Interesting and very honest Filipina

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Interesting and very honest Filipina

Post by publicduende »

Just came across this interesting video from a Filipina, on a few dating myths and what a Filipina would be looking for in a man, what would turn her off, etc.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

pete98146
Experienced Poster

Re: Interesting and very honest Filipina

Post by pete98146 »

publicduende wrote:Just came across this interesting video from a Filipina, on a few dating myths and what a Filipina would be looking for in a man, what would turn her off, etc.

She's a cutie!
pandabear
Veteran Poster

Post by pandabear »

She seems different from a lot of Filipinas, because a lot of them really do like to show off their wealth.
targetguy
Freshman Poster

Philipino women

Post by targetguy »

:cry: The problem I am finding with Filipino women is support. If you meet them online they expect you to support them until you can bring them to your home country. This support can go on for years and in the end things might not work out. And the foreigner looses all the time effort and money he has spent helping his fiancé. Sometimes countrys with no visa requiremets are easier because of this support and the fiancé can just get on the plane no questions asked. Most from the phiippines have x husbands with paperwork and health problems not to mention several children. So before any fiancé can go to the usa al of these things have to be fixed and it can take years and not work out by the time things are done.
no scammers
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Re: Philipino women

Post by Halwick »

targetguy wrote::cry: The problem I am finding with Filipino women is support. If you meet them online they expect you to support them until you can bring them to your home country. This support can go on for years and in the end things might not work out. And the foreigner looses all the time effort and money he has spent helping his fiancé. Sometimes countrys with no visa requiremets are easier because of this support and the fiancé can just get on the plane no questions asked. Most from the phiippines have x husbands with paperwork and health problems not to mention several children. So before any fiancé can go to the usa al of these things have to be fixed and it can take years and not work out by the time things are done.
Not only do they expect you to support them, but after you bring them to your home country, they will expect you to support HER parents, siblings and extended relatives. Most foreigners don't understand that custom and it becomes a big issue. Before you marry a Filipina, make sure she AND her family understands you are NOT an ATM machine.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Halwick wrote:
targetguy wrote::cry: The problem I am finding with Filipino women is support. If you meet them online they expect you to support them until you can bring them to your home country. This support can go on for years and in the end things might not work out. And the foreigner looses all the time effort and money he has spent helping his fiancé. Sometimes countrys with no visa requiremets are easier because of this support and the fiancé can just get on the plane no questions asked. Most from the phiippines have x husbands with paperwork and health problems not to mention several children. So before any fiancé can go to the usa al of these things have to be fixed and it can take years and not work out by the time things are done.
Not only do they expect you to support them, but after you bring them to your home country, they will expect you to support HER parents, siblings and extended relatives. Most foreigners don't understand that custom and it becomes a big issue. Before you marry a Filipina, make sure she AND her family understands you are NOT an ATM machine.
This only applies with those Filipinas who are specifically dating foreigners with the hope of being pulled off poverty and ensuring themselves and their families a better lifestyle. Nothing wrong with that, but in that case I would really be confused as to where the love/infatuation starts and the necessity begins. Such problem simply does not exist with a Filpina who clearly has her own means of support, perhaps a decent job or even a career, and/or belongs to a middle or upper class family. As so many said before, those girls are hard if not harder to win compared to European and even Latin American girls. The saving grace being that if they do fall in love with young foreigner, it's genuinely because they love him, the exotic factor, the idea of having cute babies and even the - ever present - traditional idea of forging a family alliance by pooling networks and riches.

As far as my opinion goes, only a very decent young man, the kind of man who has no problem dating anywhere else in the world - would be able to woo such women. There might be posters who will claim exceptions, granted, but I am not getting deluded that a 20-yo Filipino-Chinese from a prominent family will marry US young dude from the military base nearby just for the sake of it. Even if she were to be madly in love with said stud, her family will put so much pressure that she'd had to lose a lot por everything to be with him.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

Halwick wrote:
If you meet a Filipina, this needs to discussed in advance. Chances are that you'll have to send back in the neighborhood of $200 - $300 per month. If her family is expecting anything more than this would be a red flag to avoid her.

However, the other option would be to bring her back to your county and allow her to work. This is what my wife does. She's a full time dental assistant making $18 per hour. She makes more than enough money to send money back to her family and have money left over. Problem solved.

View this as an opportunity not a burden guys! If her family is taken care of, she'll be happy....very happy if you know what I mean ;) Think of this as an investment. Asian families are very communal. They don't have a social security system so it's the children's responsibility to take care of the parents....even if they are middle class. If you can't accept their traditions, then you are going to run into problems. Selfish guys need not apply.

