Deciding which city to live in the Philippines...

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Do you prefer living in Manila, Makati or Cebu City?

Manila
17%
Makati
8%
Cebu City
17%
Other
58%

Total votes: 12
Pocket
Freshman Poster

Living in Pinas

Post by Pocket »

If in Metro Manila, i would only stay in Makati or Global City. Women can be found anywhere in Pinas if that's all your looking for. Other nice places to relax and still meet women would be Davao, Cebu City, Subic, Baguio, and definitely many more places.

Post by The_Adventurer »

Having lived in both, I say Cebu hands down! I never liked Manila. Though I have never been to Subic I have Korean friends who love the place.

I can't imagine what's up with these guys who are so against just GOING FOR IT. Visiting a place and LIVING there are NOT the same thing. If you want to know what it is like to live in a place, you have to LIVE there. I have visited places I wasn't into, ut living there, building friends and relationships etc. Turned out to be great.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Mr Natural
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr Natural »

GenYguy wrote:I still feel much better about it from watching videos on Youtube of the places I want to live and asking about different places on forums like this one. The "shock" will be expected, at least.
I remember long ago, I didn't think much of Thailand because of what I had heard from other people and seen on tv. But over the years I happened to visit a friend there a couple of times and loved it. Ended up taking numerous long term sabbaticals and living there 5 or 6 years, would still be there if I could have figured out a way to make a good living. In your case, my guess is that you have never even left the states, which is ok, but is why I suggest you should see the world somewhat before starting to narrow your thinking by what you read on the internet. Your thinking also seems odd because the Philippines is really a place better suited for older guys. Your young age will actually be a disadvantage there as opposed to other places where it would help. If I was 20 I would be learning some Mandarin in anticipation of heading to China. Anyway keep your mind open and your feet light. I guarantee you will think different in 5 or 10 years than whatever you think now.
Everybody has a plan til they get punched in the mouth
Mike Tyson
Pinaylover
Freshman Poster

Post by Pinaylover »

I don't care about the reputation of the West, the West can go to hell haha. You can rest assured Mr Natural that my generation is screwed. The culture of the West is deteriorating and my generation is known as Generation Debt, put the two together and it's gonna get real ugly. I'm going to be one of the lucky ones that escapes this hellhole. I've been brainwashed by rap and hip hop since I was a kid to pump and dump women along with most of my male peers. In truth, sex is inconsequential when pregnancy isn't involved (since the only evolutionary reason for sex is childbirth), which is why I'm getting a vasectomy before I go and will always wear a rubber. Besides, babies are only a financial liability and a liability for the planet now with the growing overpopulation. People still need to have sex though...

Ah... to be 20 years old again and to know everything... I really miss that time (sigh).
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

I won't tell you my favorite cities in the Philippines to live. However, Consolacion is not bad they just built a new mall there and Lapu Lapu has a central location with everything you need.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Post by GenYguy »

Pinaylover wrote:
I don't care about the reputation of the West, the West can go to hell haha. You can rest assured Mr Natural that my generation is screwed. The culture of the West is deteriorating and my generation is known as Generation Debt, put the two together and it's gonna get real ugly. I'm going to be one of the lucky ones that escapes this hellhole. I've been brainwashed by rap and hip hop since I was a kid to pump and dump women along with most of my male peers. In truth, sex is inconsequential when pregnancy isn't involved (since the only evolutionary reason for sex is childbirth), which is why I'm getting a vasectomy before I go and will always wear a rubber. Besides, babies are only a financial liability and a liability for the planet now with the growing overpopulation. People still need to have sex though...

Ah... to be 20 years old again and to know everything... I really miss that time (sigh).
Sigh. Can't make a logical argument so uses an Ad hominem attack instead, typical troll...
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Post by GenYguy »

Mr Natural wrote:
GenYguy wrote:I still feel much better about it from watching videos on Youtube of the places I want to live and asking about different places on forums like this one. The "shock" will be expected, at least.
I remember long ago, I didn't think much of Thailand because of what I had heard from other people and seen on tv. But over the years I happened to visit a friend there a couple of times and loved it. Ended up taking numerous long term sabbaticals and living there 5 or 6 years, would still be there if I could have figured out a way to make a good living. In your case, my guess is that you have never even left the states, which is ok, but is why I suggest you should see the world somewhat before starting to narrow your thinking by what you read on the internet. Your thinking also seems odd because the Philippines is really a place better suited for older guys. Your young age will actually be a disadvantage there as opposed to other places where it would help. If I was 20 I would be learning some Mandarin in anticipation of heading to China. Anyway keep your mind open and your feet light. I guarantee you will think different in 5 or 10 years than whatever you think now.
Why is it better suited for older guys?? Why will my young age be a disadvantage there? What are these other places that are better for young people?? I understand that some girls there disqualify young guys because they believe they won't make good relationship material (which is dumb because most of the big foreign players are old men) but it's definitely not the majority, and a lot of decent young girls there will disqualify old men as well because they want a younger boyfriend, preferably foreign... so I'll do just fine in the Philippines... and being good looking and white helps a lot either way.

