25yo min wage worker. need saving advice.

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Deformed
Freshman Poster

Post by Deformed »

momopi wrote:
Deformed wrote:not to be rude guys and thanks for the information but I'm completely lost. what I need help with is how to either get a place cheap enough to save money. even how to be homeless without losing my job. Or how I can get a second job.
im new to making money online and ive never done it before, if you could tell me how I can make atleast 400 dollars a month thatd be nice. i just want to be able to save a decent sum in my current situation if that's too much to ask.
Where are you in Canada, and how much are you paying for rent?
800 plus internet, food, laundry, cell phone which is around 1200-1300/month. I make about 1500 a month
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

Deformed wrote:800 plus internet, food, laundry, cell phone which is around 1200-1300/month. I make about 1500 a month
Dude, what place do you live in? $800 sounds like a lot for just yourself.

Rent? Look for subletters. The places may not be as good/well maintained as traditional apartment complexes, but the cost is way better and you may land a deal. Never pay more than $500 in rent as a single person. You can also cut costs with a roommate, but this idea is only good for high-quality rooms with moderate costs.

Internet? Shouldn't be more than $50/60 a month. Shop around/downgrade if you have to. You can also completely forego internet;for casual net use, you could go to the library and go to a friend's house for more sensitive stuff. For anything that doesn't require internet, you can stay at home.

Food? I spend only $75 a month. I pay for distilled water weekly($6.40 a month), fruits($20 a month), ramen noodles($20 a month), meat like smoked sausage to put in the ramen($15 a month), and other stuff I can just pop into the oven or make quickly. I try not to buy snacks but if I do, I always go for cheap stuff, to satisfy on a monthly budget of $20. The cost is not worth the better taste. Sometimes I'll just eat fruits and drink water for a couple weeks. Lose a lot of weight effortlessly, save money too! :lol:

Laundry? I buy cheap detergent. Look for Xtra, I buy 2 units, which is $5 every 2-3 months. Fabric softener is expensive, but 1 package's worth should last about as long as the detergent. I split multiple sheets in half, and it's just as good as a single sheet, so it saves money. It depends on what you put in the dryer though. But if it's not a large blanket or something, you can usually get away with a half sheet. Blankets require a whole sheet.

If you have to go coin-op, I only spend $1.50 on washing, $1.50 on drying=$3 every 2 weeks if you have a lot of clothes. For some machines, you can get away with $0.75-$0.80 for drying. I wait until all but the clothes on my back are used, before I do laundry, as many machines at a laundromat can hold a lot of stuff.

Cell phone? $50 a month max. Never pay any more for one. You can pay less, if a phone isn't as important. I paid $20 for a temp once, it wasn't too good on voice quality, and frequently dropped calls though. Still, it lasted 4 months and met most of my needs.

You should only be paying heating and electric utilities in an apartment and since the costs are split between tenants in some cases, shouldn't be more than $75 a month.

So, your COL shouldn't go beyond $800, $900 for emergencies/extra sundries. If you wanna save, put a small amount(say, 20% of your total income, so 20% of $1500 is $300) of money into a money order or something that would take at least 3 days legally to spend. That way, you can't quickly spend it, so you're more likely to leave it alone. The key is to NOT spend as much money on stuff that won't last for at least a year. For example, food comes and goes quickly, so try not to waste a ton of money on snacks.

Don't go to a public institution like a bank for saving, too easy to spend your money then and if you screw up, they can charge you at anytime. But keep a bank account, just in case you need to make an online purchase. When you wanna make a large purchase, deposit the money orders in the amount you want and spend it all when the funds clear. Keep at least $1 in there though, so your account won't automatically be closed. Be sure to keep any money for bank fees in there also.

Also stay away from family/friends most of the time. They can indirectly manipulate you into doing stupid stuff. Not telling them your plans isn't enough.
Deformed
Freshman Poster

Post by Deformed »

C.J. wrote:
Deformed wrote:800 plus internet, food, laundry, cell phone which is around 1200-1300/month. I make about 1500 a month
Dude, what place do you live in? $800 sounds like a lot for just yourself.

Rent? Look for subletters. The places may not be as good/well maintained as traditional apartment complexes, but the cost is way better and you may land a deal. Never pay more than $500 in rent as a single person. You can also cut costs with a roommate, but this idea is only good for high-quality rooms with moderate costs.

