Modern Software Sucks

Discuss science and technology topics here.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:PS: HEY MAN! You could have said VB.NET in lieu of mentioning C# as being so high-level that geniuses aren't required. Arsehole. LOL
:)

VB.NET compiles into the same virtual machine language as C#. C# is more widespread than VB.NET, though. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft decided to discontinue it at some point, as they did with J# in 2007.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Functional programming is an interesting idea, and not new. Clojure just seems to combine functional programming with Lisp, I don't see anything very new here. Scala is a horror, an example of everything wrong with modern programming. If is needlessly complicated and includes every fashionable programming concept. I looked at C# when it came out and it seemed the result of an argument between Gosling and another programmer about Java design. This other programmer went on the make C#. In the arguments, I agreed with Gosling. Java is close to perfect for a statically typed language, just as C is close to perfect for a low level language. Neither language is stale, they are just classics now.

If I had to pick a recent innovation that I respect, it would be Google's MapReduce. That is the type of simple innovative idea that impresses me.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

fschmidt wrote:Functional programming is an interesting idea, and not new. Clojure just seems to combine functional programming with Lisp, I don't see anything very new here. Scala is a horror, an example of everything wrong with modern programming. If is needlessly complicated and includes every fashionable programming concept. I looked at C# when it came out and it seemed the result of an argument between Gosling and another programmer about Java design. This other programmer went on the make C#. In the arguments, I agreed with Gosling. Java is close to perfect for a statically typed language, just as C is close to perfect for a low level language. Neither language is stale, they are just classics now.

If I had to pick a recent innovation that I respect, it would be Google's MapReduce. That is the type of simple innovative idea that impresses me.
LOL you can call Java a classic in the same sense a sports car from the 70s or 80s is a "classic". Still a great ride, but if you use it often enough you'll miss all the bells and whistles of a modern car and...no modding, no spares :)
C++ had a revival in the next couple of years. I am re-learning it, together with STL/Boost and AMP. My daily bread language, and the one that literally earns me the daily bread, remains C#.

MapReduce is quite a neat idea, but I wouldn't call it a language. It's a framework, and emergent feature of distributed computing. I have written some distributed computing/node-based computing middleware in my previous 3 jobs, and MapReduce is something that comes out of the way you connect components and let the data flow.

Nice to be talking software engineering on HA :)
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

publicduende wrote:
E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:PS: HEY MAN! You could have said VB.NET in lieu of mentioning C# as being so high-level that geniuses aren't required. Arsehole. LOL

VB.NET compiles into the same virtual machine language as C#. C# is more widespread than VB.NET, though. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft decided to discontinue it at some point, as they did with J# in 2007.
Whoa. Do not insult my intelligence. lol You literally mirrored (and clustered lol lol) my response using C# and for those that only can replicate visuals without knowing what they actually they are, then I'm looking like a charlatan. Entiendes??? lol lol lol

You had the nerve to talk about how VB.NET compiles into MS IL via the MS CLR like I was devoid of that knowledge?? You really think that I only know about C# syntax without knowing the APIs and lower-level functionality that make it tick?? In my prior response, I took it there with assembly language which literally loads and extracts from addresses in memory address spaces so there. Ugh you. lol

FYI, before (and if) VB.NET becomes defunct, F# would probably go out the window first since MS hasn't really developed on it. The whole .NET Framework is built off of C# antibodies anyway!!!

Actually, I'm shocked that Silverlight went out the door (due to the advent of HTML 5 superior octet-stream (BLOB media) functionality), even though it's still used for Windows Surface and some Windows Phone programming. I'm glad XAML (WPF.NET) is still around, which is the superset of Silverlight. DON'T YOU F.UCKING SAY THAT SILVERLIGHT CAME FROM XAML/WPF.NET when I already said it in different words. #PissingContest really, sir???

Man, you better work on that backstroke so you can keep your Colombiana at your hipside, sir - instead of trying to make me spread my cheeks going in on me. #WithAllDueRespect :-P
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
publicduende wrote:

Whoa. Do not insult my intelligence. lol You literally mirrored (and clustered lol lol) my response using C# and for those that only can replicate visuals without knowing what they actually they are, then I'm looking like a charlatan. Entiendes??? lol lol lol

You had the nerve to talk about how VB.NET compiles into MS IL via the MS CLR like I was devoid of that knowledge?? You really think that I only know about C# syntax without knowing the APIs and lower-level functionality that make it tick?? In my prior response, I took it there with assembly language which literally loads and extracts from addresses in memory address spaces so there. Ugh you. lol

FYI, before (and if) VB.NET becomes defunct, F# would probably go out the window first since MS hasn't really developed on it. The whole .NET Framework is built off of C# antibodies anyway!!!

Actually, I'm shocked that Silverlight went out the door (due to the advent of HTML 5 superior octet-stream (BLOB media) functionality), even though it's still used for Windows Surface and some Windows Phone programming. I'm glad XAML (WPF.NET) is still around, which is the superset of Silverlight. DON'T YOU F.UCKING SAY THAT SILVERLIGHT CAME FROM XAML/WPF.NET when I already said it in different words. #PissingContest really, sir???

Man, you better work on that backstroke so you can keep your Colombiana at your hipside, sir - instead of trying to make me spread my cheeks going in on me. #WithAllDueRespect :-P
Man, did you just smoke a USB cable?! :)

I didn't want to insult or outdo you, or anything. I just stated a simple (technical) fact as I don't know how much you know about .NET, although I do remember you saying you had some Sharepoint training. If anything we agree, as we said the same things. Not a crime to reinstate them. Otherwise this forum would contain 10% of the contents it has now :)

I have enough familiarity with the backstroke, gracias por preguntar jefe. After a few years, I guess there are more important things needed to keep her at my hipside, I guess... Sorry if you felt pissed off, your cheeks are safe with me. Next time you go ahead with all things XAML, CLR and don't forget the concurrent garbage collection and renewing that lease on the WCF channel.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

publicduende wrote:
E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
publicduende wrote:

Man, did you just smoke a USB cable?! :)

I didn't want to insult or outdo you, or anything. I just stated a simple (technical) fact as I don't know how much you know about .NET, although I do remember you saying you had some Sharepoint training. If anything we agree, as we said the same things. Not a crime to reinstate them. Otherwise this forum would contain 10% of the contents it has now :)

I have enough familiarity with the backstroke, gracias por preguntar jefe. After a few years, I guess there are more important things needed to keep her at my hipside, I guess... Sorry if you felt pissed off, your cheeks are safe with me. Next time you go ahead with all things XAML, CLR and don't forget the concurrent garbage collection and renewing that lease on the WCF channel.
You didn't piss me off. I was just being an overzealous prick on purpose. Didn't you see the "LOL"'s in my last response??? lol Furthermore, I agree with your latest response. lol!!
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

...I work at a java shop.

For those who might be interested, JavaOne 2013 videos:
http://parleys.com/channel/5243df06e4b0 ... ate=public
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »