Help picking a country

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Help picking a country

Post by abcdavid01 »

Hi guys; I'm back. I moved to Tennessee from New Jersey this month. It's a beautiful city, Chattanooga, and I've heard it's one of the best in the U.S. outside of California. I'm back in college here majoring in History. I'm on my own though and only like 30% of the students live on campus. Besides that, during the summer a lot more will leave for home. I can walk downtown, but basically it will be like a ghost town since I don't have a car. I don't have much to go back to either and I do intend to take summer courses, so I'm looking at study abroad. Plus I think my major has a language requirement. I just need help picking a country. It could really be anywhere. I was looking at Semester at Sea because it goes through 10 countries in two months. The summer trip is through Europe and Scandinavia.

http://www.semesteratsea.org/voyages/summer-2014/

But the university also lists a bunch of abroad programs. I could check out Asia or other parts of Europe.

All:

https://utc-sa.terradotta.com/index.cfm ... ms.ListAll

Featured:

https://utc-sa.terradotta.com/index.cfm ... edPrograms

Any and all recommendations welcome.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Hey, Welcome back adcdavid!

If I were you, I would choose to go somewhere in Asia, since not only are you partially Asian--but your personality would 'fit-in' better in that part of the world, than let's say...some country in Europe or Latin America.

And forget about choosing an Anglo country like Australia or the United Kingdom to study abroad--because not only do those countries don't like Asians (or even half-Asians, in your case), but for the most part, those places are no different than the United States--both culturally and morally. ...

I think you would do reasonably well in a place like China or Taiwan, even.
MarkDY
Freshman Poster

Post by MarkDY »

Why major in History, unless you plan to teach, there are not a lot of good paying jobs for history majors.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

I say the Panarchist Republic. No taxes, regulations, and cheap land :D . lol
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 4th, 2020, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

This is a great opportunity. The Semester at Sea looks pretty bad, not visiting many interesting countries. No one can really recommend a specific country to you since each person's preferences are different. My suggestion is that you pick one country and then visit it for a few days during some vacation to see if you like it. If you do, then go there to study abroad and try to learn the language.

Of the options listed as featured, my top choices would be Japan, Mexico, and Vietnam.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Thinking about Chengdu.

https://utc-sa.terradotta.com/index.cfm ... m_ID=11241

Mandarin and Minority Culture Studies in the Land of Pandas

Sichuan University, in partnership with GlobaLinks Learning Abroad, offers students an amazing 6-week summer program where participants will gain unparalleled insight into the study of Tibetan culture while also learning Mandarin language.

The Tibet Studies class will expand participant's knowledge of Tibetan civilization both practically and theoretically. A field component is included which will lead participants to a Tibetan Village so they can better conceptualize and apply what is learned in class.

The language class consists of 50+ hours of instruction designed for students with beginner-level language skill. To compliment the language learning experience a lecture series will be conducted each week on Chinese culture, history, politics, economy, Sino-US relations, religion, and law.

Excursions to local areas of cultural interest will take place each week and participants will interact with local students through organized activities on and off campus. Some examples include: Sichuan Opera, Leshan Giant Buddha, Panda Breeding and Research Center, local museums and sports.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Sichuan University has a great reputation and would be an awesome choice. It's a good place to learn Chinese, plus get a little bit of English teaching experience.

I would have gone there had I not already had a connection with Guangzhou.

Depends what you want to do with your life. If you like academia, then Chengdu is good, but if you want to go into business then head for Guangzhou, Shenzhen or Shanghai.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

xiongmao wrote:Sichuan University has a great reputation and would be an awesome choice. It's a good place to learn Chinese, plus get a little bit of English teaching experience.

I would have gone there had I not already had a connection with Guangzhou.

Depends what you want to do with your life. If you like academia, then Chengdu is good, but if you want to go into business then head for Guangzhou, Shenzhen or Shanghai.
Yeah, I think I'm more of a scholar. Thanks for the insight.
SilverEnergy
Junior Poster

Post by SilverEnergy »

Either place is better than America if you don't fit into its social scene.

Asian dudes are liked a lot in France, although I know that you are half Asian half white.

I am black and would choose Europe in a heartbeat but Asia is fine.

Go where your heart is going and I think your heart is telling you to go to Asia.
"Allow me to show you the Power Cosmic!" - Silver Surfer
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

SilverEnergy wrote:Asian dudes are liked a lot in France
...really?
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 4th, 2020, 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilverEnergy
Junior Poster

Post by SilverEnergy »

abcdavid01 wrote:
...really?
I know they like them in Rouen France.
"Allow me to show you the Power Cosmic!" - Silver Surfer
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

abcdavid01 wrote:
...really?
Yes, it's true, abcdavid! I've been there, myself. I saw a quite a bit of attractive White females with Asian men. And, over there, there isn't the stigma against Asian men as there is in all the Anglo countries.