Internet? Shouldn't be more than $50/60 a month. Shop around/downgrade if you have to. You can also completely forego internet;for casual net use, you could go to the library and go to a friend's house for more sensitive stuff. For anything that doesn't require internet, you can stay at home.

Food? I spend only $75 a month. I pay for distilled water weekly($6.40 a month), fruits($20 a month), ramen noodles($20 a month), meat like smoked sausage to put in the ramen($15 a month), and other stuff I can just pop into the oven or make quickly. I try not to buy snacks but if I do, I always go for cheap stuff, to satisfy on a monthly budget of $20. The cost is not worth the better taste. Sometimes I'll just eat fruits and drink water for a couple weeks. Lose a lot of weight effortlessly, save money too! :lol:

Laundry? I buy cheap detergent. Look for Xtra, I buy 2 units, which is $5 every 2-3 months. Fabric softener is expensive, but 1 package's worth should last about as long as the detergent. I split multiple sheets in half, and it's just as good as a single sheet, so it saves money. It depends on what you put in the dryer though. But if it's not a large blanket or something, you can usually get away with a half sheet. Blankets require a whole sheet.

If you have to go coin-op, I only spend $1.50 on washing, $1.50 on drying=$3 every 2 weeks if you have a lot of clothes. For some machines, you can get away with $0.75-$0.80 for drying. I wait until all but the clothes on my back are used, before I do laundry, as many machines at a laundromat can hold a lot of stuff.

Cell phone? $50 a month max. Never pay any more for one. You can pay less, if a phone isn't as important. I paid $20 for a temp once, it wasn't too good on voice quality, and frequently dropped calls though. Still, it lasted 4 months and met most of my needs.

You should only be paying heating and electric utilities in an apartment and since the costs are split between tenants in some cases, shouldn't be more than $75 a month.

So, your COL shouldn't go beyond $800, $900 for emergencies/extra sundries. If you wanna save, put a small amount(say, 20% of your total income, so 20% of $1500 is $300) of money into a money order or something that would take at least 3 days legally to spend. That way, you can't quickly spend it, so you're more likely to leave it alone. The key is to NOT spend as much money on stuff that won't last for at least a year. For example, food comes and goes quickly, so try not to waste a ton of money on snacks.

Don't go to a public institution like a bank for saving, too easy to spend your money then and if you screw up, they can charge you at anytime. But keep a bank account, just in case you need to make an online purchase. When you wanna make a large purchase, deposit the money orders in the amount you want and spend it all when the funds clear. Keep at least $1 in there though, so your account won't automatically be closed. Be sure to keep any money for bank fees in there also.

Also stay away from family/friends most of the time. They can indirectly manipulate you into doing stupid stuff. Not telling them your plans isn't enough.
Ty, it was very nice of you to help a man out.

I came up with a few other ideas but first ill tell you what im going to do
-get a place for 400 a month (if possible)
-use library for internet
-get a cheap cellphone plan as well as very little minutes

A few extra ideas:
-donate plasma twice a week (an extra $40-60 a week)
-buy a used car and wrap it to promote a fast food chain. A friend of mine does that. he makes a whopping 400 dollars extra a month.

So total would be $550 for cost of living. id make about 1700 a month minus cost for the car. so id save $1,150 a month
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

Deformed wrote:Ty, it was very nice of you to help a man out.
Welcome. I suppose someone would notice if I posted about normal stuff you can do to improve your living conditions. :)

Your ideas sound great! However, I would suggest implementing one thing at a time, starting with your living situation. Once you get in your natural groove, you can add extra stuff on. Try not to do too much at once.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Deformed wrote:
momopi wrote:
Deformed wrote:not to be rude guys and thanks for the information but I'm completely lost. what I need help with is how to either get a place cheap enough to save money. even how to be homeless without losing my job. Or how I can get a second job.
im new to making money online and ive never done it before, if you could tell me how I can make atleast 400 dollars a month thatd be nice. i just want to be able to save a decent sum in my current situation if that's too much to ask.
800 plus internet, food, laundry, cell phone which is around 1200-1300/month. I make about 1500 a month

Are you willing to take remote camp jobs, where transportation, room, food, internet, satellite TV, training, etc. are paid for, and you make ~$1,400 CND per week?

http://ca.indeed.com/Remote-Camp-jobs
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

momopi,

This has been boggling my mind for a while. I have to ask about your "talents"...