Last but not least. Filipinas are not the only ones that will want to send money back home.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

publicduende wrote:Such problem simply does not exist with a Filpina who clearly has her own means of support, perhaps a decent job or even a career, and/or belongs to a middle or upper class family. As so many said before, those girls are hard if not harder to win compared to European and even Latin American girls. The saving grace being that if they do fall in love with young foreigner, it's genuinely because they love him, the exotic factor, the idea of having cute babies and even the - ever present - traditional idea of forging a family alliance by pooling networks and riches.
I believe there is a happy medium between girls from rich families (which I think in most countries tend to be very challenging for regular guys to date) and poor girls from poor families who are desperate. That niche can be found with professional, educated, and/or entrepreneurial girls, mostly in Metro Manila and to a lessor extent the other larger urban areas. These girls may earn around 15,000 - 75,000 Pesos a month depending on their age, location, and other factors, and will not have too large an obligation (if any) to help out their families. Yet many of them still do not seem (to me so far) as picky about age and looks as various hotspots in Latin America, Caribbean, and perhaps even SE Asia. And don't even compare them to girls in developed Anglo countries where girls tend to be uber picky.

Now I believe comparing Filipinas to girls in many Sub-Saharan African cultures including those in the Caribbean is more difficult cus from what I've seen so far, it seems the money/support factor gets factored in heavily to a guy's dating prospects with the latter.

My point is Duende, from my observations so far, a lot of Filipinas who are not financially ambitious in regards to choosing a dating partner or mate still seem to be more forgiving on physical qualities of a man (whether he be western, Asian, or even local) than girls in most other cultures I've observed. Moreover, it's believed by many there that a child of mixed couples (say white or NE Asian mixed with Filipino) tends to be better looking, smarter, afforded more and better prospects, and perhaps even treated preferentially by certain people. This in itself might be a strong motivation for some non financially desperate Pinays to pair with a foreigner.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

pete98146 wrote:
Halwick wrote:
If you meet a Filipina, this needs to discussed in advance. Chances are that you'll have to send back in the neighborhood of $200 - $300 per month. If her family is expecting anything more than this would be a red flag to avoid her.

However, the other option would be to bring her back to your county and allow her to work. This is what my wife does. She's a full time dental assistant making $18 per hour. She makes more than enough money to send money back to her family and have money left over. Problem solved.

View this as an opportunity not a burden guys! If her family is taken care of, she'll be happy....very happy if you know what I mean ;) Think of this as an investment. Asian families are very communal. They don't have a social security system so it's the children's responsibility to take care of the parents....even if they are middle class. If you can't accept their traditions, then you are going to run into problems. Selfish guys need not apply.

Last but not least. Filipinas are not the only ones that will want to send money back home.
Great points. I think $200-300 is fair and reasonable for a family in genuine need as long as it doesn't rise over time nor gets accompanied at time by special emergency payments. If money must be sent, a firm and modest boundary like the one above sounds ok as long as it's rigidly adhered to. Even if girl has job and is making good bucks, I would do my best to persuade her to send back only a modest amount and use the rest for other things.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

pete98146 wrote: If you meet a Filipina, this needs to discussed in advance. Chances are that you'll have to send back in the neighborhood of $200 - $300 per month. If her family is expecting anything more than this would be a red flag to avoid her.

But what you say is philosophically inconsistent. If it is her duty to support her family, then that is HER duty, NOT yours. Her parents are NOT your parents. Her parents did not raise you or feed you or do anything for you. You don't owe them anything, technically speaking. There is no valid basis for you to have to support her family. It's not your duty. It's a price you pay for being with her, if those are her terms.

So philosophically speaking, it is not justified for them to expect you to support her family. They can't expect that. What they usually do is have her ask you for an allowance and then she will use most or all of that allowance to give to her family.

I never supported Dianne's family. You don't have to. Respecting her traditions doesn't mean that you have to support her family. If she can't accept that, then she doesn't truly love you anyway.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

Winston wrote:
pete98146 wrote: If you meet a Filipina, this needs to discussed in advance. Chances are that you'll have to send back in the neighborhood of $200 - $300 per month. If her family is expecting anything more than this would be a red flag to avoid her.

But what you say is philosophically inconsistent. If it is her duty to support her family, then that is HER duty, NOT yours. Her parents are NOT your parents. Her parents did not raise you or feed you or do anything for you. You don't owe them anything, technically speaking. There is no valid basis for you to have to support her family. It's not your duty. It's a price you pay for being with her, if those are her terms.

