I think my GF is retarded

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Hero
Experienced Poster

I think my GF is retarded

Post by Hero »

Here's the story: Back in May of 2006, I took a trip to the Philippines, and dated a pretty girl who I liked a lot. But circumstances prevented me from returning to the Philippines until April 2012. Before my second trip, I sent numerous emails and IM's to my Filipina friend to tell her that I was coming back. I also tried to find her on Facebook by searching for her name, but couldn't find her.

About a week after I returned from my second trip to the Philippines, I figured out how to find her on Facebook using her email address. Finally, we were able to chat again. I told her that I had been to the Philippines and had tried to contact her, but she didn't answer. Turns out she just never uses that email address anymore.

This morning, I'm chatting with my friend, and she asks me, when was the last time I was in the Philippines. I told her April 2012. She said that I should have told her that I was coming back to the Philippines. She had absolutely no recollection of the conversation that I just described in the second paragraph. WTF??

Now, I know Filipinas aren't very bright, but this incident shocked even me. I seriously think she's got some brain damage. I never had to dump a girl for being too stupid before, but this may be a first. How do you tell a girl that she's too dumb to date?
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Re: I think my GF is retarded

Post by Teal Lantern »

Hero wrote:Here's the story: Back in May of 2006, I took a trip to the Philippines, and dated a pretty girl who I liked a lot. But circumstances prevented me from returning to the Philippines until April 2012. Before my second trip, I sent numerous emails and IM's to my Filipina friend to tell her that I was coming back. I also tried to find her on Facebook by searching for her name, but couldn't find her.

About a week after I returned from my second trip to the Philippines, I figured out how to find her on Facebook using her email address. Finally, we were able to chat again. I told her that I had been to the Philippines and had tried to contact her, but she didn't answer. Turns out she just never uses that email address anymore.

This morning, I'm chatting with my friend, and she asks me, when was the last time I was in the Philippines. I told her April 2012. She said that I should have told her that I was coming back to the Philippines. She had absolutely no recollection of the conversation that I just described in the second paragraph. WTF??

Now, I know Filipinas aren't very bright, but this incident shocked even me. I seriously think she's got some brain damage. I never had to dump a girl for being too stupid before, but this may be a first. How do you tell a girl that she's too dumb to date?
If she's truly that dumb (or juggling too many guys to keep track of who said what), you won't have to tell her anything.
Just don't talk to her for a while, she'll forget about you.
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Hero wrote:Here's the story: Back in May of 2006, I took a trip to the Philippines, and dated a pretty girl who I liked a lot. But circumstances prevented me from returning to the Philippines until April 2012. Before my second trip, I sent numerous emails and IM's to my Filipina friend to tell her that I was coming back. I also tried to find her on Facebook by searching for her name, but couldn't find her.

Not necessarily, depending on how you define the term. My faculty adviser at UW was like that. He literally could not remember anything you talked to him about yesterday, and yet he is a fairly renowned historian in his niche. He's in his late sixties, and I assumed that this short-term memory problem inevitably would have led to some sort of obvious dementia by now. But seven years after I was last in Madison, he appears to still be doing fine.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Teal Lantern wrote:

If she's truly that dumb (or juggling too many guys to keep track of who said what), you won't have to tell her anything.
Just don't talk to her for a while, she'll forget about you.
This is likely the answer here and I don't why Hero wants to say something extreme like she's retarded. Holy hell man, don't play psychologist when you aren't one.

Plus if there's nothing remarkable about you Hero, maybe you're easy to forget?

How does some dude go to a country to connect with a woman and doesn't return for six years and expects everything to be the same?

Now I fully understand why your single....
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

gsjackson wrote:

Not necessarily, depending on how you define the term. My faculty adviser at UW was like that. He literally could not remember anything you talked to him about yesterday, and yet he is a fairly renowned historian in his niche. He's in his late sixties, and I assumed that this short-term memory problem inevitably would have led to some sort of obvious dementia by now. But seven years after I was last in Madison, he appears to still be doing fine.
Again picking on the "little people", I mean women from developing countries are supposed to have a mind of a steel trap, right????

Seriously you're comparing a University professor to the typical Filipino woman? I guess you miss the point that he hasn't really talked to seen her for six years and he expected the world to stand still.

I have no idea what's going on; on this forum but it needs to stop really...
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

djfourmoney wrote:
gsjackson wrote:

Again picking on the "little people", I mean women from developing countries are supposed to have a mind of a steel trap, right????

Seriously you're comparing a University professor to the typical Filipino woman? I guess you miss the point that he hasn't really talked to seen her for six years and he expected the world to stand still.

If you read more carefully, you'll note that the conversation to which he refers took place about a year and a half ago, not six years. And what point exactly did I miss in pointing out that these memory lapses can occur across a wide range of "intelligences," and can be even more egregious than in the case he talks about?

What needs to stop on this forum is people seizing on posts that they have not read with any attempt at all to understand -- or even get factually correct -- and use them as a launching point for some preconceived rant.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

gsjackson wrote:
djfourmoney wrote:
gsjackson wrote:

If you read more carefully, you'll note that the conversation to which he refers took place about a year and a half ago, not six years. And what point exactly did I miss in pointing out that these memory lapses can occur across a wide range of "intelligences," and can be even more egregious than in the case he talks about?

What needs to stop on this forum is people seizing on posts that they have not read with any attempt at all to understand -- or even get factually correct -- and use them as a launching point for some preconceived rant.
I didn't miss that point, its meaningless. He went to PI in 2006, didn't return until 2012 and thought the world should stand still. That's ridiculous...

I barely remember stuff, but that's because the majority of it is UNIMPORTANT in the grand scheme of things. This is likely what happen, she met the guy, he didn't pull the trigger, let it lapse and she's moved on to other things. He had move internet heaven and earth to find her, which unless she's a stunner which I seriously doubt is not worth the effort considering how many single women are in the country.

I am not trying to give him credence because doing that will not prevent this type of mistake happening again.

Also don't assume I didn't read it, I read it and it didn't make any sense and I posted because this type of sh*t happens around here on a regular. I know some men have really struggled to find women, get dates and have regular sex, I get it; okay?? But that's no reason with the wealth of information around here to keep making the same mistakes.

He figured that since that road was already paved, all he needed to do was drive on it. Once it was understood the previous roadwork was compromised, he ventured to find out why.

He's doing it wrong... Tons of available women in PI and he's making all this effort to return to the past? C'mon man...
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

gsjackson wrote:
djfourmoney wrote:
gsjackson wrote:

I didn't miss that point, its meaningless. He went to PI in 2006, didn't return until 2012 and thought the world should stand still. That's ridiculous...

I barely remember stuff, but that's because the majority of it is UNIMPORTANT in the grand scheme of things. This is likely what happen, she met the guy, he didn't pull the trigger, let it lapse and she's moved on to other things. He had move internet heaven and earth to find her, which unless she's a stunner which I seriously doubt is not worth the effort considering how many single women are in the country.

I am not trying to give him credence because doing that will not prevent this type of mistake happening again.

Also don't assume I didn't read it, I read it and it didn't make any sense and I posted because this type of sh*t happens around here on a regular. I know some men have really struggled to find women, get dates and have regular sex, I get it; okay?? But that's no reason with the wealth of information around here to keep making the same mistakes.

He figured that since that road was already paved, all he needed to do was drive on it. Once it was understood the previous roadwork was compromised, he ventured to find out why.

He's doing it wrong... Tons of available women in PI and he's making all this effort to return to the past? C'mon man...
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Well, if you want to make the thread about something other than the point raised by the OP -- whether or not memory lapses reflect substantial intelligence deficits -- maybe you should start another thread. The woman apparently is not unavailable, and he's asking whether she is worth the effort in light of information he received this morning.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Teal Lantern wrote:If she's truly that dumb (or juggling too many guys to keep track of who said what), you won't have to tell her anything. Just don't talk to her for a while, she'll forget about you.
Yeah, you're the second person today to tell me that she's juggling multiple guys.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

djfourmoney wrote: Tons of available women in PI and he's making all this effort to return to the past? C'mon man...
Good point.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Whatever the explanation is, I think we can all agree that there's something seriously wrong with this girl.
Maverick
Junior Poster

Post by Maverick »

She might not be dumb.

She might have ADHD or something similar. I have very bad ADHD and despite being highly educated and thought of as very intelligent by my peers, I would do what your girlfriend did regularly. Once I was finally realized what I did, began taking measures to correct it, and stuck to the measures long enough to work, this issue started improving. It still happens though, for sure.

So, no. I don't think she's retarded.

Another poster said that maybe she's talking to so many guys that she doesn't remember. That's possible too.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Maverick wrote:She might not be dumb.

She might have ADHD or something similar. I have very bad ADHD and despite being highly educated and thought of as very intelligent by my peers, I would do what your girlfriend did regularly. Once I was finally realized what I did, began taking measures to correct it, and stuck to the measures long enough to work, this issue started improving. It still happens though, for sure.

So, no. I don't think she's retarded.

Another poster said that maybe she's talking to so many guys that she doesn't remember. That's possible too.
Well, again, there's something seriously wrong with her. If she does have ADHD or something similar, then of course she has my sympathy, but I can't marry her.

Maybe I should hire Winston's detective friend to check her out.