Western Newbies to Philippines may like this guy's YouTube

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Western Newbies to Philippines may like this guy's YouTube

Post by Mr S »

He really has a hard on for the Philippines. However, there are lots of decent and reliable info though for newbies to PI or considering traveling there, although they generally take an extreme positive spin to things.

But considering his 'Guapo' or 'pogi' looks and youngish age, he probably gets slobbered over by most girls & guys in which ever Asian country he visits. So that probably attributes to his overly positive spin on most things he talks about.

Examples:

Main Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/poolboyinla
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

This guy is a buffoon. I saw 2 of his videos and that's all I could stomache. He's like every white guy in asia stereotype wrapped into one.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

That's why he is popular with the average Filipino and naive European descended Westerner who doesn't have much or any experience traveling in the Philippines.

Much of his info is still decent if you can overcome the way he presents it, if that bothers one. Remember most of the posters on this HA forum are of the extreme ends of the socially accepted norm spectrum, so people like him have to appeal to a mass majority of unconscious, easy influenced, noncritical viewers, which tends to make the overall message appear silly in many ways or overly trite to people like us.

It's like how international and domestic fast food chains become popular, catering to the largest denominator but in actuality their food isn't usually anything to write home about if one is interested in particular tastes and not general blandness that appeals to the largest demographic of useless eaters.

Winston and him would probably get along okay on a superficial level at least, they seem to both have dreams of being an international actor and traveler, socializing with random people all over the place, being friendly and upbeat and all that.

I could never pull off his attitude on a regular basis, but he seems to have found a way or incorporated it into his everyday demeanor. If he wants to look at the world that way all the time, more power to him. As long as it isn't forced upon me to do the same, I could care less how he is a walking stereotype cliche of the starry-eyed single white Western male loving the Philippines to the point of white-washing, excusing or over simplifying the many darker sides of it as well.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

He shared some good information and put the Philippines in a good light IMO. He was realistic in the 2nd video as well when he talked about the difficulties of moving to the Philippines.

I was only in the Philippines for less than one month, but I can easily see the challenges of living there. For me, the biggest challenge is financial...which is the challenge with moving abroad period.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Repatriate wrote:This guy is a buffoon. I saw 2 of his videos and that's all I could stomache. He's like every white guy in asia stereotype wrapped into one.
+1

Buffoon he is...Lord, what an arse.
He well illustrates why I avoid American men in the Philippines...so many of them
ape around like idiotic baboons.
FlyingMoose
Freshman Poster

Post by FlyingMoose »

Why does everyone hate the guy?

I see the Philippines as a place that you can be yourself without being made fun of, instead of America, where you're afraid of being sociable because people will make fun of you if you don't do it just right, or accidentally make some kind of sexual innuendo (like ever using the word "hard"). Or you can actually talk to women without being called a creeper.

I think the buffoons are the guys that expect it to be the same as America, who get upset because things don't work the same way, and who don't want to go with the flow but instead insist that they're right and the locals are wrong.

I'm not saying I'd do all the same things he does, and I'm sure he hams it up quite a bit for the videos, but he seems to "get" the vibe, and the calmness, instead of being stressed out all the time like everyone in America.

I would say that the fact that you feel you need to call someone a buffoon proves that you don't get it. If you want to enjoy the Philippines, you need to accept that you don't need to push to feel superior to other people all the time.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Repatriate wrote:This guy is a buffoon. I saw 2 of his videos and that's all I could stomache. He's like every white guy in asia stereotype wrapped into one.
Well maybe you should watch the one where his apartment get's burglarized and he losses laptops and cameras.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

His videos look professional. Is he selling something?
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

I gotta say one thing. Somehow, this guy inspires me to learn Tagalog. He's kinda got a bit of Janet Hsieh in him, everything's positive (except of course the theft). And he's right, the kids there seem happier and friendlier than anywhere else I've seen.
Anthropolonerd
Freshman Poster

Post by Anthropolonerd »

This guy gives me serial killer/rapist vibes.

Also that 2nd video wtf lol. I would have serious trouble not smacking those girls in the face. I mean I can understand some sort of fetish for white dudes, but to outright prefer them in general over your own kind? That's pretty low. Also more creep vibes from that guy...

"I like white guys!"
"good answer! "

What a toolbox.
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

I didn't find a single girl attractive that he interviewed.

That guy is in good shape, I'm curious how attractive his GF's tend to be
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Rock wrote:
Well maybe you should watch the one where his apartment get's burglarized and he losses laptops and cameras.
I went back and saw that video and I found it more sad and amusing than anything else. What kind of rank amateur traveller and unstreet wise person leaves their condo keys to the house/reception lady in a third world city with a super high crime index like manila? Not to mention leaving laptops and cameras strewn about so anyone could casually walk in and start pilfering stuff.

It's beyond stupid.

This guy is a moron and is exactly the type of expat I go out of my way to avoid. The combination of culture naivetey and first world semi entitlement makes me want to punt him in the face.