So philosophically speaking, it is not justified for them to expect you to support her family. They can't expect that. What they usually do is have her ask you for an allowance and then she will use most or all of that allowance to give to her family.

I never supported Dianne's family. You don't have to. Respecting her traditions doesn't mean that you have to support her family. If she can't accept that, then she doesn't truly love you anyway.
Again Winston. "Selfish guys need not apply." Once we got married, there is no more "hers" or "mine" instead it turns into "ours". This is probably one of the reasons why I'm happily married.

BTW, Cathy's (my wife) father had a very nice paying job in management but he passed away (heart attack) 10 years ago. So without our support her mother would be out on the streets.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Rock wrote:
publicduende wrote:Such problem simply does not exist with a Filpina who clearly has her own means of support, perhaps a decent job or even a career, and/or belongs to a middle or upper class family. As so many said before, those girls are hard if not harder to win compared to European and even Latin American girls. The saving grace being that if they do fall in love with young foreigner, it's genuinely because they love him, the exotic factor, the idea of having cute babies and even the - ever present - traditional idea of forging a family alliance by pooling networks and riches.
I believe there is a happy medium between girls from rich families (which I think in most countries tend to be very challenging for regular guys to date) and poor girls from poor families who are desperate. That niche can be found with professional, educated, and/or entrepreneurial girls, mostly in Metro Manila and to a lessor extent the other larger urban areas. These girls may earn around 15,000 - 75,000 Pesos a month depending on their age, location, and other factors, and will not have too large an obligation (if any) to help out their families. Yet many of them still do not seem (to me so far) as picky about age and looks as various hotspots in Latin America, Caribbean, and perhaps even SE Asia. And don't even compare them to girls in developed Anglo countries where girls tend to be uber picky.

Now I believe comparing Filipinas to girls in many Sub-Saharan African cultures including those in the Caribbean is more difficult cus from what I've seen so far, it seems the money/support factor gets factored in heavily to a guy's dating prospects with the latter.

My point is Duende, from my observations so far, a lot of Filipinas who are not financially ambitious in regards to choosing a dating partner or mate still seem to be more forgiving on physical qualities of a man (whether he be western, Asian, or even local) than girls in most other cultures I've observed. Moreover, it's believed by many there that a child of mixed couples (say white or NE Asian mixed with Filipino) tends to be better looking, smarter, afforded more and better prospects, and perhaps even treated preferentially by certain people. This in itself might be a strong motivation for some non financially desperate Pinays to pair with a foreigner.
Rock, I agree with you. Those girls you are talking about do exist, but they tend to be snapped up quite quickly by Filipino young men or equal or better lineage. 50Kpesos a month is a resident doctor's salary, I don't think there are many young women, not even in Metro Manila, who can sport those kinds of wages without a top education (Santo Tomas, Ateneo, etc.) and strong family/clan connections. You have to be really somebody to access the social circles those girls belong to, and then woo the girls themselves. Their being picky is a matter of whether they're still single or not. I only met one middle class woman who hooked up with a Westerner in his mid 40s (an American). She was undoubtly well educated and well mannered, but 1) she wasn't a looker at all and 2) she really came across quite unfriendly and boring - maybe she was just shy, don't know. Anyway, she wasn't top material.

If a not so young foreign man is looking for an independent career woman who will not mind a bit of an age difference, I would think Japan and China are better choices. There's more variety there and the girls probably look even better even without having to be mixed blood.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

publicduende wrote:
Rock wrote:

Rock, I agree with you. Those girls you are talking about do exist, but they tend to be snapped up quite quickly by Filipino young men or equal or better lineage. 50Kpesos a month is a resident doctor's salary, I don't think there are many young women, not even in Metro Manila, who can sport those kinds of wages without a top education (Santo Tomas, Ateneo, etc.) and strong family/clan connections. You have to be really somebody to access the social circles those girls belong to, and then woo the girls themselves. Their being picky is a matter of whether they're still single or not. I only met one middle class woman who hooked up with a Westerner in his mid 40s (an American). She was undoubtly well educated and well mannered, but 1) she wasn't a looker at all and 2) she really came across quite unfriendly and boring - maybe she was just shy, don't know. Anyway, she wasn't top material.

