, a movie producer (for editing and producing), and a professional photographer in Eastern Europe. I am looking to compare the cost of an American film crew with a Eastern European film crew.

Based on the lodging expenses and travel expenses it would be very expensive to do a 6-8 week filming project. Hiring people who live and work in the geographic location part-time and the variance in cost of living would be the best option.

Would anyone have any advice relating to filming a movie abroad?
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

After doing some intensive research I discovered a good resource for film projects:

http://www.emergefilmsolutions.com/index.html
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

I found another possible website that might be useful if I film a movie abroad in the future. This appears like it's a very good film production company located in Russia.

http://www.rachko.com/

It will definitely save a lot of money to use a local film production company in whatever country I choose.
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

If you need this done in Manila, I have the perfect hookup for you. Has all the equipment and customers are corporate usually. Personal friend. Let me know what exactly it is you need.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Go to Kickstarter and contact folks who've done international film projects for advice:
http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/cat ... 0&%20video

Just because you filmed in Eastern Europe does not mean the editing process has to be done there.

It is also possible to use kickstarter to fund your film project.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Re: Filming a movie abroad

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

Tsar wrote:Hiring a film crew, movie producers, and a photographer can be very expensive even for a low budget film. Does anyone have any recommendation about how I could begin finding information about film crews, a movie producer (for editing and producing), and a professional photographer in Eastern Europe. I am looking to compare the cost of an American film crew with a Eastern European film crew.

Based on the lodging expenses and travel expenses it would be very expensive to do a 6-8 week filming project. Hiring people who live and work in the geographic location part-time and the variance in cost of living would be the best option.

Would anyone have any advice relating to filming a movie abroad?
Try contacting the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the country you want to shoot in. If that doesn't get you anywhere, try the Tourist Authority. I have worked with several film crews in Thailand (2X), Singapore, and in Myanmar. Also, try the local film festival in the area. They can usually give you better info on local crew.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

Filming abroad is pretty common these days. When I worked on SyFy pictures, nearly ALL were shot in Bulgaria, with local crew and even local extras. Only the director, DP and main actors are flown in from Hollywood. It doesn't matter where your story takes place. Use Artbeats for your establishing shots and then, on the ground, you can pretend you are in any city.

EVERY location will have local production companies with all the crew and equipment, ready to go. You shoul b checking for their websites and comparing their price lists. Do searches like this:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Romanian+p ... 9e33620feb
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan