Weight Lifting (Bulking) Programs

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
fightforlove
Junior Poster

Post by fightforlove »

I'm not sure what my testosterone level is. My BF is 14%. I'm thin and small-boned, have some decent tone already. I want to remain lean and just get more ripped.

here's my microcycle routine:

week 1 4 x 12
week 2 3 x 8-10
week 3 4 x 6-8
week 4 5 x 5

Monday: back/bicep
Pull Up
Pull Down
Seated Curls
Dumbell Curls
Seated Row

Wednesday: Chest/tricep
Bench Press
Inclinded Bench Press
Tricep Extension
Chest Dips
Skullcrushers

Friday: Shoulders/Legs
Squats
DeadLifts
Hip Adductors
Dumbell Shoulder Lifts
Rear Deltoid Flys

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

fightforlove wrote:I'm not sure what my testosterone level is. My BF is 14%. I'm thin and small-boned, have some decent tone already. I want to remain lean and just get more ripped.

here's my microcycle routine:

week 1 4 x 12
week 2 3 x 8-10
week 3 4 x 6-8
week 4 5 x 5

Monday: back/bicep
Pull Up
Pull Down
Seated Curls
Dumbell Curls
Seated Row

Wednesday: Chest/tricep
Bench Press
Inclinded Bench Press
Tricep Extension
Chest Dips
Skullcrushers

Friday: Shoulders/Legs
Squats
DeadLifts
Hip Adductors
Dumbell Shoulder Lifts
Rear Deltoid Flys
I think you are switching up the routine too much. I'd start with a weight that you can do 12 times. After that first set, increase the weight. You would then shoot for 10 reps. Once that is complete, increase the weight again and shoot for 8 reps and so on. Record each days lift so you can strive to increase each workout. Your body will need to adapt to the extra weight you are lifting by adding muscle to your frame (IF your diet is right and you are resting enough). Once you actually plateau for several weeks, THEN you can switch up your routine. No reason to switch it up if you haven't plateaued.

Your workouts look fine, but you should be getting in and out of the gym within 45-60 minutes. Intense and no BS. Focus mostly on your compound movements and seek to increase the weight as often as you can. Do NOT sacrifice form though. Get the form down before trying to increase the weight you are using. For instance, you should ALWAYS have your shoulders pushed back and down in ever exercise that you perform. Back straight and chest out. If you allow your shoulders to relax and move forward, you are asking for injuries in several areas of your body.
blueeyescanada
Freshman Poster

Post by blueeyescanada »

Mt. Capra Deep 30 Goat Powder
dissolved in goat milk.

http://www.mtcapra.com/DEEP-2-30/

and a good CoQ10 supplement.
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

yeah scooby is a knowledgeable guy, I don't agree with everything he says, but he sure lives what he speaks.

Whatever you start to do, if you don't have any back injuries I suggest you learn the peroper forum for dead lifts and squats, they'll help you no matter the goal, trust me, just make sure your forum is perfect, you could hurt your back badly, I did that 4 years ago doing dead lifts and recently the same injury re-pulled, so make sure you take care.
marklambo
Junior Poster

Re: Weight Lifting (Bulking) Programs

Post by marklambo »

fightforlove wrote:For those of you into health and fitness, what is the most proven bulking method for a relative beginner?

I am a fairly thin guy (5-9, 140 lbs), want to pack on some muscle mass. I've consulted with a trainer, a few friends and read several articles at places like bodybuildingforums, everyone has their own opinions and bragging about "do this" or "do that". Some recommend bulking/cutting, some recommend weight-incrementing microcycles, some say just stick to a very simple routine...it's almost funny.

I'd just like to gain 10 lbs or so of muscle. I'm going 3 days a week and eating a lot of protein. What have you guys done?
A beginner at lifting almost always is able to build mass much quicker than someone who has been lifting for some time. If you're looking to bulk, you need to be lifting heavy and eating a lot of calories. Doing pushups, pullups, etc isn't going to do much at all. Doing those will just help tone but not bulk. If you're trying to bulk and build mass, you need to be lifting heavy with reps of 6-8 at the heaviest you can do. If you can't do a rep of 6, the weight is too heavy. If you can easily do a rep over 8 and not hit "failure", the weight is too light.

A rule of thumb is 1 gram of protein per pound but in reality, you only need about 0.80 per pound. 1 and 0.8 won't make much of any difference. Always try to lift to failure and do at least 3-5 sets of each exercise on the muscles you're trying to bulk on. Avoid cardio and never work out for more than 1 hour straight because if you do, your body will start to release cortisol which decreases your testosterone and accelerates protein break down. You should always give your muscles a 24-48 hour rest before working that muscle group again.

Muscle gains happen while you are resting...not when you're lifting. Lifting causes muscles tissues to be damaged and when the body rests and heals the muscle tissues, that's where the growth happens. There's a lot more to it but this is a good basic starting point.

Lift hard and eat a lot! If you just lift and don't eat, you won't grow. If you just eat and not lift, you'll grow...but you''ll just get fat.
Private Investment Club
3%-5% a month average returns. No trading involved, all collateral based with low risk. PM for details.

Private Jet Flights
PM for details.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

I followed Lee Labarda's (Sp?) plan - http://www.bodybuilding.com/

It works, its classic push/pull/failure plan.

I lost 30lbs and I wasn't fat to start with. As for bulking, I had to shut it down before I really started to see results after only three months of training.

I just wanted to try to save every penny for my trip.

I am now going to try the 100 pushups plan since pushups cover the majority of muscles in your upper body.

Only investment will be Perfect Push-ups which go for $20, but they have released a improved version they are selling for $40, so we'll see which one I get.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Jeremy wrote:It doesn't really matter what your routine looks like, as long as it's not completely retarded. Results are based almost entirely on genetics and consistency.
Genetics don't have much to do with it. Some may have to work harder than others but the same results can be reached, that myth has been blown out of the water several times now.

I was at about 80-90% serious, still lost weight and started to see noticeable results after about a month. I am 43... When I get back into it, the goal is to be toned like a mutha as I don't want to bulk up too much.

I follow Strength Project on YT, you should check it out.
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

djfourmoney wrote:
Jeremy wrote:It doesn't really matter what your routine looks like, as long as it's not completely retarded. Results are based almost entirely on genetics and consistency.
Genetics don't have much to do with it. Some may have to work harder than others but the same results can be reached, that myth has been blown out of the water several times now.

I was at about 80-90% serious, still lost weight and started to see noticeable results after about a month. I am 43... When I get back into it, the goal is to be toned like a mutha as I don't want to bulk up too much.

Think of it this way. If genetics had nothing to do with it and you could just work hard, why aren't female powerlifters and Olympic lifters setting the same records as men? There you have equal time spent training, equal amounts of people at an elite level, etc, but the records still have a gap. Why? Because women are genetically not built to lift as heavy as men, nor be able to carry as much fat free muscle mass as men. Doesn't mean they shouldn't try (well some people here probably think that...) but it does mean that they'll never be as good as the male equivalent weight classes.

Now amongst men, it's the same deal. If you got a 120lb guy who can barely bench the bar his first time benching, it's probably a bit unrealistic to tell him he'll be benching 225 in a year if he just tries hard. Because making improvements is hard and you only have a finite amount of time on Earth. Can he eventually do it? Yeah, probably. But there's people that bench 225 their first time or in a month of training.

It's this way in anything in life. It's much easier for you to get more rich if you already start with money, compared to if you live in Mozambique and have like $5. Could Mozambique man potentially end up a millionaire and trust fund rich kid with money potentially blow it all on drugs and become homeless? Of course. But if you wanted to make more money, you'd rather start with more, right? Because your chances of success will be much higher and it'll take less time.

Sure, yeah, you could just "work hard" forever, but lots of people work hard and don't get the goal they wish for at the end of their working hard tunnel. I'm not saying this to put anyone down or disappoint people, but you need to be realistic. Moderately and extremely gifted people do exist. They will have to work less hard to accomplish equivalent results in whatever they're good at. I have hyperlexia and was reading at a 12th grade level in kindergarten. But how about someone who's dyslexic? For them to get to the level it took me zero real trying to do, it'd take a lot more work. An incredibly high amount of work.

This doesn't mean don't try anything, do any pursuit you find virtuous (and working out is a more virtuous pursuit than spending that time playing video games.) However keep in mind, some people will have to try hard and get less results for their efforts. And soon, you may beat genetically gifted people who don't work as hard or as smart as you, but to say genetics (or even just sheer luck/circumstances) isn't a big factor, in working out, or anything at all you do in life is simply delusional.
marklambo
Junior Poster

Post by marklambo »

onethousandknives wrote:
djfourmoney wrote:

Think of it this way. If genetics had nothing to do with it and you could just work hard, why aren't female powerlifters and Olympic lifters setting the same records as men? There you have equal time spent training, equal amounts of people at an elite level, etc, but the records still have a gap. Why? Because women are genetically not built to lift as heavy as men, nor be able to carry as much fat free muscle mass as men. Doesn't mean they shouldn't try (well some people here probably think that...) but it does mean that they'll never be as good as the male equivalent weight classes.

Now amongst men, it's the same deal. If you got a 120lb guy who can barely bench the bar his first time benching, it's probably a bit unrealistic to tell him he'll be benching 225 in a year if he just tries hard. Because making improvements is hard and you only have a finite amount of time on Earth. Can he eventually do it? Yeah, probably. But there's people that bench 225 their first time or in a month of training.

It's this way in anything in life. It's much easier for you to get more rich if you already start with money, compared to if you live in Mozambique and have like $5. Could Mozambique man potentially end up a millionaire and trust fund rich kid with money potentially blow it all on drugs and become homeless? Of course. But if you wanted to make more money, you'd rather start with more, right? Because your chances of success will be much higher and it'll take less time.

Sure, yeah, you could just "work hard" forever, but lots of people work hard and don't get the goal they wish for at the end of their working hard tunnel. I'm not saying this to put anyone down or disappoint people, but you need to be realistic. Moderately and extremely gifted people do exist. They will have to work less hard to accomplish equivalent results in whatever they're good at. I have hyperlexia and was reading at a 12th grade level in kindergarten. But how about someone who's dyslexic? For them to get to the level it took me zero real trying to do, it'd take a lot more work. An incredibly high amount of work.

This doesn't mean don't try anything, do any pursuit you find virtuous (and working out is a more virtuous pursuit than spending that time playing video games.) However keep in mind, some people will have to try hard and get less results for their efforts. And soon, you may beat genetically gifted people who don't work as hard or as smart as you, but to say genetics (or even just sheer luck/circumstances) isn't a big factor, in working out, or anything at all you do in life is simply delusional.
+1

Genetics have A LOT to do with it. Every person is born differently...different body mass, frame type, etc. If you compare 2 people....Person A has better genetics than Person B. Both Person A and B work out as hard as they can...Person A will far exceed Person B if he/she has better genetics...fact. Of course Person B can look better than Person A if Person B works out harder than Person A does. But in the end, genetics play a major role, it's a fact and no denying it.
Private Investment Club
3%-5% a month average returns. No trading involved, all collateral based with low risk. PM for details.

Private Jet Flights
PM for details.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

marklambo wrote:
onethousandknives wrote:
djfourmoney wrote:

+1

Genetics have A LOT to do with it. Every person is born differently...different body mass, frame type, etc. If you compare 2 people....Person A has better genetics than Person B. Both Person A and B work out as hard as they can...Person A will far exceed Person B if he/she has better genetics...fact. Of course Person B can look better than Person A if Person B works out harder than Person A does. But in the end, genetics play a major role, it's a fact and no denying it.
Genetics play a role, but usually they aren't the biggest factor early in a person's training. Consistency and diet will get any guy in decent shape. Genetics are what set your limits- how fast you'll reach your max and how high that mac will be. Anyone can get in decent enough shape to have an attractive body so long as they don't have some sort of actual defect. But most guys won't end up looking like 70s Arnold no matter how hard they work or what gear they use.

Just work out every other day, cook your own solid healthy meals, and don't smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol for six months. I promise you, if you do these things you will be more attractive and feel way better about yourself. You probably won't have a six pack unless you're already rail thin, and your arms won't be pipes, but it'll be a start, and those initial results will keep you going.
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

I do agree on not having a pity party about your genetics, that's a given. You got what you got. Try your best. No real reason not to, right?

As far as programs or whatever, I think programming specifically for bodybuilding is kinda dumb. Just chase bigger numbers on your big lifts and be generally athletic, do plyometrics, sprinting, go for hikes, etc. Try some gymnastics movements out, too, learn those. Gymnastics is especially cool. Sure, you can brag about a 300lb bench all day, but if you can pop into handstands on the fly it's infinitely more impressive. And gymnasts don't look bad at all. Basically do some stuff you find fun that's athletic and stick to it. I don't understand much about muscle symmetry and whatnot, so to me bodybuilding is sort of weird as I simply don't really "get" it. I feel however you look is sorta however you look. I don't see a point in doing a specific chest exercise because it'll shape your pec like 1% differently or something. To me that has no real point. BUT, to each their own. I've learned a bit from bodybuilders so I won't judge, just it's not my thing.

I don't think there's any magical bulking programs or whatever that'll give you pounds of muscle in ___ days or whatever. I mean you will get more muscular and stronger, but the rate of it is basically determined a lot by your genetics. If you wanna look good and not just take drugs and look good in summer then get side effects and decide to quit and look like crap again, all your training and stuff will take a long time, as people respond differently to different training, nutrition and supplements. But if you stick to it and go through hard times of figuring out stuff, you'll be wise and you'll have good athleticism and a good physique.