If a not so young foreign man is looking for an independent career woman who will not mind a bit of an age difference, I would think Japan and China are better choices. There's more variety there and the girls probably look even better even without having to be mixed blood.
What makes you think they get snapped up? I don't have facts and figures at hand to argue either way. But I have not found it difficult to find such girls just off dating sites who were single and attractive. And dating sites miss a big percentage of girls out there. A few come to mind:

1. Freelance call center agent mid 20s earning $1,500-2,000 a month (paid in US$)
2. Teacher trainer and lecturer mid 20s earning 35,000 to 55,000 Pesos a month depending on schedule, etc.
3. Marketing professional late 20s working both for large firm and involved also in even organization on the side: 40,000+
4. Casino employee (Cebu) late 20s earning 34,000 Pesos plus meals and 2 days off per week
5. Medical device company professional late 20s earning around 35,000 plus some commissions
6. School teacher late 20s earning 12,000 Pesos (about an hour away from Manila)
7. Business woman of 5 years running a laundry shop, lending business, and working in a hotel (in Gen San and Davao) mid 20s earning around 25,000 Pesos and growing briskly
8. Full-time student just 20 working part time earning 11,000 Pesos teaching English online for a company
9. Owner of real estate broker, late 20s, unknown earnings but has bought nice condos for herself in Metro Manila and drives a decent car

I think Metro Manila is in a state of flux. 50,000 Pesos is not as much as you may think it is, especially in Makati. It seems like call center jobs are given out like hot cakes to anyone who can speak decent English and those are gonna pay over 20,000. And just because a girl is good at earning money does not automatically put her above other girls as an interesting target for local guys. Some guys actually prefer less capable women, even if they are very well-bred and capable themselves.

Why would you say Japan and China have more variety than Phils? I would argue the opposite, especially in the case of Japan. There's more ethnic diversity in Phils. And girls in Japan and China are gonna be more age sensitive, not less. And yes, I suspect the prospect of a mixed blood child with a westerner is going to be less attractive to NE Asian than a Filipina. There's certainly no shortage of pale skin in the former.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Rock wrote:What makes you think they get snapped up? I don't have facts and figures at hand to argue either way. But I have not found it difficult to find such girls just off dating sites who were single and attractive. And dating sites miss a big percentage of girls out there. A few come to mind:

1. Freelance call center agent mid 20s earning $1,500-2,000 a month (paid in US$)
2. Teacher trainer and lecturer mid 20s earning 35,000 to 55,000 Pesos a month depending on schedule, etc.
3. Marketing professional late 20s working both for large firm and involved also in even organization on the side: 40,000+
4. Casino employee (Cebu) late 20s earning 34,000 Pesos plus meals and 2 days off per week
5. Medical device company professional late 20s earning around 35,000 plus some commissions
6. School teacher late 20s earning 12,000 Pesos (about an hour away from Manila)
7. Business woman of 5 years running a laundry shop, lending business, and working in a hotel (in Gen San and Davao) mid 20s earning around 25,000 Pesos and growing briskly
8. Full-time student just 20 working part time earning 11,000 Pesos teaching English online for a company
9. Owner of real estate broker, late 20s, unknown earnings but has bought nice condos for herself in Metro Manila and drives a decent car

I think Metro Manila is in a state of flux. 50,000 Pesos is not as much as you may think it is, especially in Makati. It seems like call center jobs are given out like hot cakes to anyone who can speak decent English and those are gonna pay over 20,000. And just because a girl is good at earning money does not automatically put her above other girls as an interesting target for local guys. Some guys actually prefer less capable women, even if they are very well-bred and capable themselves.

Why would you say Japan and China have more variety than Phils? I would argue the opposite, especially in the case of Japan. There's more ethnic diversity in Phils. And girls in Japan and China are gonna be more age sensitive, not less. And yes, I suspect the prospect of a mixed blood child with a westerner is going to be less attractive to NE Asian than a Filipina. There's certainly no shortage of pale skin in the former.
Woa, that's a mixed bag of figures. I have no problem believing 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 but 1, 2 and 9 sound off the chart. There is no way a young woman in her mid-20s working in Metro Manila as a call center operator (not manager, or supervisor) could earn 78-90K pesos a month. Those American companies who move to the Philippines do it for cost cutting reasons, what benefit would it give them if they started paying an operator the same wages as one back in the States?

Call center girls in Davao would earn anything between 15 and 25K pesos a month, enough to live in a dormitory or flatshare. 50-60K a month is a young (and well qualified) doctor's salary, and I don't believe salaries in Metro Manila are significantly higher.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make was, if a young woman is good looking, independent and on a good career path, and if they're still single by that time, I doubt they will ever need to advertise themselves on a dating site. Of course one could meet quite a few of them via common acquaintances, or their workplace. Yet even then, they won't be thoroughly impressed with average sex-starved, pot-bellied American Joe in his mid 40s. They will be looking for men who will love them as well as improve their social image. And given how close-minded the upper echelons of Filipino society can be, I guess only a small number of them will go for a Westerner.

I agree with you when you say Filipino power brokers are often looking for less capable women because they are more likely to be submissive and happier to wrap around their busy lifestyles. It's the same in Japan and South Korea and probably China. When I said variety I didn't mean ethnical diversity, just a large pool of independent women who - for one reason (like the above) or another - slipped through the cracks of the dating game.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

publicduende wrote:
Rock wrote:What makes you think they get snapped up? I don't have facts and figures at hand to argue either way. But I have not found it difficult to find such girls just off dating sites who were single and attractive. And dating sites miss a big percentage of girls out there. A few come to mind:

Woa, that's a mixed bag of figures. I have no problem believing 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 but 1, 2 and 9 sound off the chart. There is no way a young woman in her mid-20s working in Metro Manila as a call center operator (not manager, or supervisor) could earn 78-90K pesos a month. Those American companies who move to the Philippines do it for cost cutting reasons, what benefit would it give them if they started paying an operator the same wages as one back in the States?

Call center girls in Davao would earn anything between 15 and 25K pesos a month, enough to live in a dormitory or flatshare. 50-60K a month is a young (and well qualified) doctor's salary, and I don't believe salaries in Metro Manila are significantly higher.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make was, if a young woman is good looking, independent and on a good career path, and if they're still single by that time, I doubt they will ever need to advertise themselves on a dating site. Of course one could meet quite a few of them via common acquaintances, or their workplace. Yet even then, they won't be thoroughly impressed with average sex-starved, pot-bellied American Joe in his mid 40s. They will be looking for men who will love them as well as improve their social image. And given how close-minded the upper echelons of Filipino society can be, I guess only a small number of them will go for a Westerner.

I agree with you when you say Filipino power brokers are often looking for less capable women because they are more likely to be submissive and happier to wrap around their busy lifestyles. It's the same in Japan and South Korea and probably China. When I said variety I didn't mean ethnical diversity, just a large pool of independent women who - for one reason (like the above) or another - slipped through the cracks of the dating game.
1 confused me too. She was working from home a lot, involved with multiple companies, and was even getting set-up appointments or other business calls when I was hanging out with her. I don't know the details of the call center business but I did meet some people (foreigners) who got involved as middle men somehow and claimed to be making good money from it. This particular girl spoke American English with no accent I could detect. I don't remember how long she had spent Stateside or if she had even been there.

2 is someone I know well enough to have visited her company and seen her apartment. Thing is, 35,000 to 55,000 Pesos isn't even much of a living if you have to pay around 10,000 in rent and utilities (she lived on her own with a pet), get all over Metro Manila daily for work, and eat meals wherever you happen to be. Add some entertainment and other miscellaneous stuff and 1,000 Pesos a day +/- doesn't stretch so far.

I shouldn't have even included 9 in the list because she was not single when I met her, actually married to a western guy. But my friend who used to deal with her from her company told me she gets a decent amount of business. Even if she just sold 5 mn Pesos of condos a month (price of a typical 50 sq. meter 1 bed in Makati where she focused), her commission turnover would be at least 150,000 Pesos (3%).

Duende, sometimes the career women have more challenges than other types in the dating world. If they are reaching mid-late 20s and single, they may at a point where they desire a man in their lives. Some guys get intimidated by such girls. You see that in China and Taiwan too with the more independent higher earner/entrepreneurial types). So why not advertise? It certainly expands the potential pool of mates. I'm not really talking so much about the upper echelons of Fillipino society. I'm talking about women who are making relatively good money from their smarts and drive and in some cases education background. $1,000+ a month in income is not as big a deal as you think it is and really is not easy to live on in Metro Manila if you don't have support network synergy from family or friends. As for Davao, it's a lot cheaper but also much tougher to earn good money. 15K-25K per month there can do better than flat share if they don't support family. Even Will N. Dowd had total monthly expenses in that range and he had large studio in town with kitchen, A/C, and Internet, good food, and lots of dates lol.

The sex starved pot bellied middle aged guy is cliche and he can't be expected to do well anywhere I think, even Phils. Who's gonna be attracted to that? Those guys tend to stick to low lying fruit and focus on quantity anyway. But consider for example the cases of some of the posters here who have married Filippinas or maybe gotten engaged to them. I doubt they could have duplicated their successes with similar class girls in Japan or even China (just my strong hunch here though). I still think such guys have an easier time attracting young non-desperate types of women in Phils. than in most other places.