Also why would you say China if you were 20? I'm keeping my mind open to learning more that's why I'm asking these questions. I hope I will know more in 10 years and have expanded my knowledge and the perspectives I have now...
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Post by GenYguy »

Taco wrote:I won't tell you my favorite cities in the Philippines to live. However, Consolacion is not bad they just built a new mall there and Lapu Lapu has a central location with everything you need.
First considered Consolacion actually heard it was only an hour away from Cebu City, good place with good food, tropical and cheap living, and plenty of cute province girls from what I was told. Lapu Lapu sounded good as well and it's bigger than Consolacion. Would have included these in the poll, but there are just so many places like these in the Philippines that I would have had to add tons more options to the poll...
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

GenYguy wrote:
Mr Natural wrote:
Why is it better suited for older guys?? Why will my young age be a disadvantage there? What are these other places that are better for young people?? I understand that some girls there disqualify young guys because they believe they won't make good relationship material (which is dumb because most of the big foreign players are old men) but it's definitely not the majority, and a lot of decent young girls there will disqualify old men as well because they want a younger boyfriend, preferably foreign... so I'll do just fine in the Philippines... and being good looking and white helps a lot either way.

Also why would you say China if you were 20? I'm keeping my mind open to learning more that's why I'm asking these questions. I hope I will know more in 10 years and have expanded my knowledge and the perspectives I have now...
Sure you will do fine in Phils. And you will certainly be able to get a lot in terms of 'quantity'. But most girls in Phils. are really not very attractive relative to girls in say Thailand, SP, Taiwan, Japan, S. Korea, or even many areas of China. You could have a great shot in those countries too. If you are after quantity, then go to Phils. But if you care a lot about looks and other factors which make a girl more attractive, then consider an alternative Asian destination. The only advantage I see in Pinays other than their availability is their superior English skills on average. But you can find that in SP too.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Davao City

Post by GenYguy »

Rock wrote:
GenYguy wrote:
Mr Natural wrote:

Sure you will do fine in Phils. And you will certainly be able to get a lot in terms of 'quantity'. But most girls in Phils. are really not very attractive relative to girls in say Thailand, SP, Taiwan, Japan, S. Korea, or even many areas of China. You could have a great shot in those countries too. If you are after quantity, then go to Phils. But if you care a lot about looks and other factors which make a girl more attractive, then consider an alternative Asian destination. The only advantage I see in Pinays other than their availability is their superior English skills on average. But you can find that in SP too.
Ya, but while I'm young I want more quantity over quality; as I get older and more successful I'll go more for quality over quantity. Being young with high testosterone, I gotta get laid a lot! lol. I will check out those other countries as I learn more more about other languages and make more money (Philippines is cheaper than all those countries you listed isn't it?). Yeah, Philippines is a good place to start if you don't know other languages or aren't a wealthy traveler. Singapore is way more expensive though, unfortunately.

Besides the safety concerns of Mindanao (terrorism and kidnapping of foreigners and holding them ransom), I did have a reason for not living there. I will not mention what that reason was, but lets just say that it is no longer a factor. Davao is being taken back into consideration, especially after I think about Will N. Dowd's thread on it. I have a lot in common with the guy (we're both introverts), I don't drink or smoke or do drugs. I don't want to do P4P. I am cheap. I I want a spot that's low key, and those spots tend to have less P4P. As a bonus Davao is cheaper than Cebu and still plenty of p***y to be found according to Will's thread lol. viewtopic.php?t=14658&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I have heard most foreigners say that the food in Phils is awful compared to the rest of the world, so I want to cook my own healthy food like Will did. This goes hand in hand with cheaper living because unlike in the US eating healthier in Phils is cheaper than fast food. The exotic foreigner factor is also higher in Davao than Cebu or Manila obviously.

Some things I have heard about Davao that I would like some more opinions on:

-it's the safest city in the Philippines. Is it REALLY? I've heard a lot say it is, but others have said don't believe it. I know the mayor has cracked down there on a lot of illegal activities like P4P (doesn't matter to me just makes it easier to find normal girls) and even other "vices" that he feels need to be limited (again doesn't affect me). I do know about the DDS, even though a vigilante group going after criminals may pose a moral question, I would not be affected by it, and I actually appreciate their presence in keeping Davao safer and cleaner.
-it has good weather relative to the rest of Phils. just something I heard lol
-it is overall cleaner and less dirty than Manila and Cebu
-people there as a whole are even friendlier and warmer than elsewhere in Phils. Can't complain about that, but what do you guys think about that statement?
-there are a lot more guys than girls. everywhere is a sausage fest. that sucks, is it really true? Well it didn't seem to have given Will any problems, hehe.
-their English there is much worse than in places with more foreigners, like Cebu and Manila. Anyone have experience to confirm this?
Any other pros and cons of Davao?