Also despite what Mark Rippetoe says there's no point in eating like 5000 calories a day and gaining 50lbs just because you started back squatting. Eat like a normal person, maybe eat slightly more calories from carbs to fuel your workouts and give you energy, but that's about it. Otherwise you just get fat. As far as the 1g protein thing, it's a scam, designed just to sell protein powder which is industrial waste. Do you seriously think 1920s or 1800s strongmen could afford to eat pounds of meat everyday?
theprimebait
Junior Poster

Post by theprimebait »

The redpill about bodybuilding is that unless you use steroids you will not make noticable gains(noticable without your shirt off lmao)and steroids cost all your money.prostitution is widepsread in the bb industry because steroids make you go into serious debt.

True Speech:a guy on steroids that doesn't even work out,will gain in 2 weeks what you will gain naturally ,perfect diet,sleep etc in a year)

another thing:

you can only hold as much muscle as your bones allow(sans chemicals aka Test,Dbol,DHT,Tren),look at the circumference of your wrists if you have 8 inch wrists you can bulk very easily,on no diet,and working out once a week.lol

if you have petite wrists and frame,well goodluck on steroids,and if you stop well so will your muscles.

you can better spend that money on vitamin mk-4 and shit tons of it,your wrists will grow(google''Asklipia vitamin -mk4'')and overall bone structure should widen.

bodybuilding and all that is a huge scam.

inb4 flaming and accusations of trolling.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

theprimebait wrote:The redpill about bodybuilding is that unless you use steroids you will not make noticable gains(noticable without your shirt off lmao)and steroids cost all your money.p4p is widepsread in the bb industry because steroids make you go into serious debt.
Steroids are NOT expensive and they don't make anyone go broke in and of themselves. The right supplements, protein and food are MUCH more expensive...no comparison really. Once per week tanning and Gym membership would cost someone as much as steroids do. If a bodybuilder is selling his body in order to get somewhere in bodybuilding it is because he doesn't want to work a regular job while he is working out. He wants to eat, sleep, lift and tan...repeat.

theprimebait wrote:True Speech:a guy on steroids that doesn't even work out,will gain in 2 weeks what you will gain naturally ,perfect diet,sleep etc in a year)
If you are talking about muscle, then that statement is completely false. You will not gain significant muscle mass without lifting weights no matter what you use. If you use mass amounts of bloating steroids like Dbol, then you could gain 10-15 pounds....of WATER weight. In fact, no one can gain many pounds of muscle in only 2 weeks period, no matter what he does or uses...

theprimebait wrote:you can only hold as much muscle as your bones allow(sans chemicals aka Test,Dbol,DHT,Tren),look at the circumference of your wrists if you have 8 inch wrists you can bulk very easily,on no diet,and working out once a week.lol

if you have petite wrists and frame,well goodluck on steroids,and if you stop well so will your muscles.

you can better spend that money on vitamin mk-4 and shit tons of it,your wrists will grow(google''Asklipia vitamin -mk4'')and overall bone structure should widen.

bodybuilding and all that is a huge scam.

inb4 flaming and accusations of trolling.
Some people can get bigger than others, REGARDLESS of what they do or use. I don't believe you can grow much bone structure after you reach a certain age. The major part of bodybuilding that is a scam is selling the belief that you can be as big as a Championship Bodybuilder...naturally OR unnaturally. The Bodybuilding magazines are used to sell supplements, but the models used and paid are ALSO on steroids, GH, etc.. Those bodybuilders live a lifestyle that the average male wouldn't even understand, much less try to duplicate.
theprimebait
Junior Poster

Post by theprimebait »

Real Steroids cost a shit ton of $$$$ unless you live in Mexico or Turkey.

good luck with your cheap fakes.

its true:Frame size is all.a 8 inch wrist polynesian will look more impressive than a 6.5 wristed geek without even working out.lmao

Frame size---->Muscle

better to be skinny with huge bones then jacked with a ecto frame.FACT.the former also will be more POWERFULL.

Jacked poseur vs naturally big bone polynesian:

bodybuilding dweeb vs naturally strong bones polynesian:

NOW I HAVE GOT A SOLUTION FOR YOU

get on megadoses of mk4.simple.your bone mass will thicken considerabely and your wrists will get wider aswell as your ribcage,you will have the V look without liftng a weight!

http://www.naturalheightgrowth.com/2013 ... naquinone/

one 58 year old woman (user "Asklipia") has reported growing 3 cm in height and seems to describe that her jaw bones and orbital rims have grown as well as overall face widening.

On page two she claims, "My cheekbones seem to have filled up too (not the muscle but the bone underneath)."

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.ph ... 605/page-2
theprimebait
Junior Poster

Post by theprimebait »

its a FACT that all natural bodybuilders use some kind of chemical.they are liars.simple.

you can't get noticabely big without it.you may gain alot of muscle after a few yrs working out,but it will not be noticable if you have a shirt on.