Post Your 2014 Travel Plans Here

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

HouseMD wrote:Probably spending my summer vacation in the Phillipines, Thailand, and Japan. Hoping for about a month of each. Might do two months of SEA and a month of eastern Europe though, I kind of miss Hungary and want to give Ukraine another shot.
What happened the first time you went to the Ukraine? Where specifically in the Ukraine did you go, and where will you go next time?

The first time I went to the Ukraine was last February, when I visited Kiev. I didn't see a lot of hot girls, but maybe that was because everybody was dressed in thick winter clothing. The second time I went to the Ukraine was last April, when I visited Odessa. I still wasn't all that impressed by the women. Maybe Eastern Ukraine is better.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Winter weather is rubbish - hot girls hide away. I had the same when I went to Shanghai in Winter. And right now in Farangland there are barely any hot girls.

Anyway, my new passport has arrived which is a big quicker than I was anticipating. I'm kind of not ready to go anywhere yet. I think 2014 could be a rerun of 2013 - go somewhere with hot ladies but tough living conditions, then bale out for the comfort of Bangkok's bars, great food and good weather :)

I also kind of like the idea of staying in Farangland and earning another pile of cash. That's one good thing that home is good for.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Places to visit:

Cluj Napoca, Romania
Crete, Greece
Krakow, Poland
Kiev, Ukraine
Bari, Italy
Tallinn, Estonia
Ibiza, Spain
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

I'd like to finally visit the Philippines (read so much about it on this forum). I'm teaching English in Korea at the moment and I don't get much time off. I have been to Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand.
MarkDY
Freshman Poster

Post by MarkDY »

Hero wrote:
MarkDY wrote:Next year, I am quitting my job and either moving to Costa Rica or Colombia. I plan to teach English and maybe start a small business.
What kind of wages do they pay to English teachers in Latin America? Ladislav told me that you have to kill yourself just to make a living down there.
I'm pulling some money out of my 401k. In 2015 I will sell my house. I hope to work away if a small profit. Enough money that I could live in either country for three-five years without working.
I have some other assets I plan to sell of before I leave. I also have some local ex-pat and native friends in both counties.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Let's sort of backtrack a bit.

I started formulating a plan to visit Brazil about this time last year and to go around May/June of this year. Unforeseen spending doomed that idea and what I thought was an effort to pay it forward by going to Mexico City to meet an online friend turned out to be for nothing, other than experiences in a city where almost nobody speaks English.

The year ended with voluntarily suspending donating plasma starting the 2nd week of Oct and returned 2nd week of Dec. To make up for that lost, I reapplied for GR (General Relief) and applied early enough to get the balance of Oct + all of Nov, so a bit over $200. Doesn't make up for the $600+ lost but as they say better than nothing.

First dilemma is to I save, save or do I spend. Jan 3rd I will get another GR payment.

Content is key and with the podcast finally going ahead full steam some investments need to be made. I am also rethinking how I want to approach my first blog, more on that later.

So given I will be getting GR from now until June 3rd 2014, the goal is to save as much as possible but be realistic. I spent enough to May 30th of this year to pay for my ticket and got a Kayak email saying my RT dropped to $672. So trying to pay it forward crushed any opportunity to buy that ticket.

This year, June and July will be dominated by the World Cup and from what I can tell airline prices have steadied to around $1,000 purchasing 7-8 months out, post World Cup. Actually I found prices below $900, but given nothing has changed in regards to fuel prices or anything like that, I can expect a price drop down near where it got last year, likely around the same time.

Target is $3000 with the possibility of triple that by then, more on THAT later. I would reach that by mid July 2014.

That's enough to stay one month plus, maybe two, maybe three depending on how things shake out, what city I end up in at first and other factors.

At first it was Sao Paulo, but given - https://www.facebook.com/spin.rocinha is in the Rocinha favela (safe) and I was invited to teach there, that is where I might end up at first.

So Brazil or Bust...
Last edited by djfourmoney on January 1st, 2014, 6:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sfexcellence
Freshman Poster
Location: Body in Vancouver Canada, Mind + Heart + Soul in the World

The impossible can happen, and does happen

Post by sfexcellence »

Hi everyone,

Long time, no posts :( . I've been lurking on the forum for over half a year now, and hope that the forum progresses beyond where it's currently at, to bigger and higher places, more success and more geared towards solutions not problems.

Since my last post, I have made a lot happen. I paid off $2185 of debt that I owed the federal govt, paid it all off in four and a half months. I then applied for a new E-Passport and got a 5 year one at a discounted rate, $97 ($87 + $10 pick up fee) instead of the new fee of $120 plus the $10 pick up fee, because I applied for it two days before the new fees came into effect. I also got $80 from a friend at the same time that I applied for a new passport, so only $17 came out of my own pocket. Not bad for someone on Disability Welfare here in Canada.

I then purchased a ticket to go to the Bahamas but ended up canceling it, bad decision there. I went to Cabo San Lucas Mexico from Sept 5 to 12th 2013, got ripped off by three different people but had enough to survive and make it back to Canada (had good times there and wouldn't mind going back now that I know what to avoid and what to go for upon arrival). I spent two weeks in Kelowna BC, had good times there, and then went to the UK in late October, leaving on Oct 26 to go to London for one day, and then come back on the 28th.