DID YOU GET BIT BY A f***ing RADIOACTIVE SPIDER OR SOMETHING!? You're like, the Spider-Man of job finding. :lol:
Deformed
Freshman Poster

Post by Deformed »

momopi wrote:
Deformed wrote:
momopi wrote:

Are you willing to take remote camp jobs, where transportation, room, food, internet, satellite TV, training, etc. are paid for, and you make ~$1,400 CND per week?

http://ca.indeed.com/Remote-Camp-jobs
its quite far away from where I live. and I'm really not a social guy. having to collaborate with other guys for 12 hours a day would drive me insane. its a good idea though. right now I'm gonna try to fit in a part time job, maybe a temp agency, where I have to clean at the end of the day so it doesn't interfere with my schedule.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

C.J. wrote:momopi,
This has been boggling my mind for a while. I have to ask about your "talents"...
DID YOU GET BIT BY A f***ing RADIOACTIVE SPIDER OR SOMETHING!? You're like, the Spider-Man of job finding. :lol:
No, but I used to work at Fort Mac in Alberta as a contractor/consultant. The money was good, but it's a cold, cold place.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Deformed wrote: its quite far away from where I live. and I'm really not a social guy. having to collaborate with other guys for 12 hours a day would drive me insane. its a good idea though. right now I'm gonna try to fit in a part time job, maybe a temp agency, where I have to clean at the end of the day so it doesn't interfere with my schedule.
If Alberta is too far for you, how will you ever go abroad?
Deformed
Freshman Poster

Post by Deformed »

momopi wrote:
Deformed wrote: its quite far away from where I live. and I'm really not a social guy. having to collaborate with other guys for 12 hours a day would drive me insane. its a good idea though. right now I'm gonna try to fit in a part time job, maybe a temp agency, where I have to clean at the end of the day so it doesn't interfere with my schedule.
working 12 hours with OTHER PEOPLE is what discourages me. I read the description, they are looking for a SOCIAL guy for the job
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

Deformed,

Have you considered writing about the life and trials of a "deformed" guy? I think that has a marketing spin to it.

If you're able to gather enough audience to your "plight" -- you could head to a third world country and continue building your audience. Your monthly should be at $500 if you play your cards right.

Something like that which is far from mainstream can be featured in big media and could go viral.

If you come to Manila, I will personally help you with day gaming and see whether Filipinas are truly gold inside.

Meanwhile start your blog and I will link to it.

Regards.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

Deformed
Freshman Poster

Post by Deformed »

mguy wrote:Deformed,

Have you considered writing about the life and trials of a "deformed" guy? I think that has a marketing spin to it.

If you're able to gather enough audience to your "plight" -- you could head to a third world country and continue building your audience. Your monthly should be at $500 if you play your cards right.

Something like that which is far from mainstream can be featured in big media and could go viral.

If you come to Manila, I will personally help you with day gaming and see whether Filipinas are truly gold inside.

Meanwhile start your blog and I will link to it.

Regards.
sounds like a good idea actually. Its smart enough to work, although my face is more borderline deformed; for instance when I show my left side to the camera my right cheekbone bulges out of my head whereas when I show the right side, my left cheek is sorta flat like Clint east wood. But its not anything like elephant man which is why my family never had any concerns. Im not ugly but I look unique because depending on the angle, I look like an entire different person.

could you suggest a website where I could make a blog?
The Professor
Freshman Poster

Post by The Professor »

Deformed wrote:
sounds like a good idea actually. Its smart enough to work, although my face is more borderline deformed; for instance when I show my left side to the camera my right cheekbone bulges out of my head whereas when I show the right side, my left cheek is sorta flat like Clint east wood. But its not anything like elephant man which is why my family never had any concerns. Im not ugly but I look unique because depending on the angle, I look like an entire different person.
If your face is borderline deformed how are you not ugly? I'm kinda curious now, can you post your pic?
Deformed
Freshman Poster

Post by Deformed »

The Professor wrote:
Deformed wrote:
If your face is borderline deformed how are you not ugly? I'm kinda curious now, can you post your pic?
I just got this new computer so I don't know how to use and the cam and upload pics
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Deformed wrote:
momopi wrote:
working 12 hours with OTHER PEOPLE is what discourages me. I read the description, they are looking for a SOCIAL guy for the job

Do you want to go abroad and socialize with girls?