Couple more interesting things I found in my search for anyone who's interested:
http://www.singledudetravel.com/2011/10 ... -the-cons/ (real eye opener for Manila and the Philippines as a whole)
http://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-8768-post-129118.html (short thread about Davao, few good tips...)
Pocket
Freshman Poster

Re: Davao City

Post by Pocket »

GenYguy wrote:
Some things I have heard about Davao that I would like some more opinions on:

-it's the safest city in the Philippines. Is it REALLY? I've heard a lot say it is, but others have said don't believe it. I know the mayor has cracked down there on a lot of illegal activities like P4P (doesn't matter to me just makes it easier to find normal girls) and even other "vices" that he feels need to be limited (again doesn't affect me). I do know about the DDS, even though a vigilante group going after criminals may pose a moral question, I would not be affected by it, and I actually appreciate their presence in keeping Davao safer and cleaner.

Yes, Davao is the safest city in all of the cities I've visited. I lived in Davao for about 3 months and make constant visits there cause gf on the left in avatar is a Davaoena :D

-it has good weather relative to the rest of Phils. just something I heard lol

Gets fairly hotter during summer compared to other places. Also no typhoon has directly hit Davao. The biggest worry when dealing with natural disasters would be earthquakes. Than again earthquakes can happen anywhere here.

-it is overall cleaner and less dirty than Manila and Cebu

Definitely cleaner and more organized than Metro Manila/Cebu, been to all 3 places. There are a few squatter areas that can be fairly dirty, but overall more tolerable than other places. I will say that Baguio was cleaner than Davao.

-people there as a whole are even friendlier and warmer than elsewhere in Phils. Can't complain about that, but what do you guys think about that statement?

Mindanaoans in my experience are friendly, but you can find great people all over. Particularly enjoyed the hospitable nature of folks in Batangas/Laguna. Girls in Davao can be conservative and shy compared to the other regions but don't hesitate to ever strike up a conversation. They will be overjoyed to speak to a young American white dude cause it's not very common to see younger foreign guys there.

-there are a lot more guys than girls. everywhere is a sausage fest. that sucks, is it really true? Well it didn't seem to have given Will any problems, hehe.

Hell no lol, not true, go to Matina Town Square on a weekend (local college girls) or any mall. PLENTY of beautiful young women there. I felt there were more women than men at all times there.

-their English there is much worse than in places with more foreigners, like Cebu and Manila. Anyone have experience to confirm this?

No different than any other place I've been to in Pinas. You just need to get talking with locals, I've met plenty who had fantastic to passable english speaking ability.

Any other pros and cons of Davao?

Don't worry about age ever, I'm 32 y/o and have never had an issue about my age. You being 20 will be steadily attracting any chick within 18 to 30 y/o no problem. Not sure if you like chicks in there 30s (i prefer 22 to 26 age group).

There are plenty of pros about Davao, just overall a civil place to live, unlike most places in the rest of the country. Great place to raise kids someday if you ever change your mind.

Cons... 2am club closings and the nightlife is not as exciting as Manila/Cebu.

Where is most of the hype?

Post by GenYguy »

Still can't make up my mind about Mindanao and Davao... http://www.philstar.com/nation/2013/10/ ... s-mindanao

Seems like a trade off in terms of safety to me: less crime in Davao City supposedly, but the price is the imminent threat of radical Muslims and terrorism. Also I don't know what to believe more, the government hype surrounding Mindanao or the propaganda from the mayor and citizens of Davao, saying that Davao City is safe... Even if there is a trade off, Davao City is still one of largest and cheapest cities in Phils and Will N had huge success there doing day game and internet game.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Davao is safe but it's pretty lame if you are a single guy and want to have fun with the ladies and all that. I wouldn't waste your time there unless you have a steady GF or are married and want to raise a family in a decent environment.

If you don't want to be on the main island go to one of the cities in the Visayas. Bacolod area and the island it's on is pretty decent mix of stuff. There are Westerners around but not as many as on Luzon.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Post by Devil Dog »

GenYguy wrote:
pandabear wrote:Angeles City looks like a lot of fun.
Yeah, definitely if you're into the bar scene and P4P. Anyone here had experience with non paid girls in AC? Anyone actually lived in AC?
I have not lived in Angeles but I have visited it, and I spent 3 weeks in Olongapo/Subic Bay back in its heyday. AC is a shithole. It is the last place I would go in PI for meeting regular girls.

Why? Why are the girls there? If they are not locals why did they move to AC? It is a famous destination for P4P.

Also, you are lumped in with a huge population of males who are there for P4P. If you ever get face to face with a good girl you will still have an uphill battle convincing her that you are not there for the hookers. Your 20-year old game will not be adequate for that.
GenYguy
Freshman Poster

Post by GenYguy »

Mr S wrote:Davao is safe but it's pretty lame if you are a single guy and want to have fun with the ladies and all that. I wouldn't waste your time there unless you have a steady GF or are married and want to raise a family in a decent environment.

If you don't want to be on the main island go to one of the cities in the Visayas. Bacolod area and the island it's on is pretty decent mix of stuff. There are Westerners around but not as many as on Luzon.
Can you explain why it's lame? Will N had plenty of fun in Davao...

I thought too that if I was on Mindanao I'd stand out to the girls there a lot more than on Luzon or the Visayas, because I hear there aren't many Westerners there.

Still haven't decided yet, still keeping an open mind...