There is a serious problem with content on this forum

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Rich
Freshman Poster

Post by Rich »

I'm new here as well. So far my posts have been pretty insipid but sooner or later I'm bound to offend someone. Zboy1, just to be on the safe side, I suggest I be banned.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Rich wrote:I'm new here as well. So far my posts have been pretty insipid but sooner or later I'm bound to offend someone. Zboy1, just to be on the safe side, I suggest I be banned.
Well..this isn't my idea to do all this! This forum gets so many whiners about how 'we should ban this person or that person' or 'the quality of the posts has gone down,' or 'we need to get rid of free speech to make the forum better' complaints that I get sick of it after a while, to be honest....
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:I agree that the quality has gone WAY down. I rarely wish to post on this forum at this point.

There are two extremes that make it unbearable.

The first extreme is the Cornfed "Jews stir up blacks to ruin it for white men so they both should be exterminated."

The second extreme is Myfirsttruelove's "I'm a black Aspergers kind of guy so where in the world would women want to rip off my clothes and immediately have sex with me because of my skin color."

I do stop by every week or so, but the quality of topics has plummeted.
What killed it for me is the realization that a good poster can't help anyone. It's like the bickering and fighting is what gets traffic and a good post on information about how to go and be Happier Abroad simply disappears under several racial debates and whining about American Women threads. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of members don't even see a good post, because it is so far down the list by the time they arrive. This also means they are hard to find for those who want to read that stuff instead of the next jew bashing contest.

Mr Natural wrote:Again, maybe I skipped over those posts or wasn't interested in cases you are talking about. So again, examples please?

A great example would be Will N. Dowd's great and detailed trip report which was met with such hate and vitriol he started deleting it. I didn't even get to finish it before it started disappearing out from under me. I also see many of Eurobrat's posts have become "..." now. I suppose mine will soon go that way too.
zboy1 wrote: Well..this isn't my idea to do all this! This forum gets so many whiners about how 'we should ban this person or that person' or 'the quality of the posts has gone down,' or 'we need to get rid of free speech to make the forum better' complaints that I get sick of it after a while, to be honest....
The problem is that the forum had free speech and free thinking BEFORE, and it wasn't nearly as pathetic as it is currently. What happened to Globetrotter, Adama, EuroBrat, AiB, Phx Sosa, JamaicaninChina? I am sure there are many other great posters I am forgetting. Just go back and look at 2010 an 2011 era. There was great stuff here. It seems even Lad doesn't post as much as he used to, and Winston has to resort to gimmicks to get his revenue coming in.

As a long time poster, since maybe 2007, it seems I can no longer find anything of use to me on here, and my 6 years abroad experience is of no use to anyone else. Maybe that's the way it should be. Once you have achieved Happier Abroad, you do it, rather than read and write about it.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 3rd, 2020, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

This forum has gone from a place with good helpful advice on how to meet women abroad to a place where arrogant a$%holes come to brag, put others down or start racist flame wars. Some posters here want to turn Happy Abroad into PUAHate, which is the most depressing, sickening forum on the internet. If this is the way it is going to be from now on I'm leaving too.
***JP***
Freshman Poster

Post by ***JP*** »

Like others have said here. I miss the sense of brotherhood that we all had and the very thing that united us as men seeking an alternative to the crappy dating scene in the west. Now this website has become a bash fest from racism to even trolls. I honestly haven't posted more reports about my life abroad for the very same reason others haven't posted because of the constant trolling here.

I'm also very tired of people coming here and even promoting sex tourism. When I joined this site the main message was to find something meaningful abroad. Not for us to go for sex tourism to ruin the image of good guys who actually want to find something very meaningful in life.
Last edited by ***JP*** on February 16th, 2014, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Okay, looks like HA'ers have spoken and want four members removed from the forum: ThePrimeBait, Cornfed, Mr.Darcy and MyFirstTrueLove.

I actually think all four of them are decent posters who bring some very interesting perspectives to the forum, but I'm tired of the whining fest going on here lately--and all the pm messages complaining about them! So, to the three members: it's not me that wants you guys banned; it's the rest of the HA community that wants you guys gone. Sorry...it's not my choice to do this. ...
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

zboy1 wrote:Okay, looks like HA'ers have spoken and want four members removed from the forum: ThePrimeBait, Cornfed, Mr.Darcy and MyFirstTrueLove.

