Expat Stress In China

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Expat Stress In China

Post by Taco »

Anyone who has spent time in China knows a handful of “burn-outâ€￾ expats who talk of little else but leaving.

Expat Stress In China
http://www.chinalawblog.com/2014/01/exp ... china.html

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Oh, give me a break! "laowai" is not even that bad of a term; all it means is "foreigner." That's better than to be called a nigger, spic, or chink by a racist White guy, or getting attacked for being a White male by a groups of feral Blacks, in the "knockout game."

I'm sorry, but the racism in America, Australia, Eastern Europe, Israel, Latin America, England and Russia--make the racism in China seem very tame, in comparison.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on November 18th, 2019, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Big city China can be a nightmare as well. There's just no getting away from people in the big cities.

Bangkok was hectic as well but at least there I could jump on a bus and be in seaside Pattaya in a couple of hours.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
tre
Junior Poster

Re: Expat Stress In China

Post by tre »

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

...back in the 1970s in rural Changhua (Taiwan), as kids we'd chase foreigners (usually a priest or missionary) and harass them unless if they gave us candy. If they didn't bribe us with candy, we'd throw rocks at them. When the parents found out, we'd get a royal spanking. ;p

During elections, the candidates were not allowed to give cash away (no bribes for votes!), but they were allowed to give inexpensive gifts such as small packets of salt, sugar, MSG, etc. As kids we'd chase after those election trucks with goodies and loot them. If they chased us away we'd fill small plastic bags with water and water bomb them. Good times.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on November 18th, 2019, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eorthisio
Freshman Poster

Post by Eorthisio »

Chinese people are fairly good at pointing out the obvious, when they see you walking down the street they will tell their friends "Look! A laowai!" and then debate how where you come from and how fair or dark is your skin and such things.

Personally it does not disturb me at all, when a Chinese yells at me "Helloooooowwwwwwwwww~~~~~~~!!!!!!!" I just answer "'sup bro?" and keep walking.

When a Chinese point/stare at me while being "uhhhhh laowai" I do the same with a "uhhhhh zhonguoren", they become incredibly frustrated and I laugh my arse off.

If some Chinese dude tries to play "THE man" with me in front of his girlfriend, I first make sure that there is no camera around and kick his ass before walking away, I am 1.95 tall and weight 105kg and it's almost only muscles, usually this is enough to discourage Chinese dudes to try to mess with me, otherwise I can take any of them no efforts. I wouldn't want to be recorded and creating another anti-laowai scandal on CCTV.
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

When in Shenyang I didn't mind the random hellos.

My favorite moments were when girls would call me "hao kan" handsome while walking by.

Or if I was at a bar, some really hot girls would eyeball the hell out of me, but I never made a move, I figured a hot girl sitting alone at the bar..come on...bar girls must be street worker or paid to get your attention, or I could have just been projecting.

By far the best moment was when this 19 year old bar worker was poking at my right pec 3 or 4 times, she seemed to think it was fake hahaha
kiwibloke
Freshman Poster

Expat stress

Post by kiwibloke »

Stress?? I had the opposite experience. I lived in a 3rd tier city (Nanchang, capital of Jiangxi, South East China) for a year. Although I heard "laowai" whispered a lot, and the odd idiot yelling "hello", this never bothered me. I generally found China very welcoming. In fact I miss it a lot, especially the buzz of street life and the many beautiful women.