Rock's recent trip to Jamaica (to be posted in installments)

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
polya
Junior Poster

Post by polya »

Wow, what a thorough report! I totally agree about "safety" and NOT taking taxis you find on the street outside clubs etc. I got horribly ripped off in Eastern Europe and now I boycott taxis and won't usually go out unless I can take public transport.

Even in San Franscisco you have to be careful - I was walking from the metro with a suitcase to my hotel on Market st and local black men wanted to carry it so I'd tip them, but I'm just too scared of strangers so I said "NO"
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

polya wrote:Wow, what a thorough report! I totally agree about "safety" and NOT taking taxis you find on the street outside clubs etc. I got horribly ripped off in Eastern Europe and now I boycott taxis and won't usually go out unless I can take public transport.

Even in San Franscisco you have to be careful - I was walking from the metro with a suitcase to my hotel on Market st and local black men wanted to carry it so I'd tip them, but I'm just too scared of strangers so I said "NO"
Wow, funny you mention that. Cus on my way back to Asia, I stopped for 3 days in San Francisco to break up the trip. And I found a budget place kind of the fringes of Union Square area/periphery (a very nice distrit) and Tenderloin (a very bad area). So when I got out of Powell St. BART, some local black guy started walking with me and trying to inquire where I wanted to go. I was polite but told him I knew my way. Of course it ended with him asking if I could help him out even though he was decently dressed and not one of the more obvious desperate types around there.

For the next couple days, whenever I would walk in some parts of that area, I got approached more by beggars and opportunists than I ever did when I was in Jamaica.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Shopping Areas and Downtown Mobay
I used to complain about the shopping and convenience in Philippines. But it's light years ahead of Jamaica. The biggest complexes I saw in cities like Mobay and Ocho Rios were tiny little plazas with a few shops and services. Supermarkets are small, poorly stocked, offer few choices, but at high prices. Internet cafes are rare. And things shut down soon after sunset. At night, it seems the only places open are strip clubs, bars, and the odd eatery. One end of hip strip has a Burger King which I think stays open till 10 or 11.

Kingston is probably the only place on the island with any larger modern style shopping plazas and maybe even a few chain stores. But basically, if USA is a shopping paradise as I've said before, Jamaica is about as far to the opposite end of the spectrum as you can go. Only place worse I can think of right off the bat is impoverished Haiti.

However, downtown scene can still be vibrant and interesting to walk about in and just observe.

Here's a vid I shot at the downtown market

Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Rural mountain area approaching Mandeville

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjn9abCs ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

See even though Rock seemingly didn't get laid in Jamaica, at least he took pics and didn't talk about "only going but so far" with a girl and refuses and/or cannot speak in the foreign land's tongue. That's what pissed me off about Hero's DR "report" post from yesterday.

Now if Rock were to merely complain about not scoring yet too proud to do P4P in a country that he doesn't really want to speak that country's language, then I'd too would feel disappointed at Rock, too.

Yes English is pervasive in Jamaica, but at least he spoke a little Patois to try to let them know he's trying to respect their culture.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

TheLegendSeeker wrote:.....I like curvy, voluptuous women like Latinas and not skinny like most Asians. You were right I'm not a fan of women who look like the ones in the photos, especially in the distressing video.

You're trying to make your best friend, sir. That b.itch is mad hot!!!
polya
Junior Poster

Post by polya »

Rock wrote:
polya wrote:Wow, what a thorough report! I totally agree about "safety" and NOT taking taxis you find on the street outside clubs etc. I got horribly ripped off in Eastern Europe and now I boycott taxis and won't usually go out unless I can take public transport.

Wow, funny you mention that. Cus on my way back to Asia, I stopped for 3 days in San Francisco to break up the trip. And I found a budget place kind of the fringes of Union Square area/periphery (a very nice distrit) and Tenderloin (a very bad area). So when I got out of Powell St. BART, some local black guy started walking with me and trying to inquire where I wanted to go. I was polite but told him I knew my way. Of course it ended with him asking if I could help him out even though he was decently dressed and not one of the more obvious desperate types around there.