UK Immigration denied me entry, and later on in an interview with an immigration officer, after they asked me certain questions, they stated that I was being denied entry based on my mental health status. I was held in a holding area at London Gatwick airport and then transfered for one night to a detention centre, then back to the holding area and then onto the flight back to Canada (the airline - Air Transat - gave me a complimentary comfort kit on the way back).

After extensive research and thinking over the past couple of months, I plan on traveling for one month every four to five months, the most that I can afford to do being on welfare. I could start an online business but I have major concerns about social media and privacy, to the point where I won't do an online business because of it.

I will therefore start off with Cartagena Columbia in July of 2014 (one month), then Mexico City from Mid January to Mid February 2015, and then travel every four or five months from then on, to Columbia, Mexico and/or Uruguay and/or Peru. I could also do multiple cities in Europe, Krakow, Budapest, Bucharest, Sofia and Berlin.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: The impossible can happen, and does happen

Post by djfourmoney »

sfexcellence wrote:Hi everyone,

Long time, no posts :( . I've been lurking on the forum for over half a year now, and hope that the forum progresses beyond where it's currently at, to bigger and higher places, more success and more geared towards solutions not problems.

Since my last post, I have made a lot happen. I paid off $2185 of debt that I owed the federal govt, paid it all off in four and a half months. I then applied for a new E-Passport and got a 5 year one at a discounted rate, $97 ($87 + $10 pick up fee) instead of the new fee of $120 plus the $10 pick up fee, because I applied for it two days before the new fees came into effect. I also got $80 from a friend at the same time that I applied for a new passport, so only $17 came out of my own pocket. Not bad for someone on Disability Welfare here in Canada.

I then purchased a ticket to go to the Bahamas but ended up canceling it, bad decision there. I went to Cabo San Lucas Mexico from Sept 5 to 12th 2013, got ripped off by three different people but had enough to survive and make it back to Canada (had good times there and wouldn't mind going back now that I know what to avoid and what to go for upon arrival). I spent two weeks in Kelowna BC, had good times there, and then went to the UK in late October, leaving on Oct 26 to go to London for one day, and then come back on the 28th.

UK Immigration denied me entry, and later on in an interview with an immigration officer, after they asked me certain questions, they stated that I was being denied entry based on my mental health status. I was held in a holding area at London Gatwick airport and then transfered for one night to a detention centre, then back to the holding area and then onto the flight back to Canada (the airline - Air Transat - gave me a complimentary comfort kit on the way back).

After extensive research and thinking over the past couple of months, I plan on traveling for one month every four to five months, the most that I can afford to do being on welfare. I could start an online business but I have major concerns about social media and privacy, to the point where I won't do an online business because of it.

I will therefore start off with Cartagena Columbia in July of 2014 (one month), then Mexico City from Mid January to Mid February 2015, and then travel every four or five months from then on, to Columbia, Mexico and/or Uruguay and/or Peru. I could also do multiple cities in Europe, Krakow, Budapest, Bucharest, Sofia and Berlin.
You have a PM!

I wouldn't be concerned about starting a business and the NSA knowing what you're doing. Just go ahead and do it, that's a fairly weak excuse. Before Snowden I could have told you the NSA knew everything, it certainly didn't stop anybody then and its not stopping people now. If you're paranoid, you can switch over to Linux and use a VPN for everything, run the VPN at the router level.

I have a question but like you said you don't know who's reading what, so I rather say it in a PM.
ajvf97
Freshman Poster

Post by ajvf97 »

I don't know exactly when or where I'll be visiting this year, but rest assured that it won't be anywhere in the USA. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but there's really no need or desire to spend any kind of vacation time stateside.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

The_Adventurer wrote:I may be returning to Japan or Korea in 2014. A lot will depend on what kind of visa my wife can get. I wonder if I can convince her to try Thailand? :)
If you go there to work, wouldn't your wife automatically have a Visa?
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: The impossible can happen, and does happen

Post by publicduende »

sfexcellence wrote:UK Immigration denied me entry, and later on in an interview with an immigration officer, after they asked me certain questions, they stated that I was being denied entry based on my mental health status.
WTF was that for? Did you tell them you were planning to stuff explosive in a Tube carriage and shoot it against the House of Parliament? Unbelievable...
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

1) somewhere nice (probably Bali, Indonesia) for my 5th wedding anniversary, end of March;
2) 2 or 3 weeks in Colombia for Xmas.

Perhaps we'll fix something quick for the summer. Don't know yet.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

MarkDY wrote:
Hero wrote:
MarkDY wrote:Next year, I am quitting my job and either moving to Costa Rica or Colombia. I plan to teach English and maybe start a small business.
What kind of wages do they pay to English teachers in Latin America? Ladislav told me that you have to kill yourself just to make a living down there.
I'm pulling some money out of my 401k. In 2015 I will sell my house. I hope to work away if a small profit. Enough money that I could live in either country for three-five years without working.
I have some other assets I plan to sell of before I leave. I also have some local ex-pat and native friends in both counties.
Are you old enough to pull money out of your 401K without penalties?
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

D f.ucking R
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

publicduende wrote:1) somewhere nice (probably Bali, Indonesia) for my 5th wedding anniversary, end of March;
2) 2 or 3 weeks in Colombia for Xmas.

Perhaps we'll fix something quick for the summer. Don't know yet.
Lago di Como :)

A good quickie...