25yo from Russia living in the U.S.

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
Sergey
Freshman Poster

25yo from Russia living in the U.S.

Post by Sergey »

Hello everyone,

I have posted in this forum a few times recently but didn't realize that there is a section for introducing oneself. Anyway, my name is Sergey, I'm 25 year old. I was born and raised in Siberia, Russia. When I was 19, a friend of mine suggested that we travel to the U.S. to make some money and improve our English and so we did. 6 years later, I'm still here. I graduated from a college and found a pretty good job in a small college town in Nebraska.

I've been single for a year and it sucks. What sucks more is that there aren't many decent females (in terms of looks and personality) around here and I'm not willing to settle for someone I don't like. There is an easy solution as I can easily go back to my country but I don't like the cold weather. Me and my friend are going to the Philippines in March. If I like the country, I even consider moving there (may be next year) to study for a Master's degree.

Also, if I stay in the U.S. for 7 more years, I can apply for a citizenship. Not sure if it's worth it at this point though, but having dual citizenship won't hurt at all. I thought about applying for a permanent residency in other countries, such as Australia, New Zealand, Canada and others. I work in IT so that shouldn't be too difficult. Only wish that the U.S. immigration system wasn't so f..d up...

Why the Philippines? I only speak English and Russian so Latin America would be more difficult now. I don't think I would want to live in Asia for more than a few years, so I'm going to learn some Spanish before moving somewhere else. I'm also 5' 7" and don't want my girl/girls to be taller than me.
nicho12
Freshman Poster

Re: 25yo from Russia living in the U.S.

Post by nicho12 »

Sergey wrote:Hello everyone,

I have posted in this forum a few times recently but didn't realize that there is a section for introducing oneself. Anyway, my name is Sergey, I'm 25 year old. I was born and raised in Siberia, Russia. When I was 19, a friend of mine suggested that we travel to the U.S. to make some money and improve our English and so we did. 6 years later, I'm still here. I graduated from a college and found a pretty good job in a small college town in Nebraska.

I've been single for a year and it sucks. What sucks more is that there aren't many decent females (in terms of looks and personality) around here and I'm not willing to settle for someone I don't like. There is an easy solution as I can easily go back to my country but I don't like the cold weather. Me and my friend are going to the Philippines in March. If I like the country, I even consider moving there (may be next year) to study for a Master's degree.

Also, if I stay in the U.S. for 7 more years, I can apply for a citizenship. Not sure if it's worth it at this point though, but having dual citizenship won't hurt at all. I thought about applying for a permanent residency in other countries, such as Australia, New Zealand, Canada and others. I work in IT so that shouldn't be too difficult. Only wish that the U.S. immigration system wasn't so f..d up...

Why the Philippines? I only speak English and Russian so Latin America would be more difficult now. I don't think I would want to live in Asia for more than a few years, so I'm going to learn some Spanish before moving somewhere else. I'm also 5' 7" and don't want my girl/girls to be taller than me.
Do you have a greencard?
Sergey
Freshman Poster

Post by Sergey »

No, but I can apply for one through my employer. It takes at least two years and I'll get stuck in Nebraska for as long as it takes.
nicho12
Freshman Poster

Post by nicho12 »

Sergey wrote:No, but I can apply for one through my employer. It takes at least two years and I'll get stuck in Nebraska for as long as it takes.
Actually, you can't even tell how long it will take, I know some people who've been waiting for 8 years, I'm in the same boat but am on H1B visa, am trying to either get a greencard or apply for permanent residency in Canada. Am also in I.T and am also 25 years old and am also a foreigner, In canada, it takes less than a year if you have north american working experience
somedude
Freshman Poster

Post by somedude »

Sorry to hear you're stuck in Nebraska... that's a lonely part of the country, well actually most of the midwest is heh

In the interim maybe check out Austin TX? Lots of IT there, game development companies etc. I've always read that it's a somewhat decent place for singles.
---

SD
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Welcome Sergey, glad you found our forum. It must be a complete shock to go from living in Russia where the women are thin, beautiful and friendly, to living in America where the women are fat, ugly and unfriendly! :lol:

Checking out the Philippines is a good idea, it would sure beat the USA in terms of dating and meeting women.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
PeterAndrewNolan
Experienced Poster

Re: 25yo from Russia living in the U.S.

Post by PeterAndrewNolan »

Sergey,
don't bother with all those anglo countries you mentioned.....they are horrible places and the women are worse. I actually left the west and settled in Germany.

As a russian you can easily get to settle in germany or another eastern european country. Going from Russia to the USA makes no sense at all....talking about jumping into the cesspool.
Feel free to check out my blog:Click ME!
Pinaylover
Freshman Poster

Post by Pinaylover »

somedude wrote:Sorry to hear you're stuck in Nebraska... that's a lonely part of the country, well actually most of the midwest is heh

In the interim maybe check out Austin TX? Lots of IT there, game development companies etc. I've always read that it's a somewhat decent place for singles.
I live in Austin... Please stop moving here!
Sergey
Freshman Poster

Post by Sergey »

Peter,
I came here for better job opportunities, not to find a girlfriend. I had a Russian girlfriend for almost four years but we broke up a year ago. I considered going to Germany because I could study there in English almost for free. Is it much better than the U.S. in terms of meeting new people and hooking up with women?

PinayLover, I'm weird so Austin wouldn't mind me :)