I actually think all four of them are decent posters who bring some very interesting perspectives to the forum, but I'm tired of the whining fest going on here lately--and all the pm messages complaining about them! So, to the three members: it's not me that wants you guys banned; it's the rest of the HA community that wants you guys gone. Sorry...it's not my choice to do this. ...
Well you could ban the biggest troublemaker of them all - but unfortunately he owns the place ;)
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

In addition to banning those members whom the members voted on, I suggest that the mods employ as thread-locking (or deleting) policy on all the threads that are just childish and asinine because rest-assured, some of these guys will be back under different names.

If I read another "Which country has women who like polka dot men with cowboy hats and hip hop gold teeth?" thread I'm going to puke.

Happier Abroad should be more than just finding people you want to screw easily. It is about discovering cultures, foods, investment opportunities, personal freedom, fulfilling relationships and a million other things apart from quick and easy sex. Hopefully your changes will get us back to that.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

zboy1 wrote:Okay, looks like HA'ers have spoken and want four members removed from the forum: ThePrimeBait, Cornfed, Mr.Darcy and MyFirstTrueLove.

If you do it, then it is your choice. As Exodus 23:2 says "You shall not follow the majority for evil". The Torah opposes democracy, and so do I.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

IMHO some of the people who got banned clearly crossed a line. Some of them WERE insulting people or at least severly disprespecting others.

Look at this for example:
BTW,deasil875 I could care less if some filipino midget monkey lookalikes give you play,I'm glad white men have somewhere in the world to go to and leverage their status/money.even if its lower quality women...
You did the right thing zboy.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

davewe wrote:

Well you could ban the biggest troublemaker of them all - but unfortunately he owns the place ;)
This.^

This is the main reason why I won't post or contribute anymore. Even though Zboy did the right thing removing those guys, it wont matter if Winston undoes the bans and continues to undermine the integrity and mission of HA. I won't ever demand apologies from Winston or anyone else for that matter, but if he is willing to change the way he conducts himself, then I may even reconsider if Zboy continues to make these kinds of improvements. I have advised Winston a few different times, that he needs to take a step back and let his best and brightest HAers take the lead. He needs to fall back into a more executive leadership role and get out of the weeds. It won't work if he is constantly being a demagogue and creating fodder for his/our enemies. One can even say that the trolling got 100 times worse right after he crossed the line. His actions embolded the "terrorists" and the forum looks 100% similar to PUAhate.com now.

We shall see.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:In addition to banning those members whom the members voted on, I suggest that the mods employ as thread-locking (or deleting) policy on all the threads that are just childish and asinine because rest-assured, some of these guys will be back under different names.

If I read another "Which country has women who like polka dot men with cowboy hats and hip hop gold teeth?" thread I'm going to puke.

Happier Abroad should be more than just finding people you want to screw easily. It is about discovering cultures, foods, investment opportunities, personal freedom, fulfilling relationships and a million other things apart from quick and easy sex. Hopefully your changes will get us back to that.
This is another huge huge issue. I pretty much begged Winston to delete certain threads just because of the damage it causes. He ignored me of course. These stinky Albatrosses will forever hang on the neck of this website for as long as they exist. That is not growth. That is not progress. I've said it before, the incredible gems of information are buried under tons of garbage. Nothing is indexed. Nothing is centralized. The time loss trying to find anything valuable in here creates the incentive the trolls and losers needed to constantly re-create the same 5 threads every single week.

I know Zboy is busy on a personal level, but someone needs to clean up this mess. The site cannot move forward with trash all over the floor after a this 8 month long troll party.
Anthropolonerd
Freshman Poster

Post by Anthropolonerd »

Sorry but you really don't sound qualified to be a moderator of any sort. This sort of jelly-spinedness is just sad, take some responsibility for your actions.

Edit: I'm not sorry to see those guys go btw, they're some of the most intense weirdos I've seen even on the internets. I hope the forum can become more on-topic again.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Re: There is a serious problem with content on this forum

Post by Jackal »

deasil875 wrote:I refuse to post or even share my trip reports if they are going to be met with ridicule, trolling, and diminishing vitriol.
That's reasonable. I don't read this forum much anymore, so I'm not familiar with what's been happening here lately, but this forum does always seem to be a wild, strange, backwater part of the internet--which is sometimes part of its charm. It could possibly be improved with stricter moderation, but Winston will never do that.

People who are frustrated with this site could always start a similar forum of their own which would have better moderation. People could also just not reply to the really stupid or racist threads and then they would just sink to the bottom instead of turning into multi-page virtual soap operas. If most members would only reply to threads which don't suck, then this site would partially organize itself.