For the next couple days, whenever I would walk in some parts of that area, I got approached more by beggars and opportunists than I ever did when I was in Jamaica.
You're right about the number of beggars in the USA now - If anyone talks to you at all on the street it's usually an angle to "help them out..." IMO.
I like your photos in the restaurant and then looking out the barred window to all the madness on the street. I like the red broadband shop with that "hoareish" looking woman standing on the street too!
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Jamaica vs. Haiti - Back of the Envelope Comparison Plus Images

One way to better understand a country is to compare and contrast it with other countries, especially countries which in some ways might seem similar on the surface. Haiti is geographically near Jamaica and it's population is overwhelmingly descended from the same general areas of Africa.

(Jamaica vs. Haiti)

Population (3 mn vs. 10 mn)
Race / Ethnicity (overwhelmingly W. African descendants from various tribes vs. same)
GDP per head nominal / PPP (5,358 / 8,916 vs. 759 / 1,229)
Below poverty (17% vs. 80%)
Annual visitors divided by population (102% vs. 4%)
Fertility live births per woman (2.4 vs. 3.5)
Life expectancy (73.4 years vs. 62.9 years)
Infant mortality deaths per 1,000 births (14 vs. 52)
Intentional annual homicide rate per 100,000 (41 vs. 7)

Figures suggest that Haiti is a much more dire, desperate, and impoverished country than Jamaica. View on the ground supports that IMO. Judge yourself from images posted below.

Most surprising data point is the intentional homicide rate in Haiti is dramatically lower than it is in Jamaica, like just over one sixth. Often, it seems that the most violent countries are not the absolute poorest. For example, South Africa is statistically one of the most violent African countries for civilian murders and assaults but is also one of the top there in terms of GDP per head. However, I would say the real tourist areas of Jamaica feel somewhat safer to walk in at night than even the best area (Petionville) of Port Au Prince (PAP).

Subjectively, my impression of Haiti is that it's more backward, conservative, suspicious of outsiders, introverted, serious, and superstitious than is Jamaica. It seems harder to interact with the locals in Haiti even though they can be quite nice. I remember on one tap-tap (their version of jeepney) ride, the driver 'forgot' to give me the tiny amount of change due to me. I was gonna let it ride but a local lady near me scolded the driver and made sure he gave it in full.

It seems much less likely as a tourist in Haiti that you will encounter touts, overly outgoing people who wanna befriend you, and even beggars than in Jamaica.

Haiti 'feels' more like Africa to me than does Jamaica.

Some Haitians seemed to have a more pure and innocent look in their eyes than their Jamaica counterparts.

Haiti has almost no real tourism vs. an abundance in Jamaica.

In Haiti, language is a real barrier for most. Only ones with some advantage are French speakers. But even then, only 5-10% of population speaks halfway decent French in everyday life use almost all French Creole. In contrast, Jamaica has almost negligible language barrier for fluent English speakers.

Haiti seems to have very little in the way of nightlife. Petionville section of PAP has 2 or 3 small clubs popular with a handful of locals and the expat crowd. Thanks to UN and NGOs who came in great numbers after earthquake, prices are pretty high.

Hotels too are relatively expensive, like twice the price of DR for lower quality. I paid nearly US$70 a night for a decent but non-A/C place in Petionville. There is another nearby hotel which is a bit nicer and rates are over $100 plus an additional $20 surcharge if you want A/C use in your room. But taxi transport is a lot cheaper in Haiti and tap tap's are priced even cheaper than jeepneys if you are willing to ride in one.

Here are some images and vids I took in Haiti late 2011, mostly in PAP area.

Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Rock, I really have to thank you for posting those Haiti pictures and videos. Absolutely enthralling and a totally different world from most of Latin America and SE Asia. It's got that Africa feel.

Keep us posted, and I'll post some of my own stuff in the near future too.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Falcon wrote:Rock, I really have to thank you for posting those Haiti pictures and videos. Absolutely enthralling and a totally different world from most of Latin America and SE Asia. It's got that Africa feel.

Keep us posted, and I'll post some of my own stuff in the near future too.
Thanks so much Falcon. I really had thought it was a wasted effort posting this here until I saw your post. I'm glad you can appreciate such off-beat cultural experiences just as I do.
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

Cool pics Rock, Jamaica looks a lot like some parts of my country, now I miss home :oops: Although I'm not black I would just fit right in, similar accent, similar culture, same foods. 8)
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re:

Post by Jester »

Rock wrote:
Didnt see this post till now.

Thanks.

Yeah I have learned directly from AA bros in the USSA, and also have learned once again, the hard way, here in Mexico:

f**k beggars.

The REAL hungry people are too hungry, too timid too much in despair, to panhandle. That beggar, that panhandler, that guy or gal in need, that desperate person with the story -- are worthless pieces of shit. Addicts, or con artists at best.

I am speaking as a Bible-believing Christian. f**k street beggars. If you want money, and you live in a f***ing city, wash someone's f***ing car. It's not that hard to do. (And yes, I have done it.)

The Black guy running his mouth to obtain a little donation, could put that same jaw-energy to work in a real trade. And will, when you stop feeding his habit.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Banano
Veteran Poster

Re: Rock's recent trip to Jamaica (to be posted in installme

Post by Banano »

I missed this post as well

Rock

Can you sum up your carribean trip without going too deep into details.

Which countries are the best for girls and how easy are they compared to SEAs?
How many have you scored?dont count p4p
How approachable are women, can you just stop em in the street and chat them up?get numbers and screw later on
Do they prefer 1st world cock over local?
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Banano wrote:I missed this post as well

Rock

Can you sum up your carribean trip without going too deep into details.

Which countries are the best for girls and how easy are they compared to SEAs?
How many have you scored?dont count p4p
How approachable are women, can you just stop em in the street and chat them up?get numbers and screw later on
Do they prefer 1st world cock over local?
I've only visited Haiti, DR, and Jamaica in that region so far. Cuba is at the top of my bucket list tho.

Girls in Jamaica and DR are generally quite approachable though sometimes the facial expressions of people in the former might deter you. Like anywhere, there is a subset of girls who feel more entitled and princess like. You may see those in certain upscale areas of Santo Domingo or Santiago in DR or a few parts of Kingston in Jamaica (mostly mixed race).

If you are American with no second language skills, Jamaica is gonna be the easiest. Cus you need decent Spanish for talking with over 90% of girls in DR unless you go the the few very upscale venues where people tend to be more snobby. And the Spanish in DR is harder to adjust to than that in Colombia, further from Mexican and/or Castilian and more slang filled. Kinda in E_Irrizary's ballpark lol.

But, I think most guys on here are gonna see more girls they like in DR than Jamaica. So you have to weigh that as well. With Jamaica, you pretty much need to appreciate at least some black American looking girls cus that's what 90% of em' look like IMO. DR is a mulatto paradise with much more varied looks and some amazing specimens. You see some locals who are very light carmel or at the extreme end, even white.

Haiti IMO is more difficult, at least in Petionville Port Au Prince. There seems to be more of a natural divide between locals and visiting foreigners. They have their own language (Haitian Creole) and only a small very educated minority (maybe 15%) speak good French. I'm not sure what percentage speak decent English but it's low too. Local Haitians are more conservative and less westernized than their counterparts in more prosperous Jamaica. So I think courting a girl in Haiti might take more effort, patience, and time. Plus, how are you gonna talk with her?

Hey I may be wrong on this. I've heard stories from in-country westerners about just picking-up girls off the street and having fun. But really, that's quasi prostitution. I mean, given the huge divide (cultural, language, economic, beliefs), what else could it be? With Jamaicans or even Dominicanas, you can use your personality and charm to seduce them. And you can have a conversation with them. Plus, many are not so desperate the way about everyone who's living in Haiti is.

I won't address the personal stuff.
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

Rock

it does sound like you didnt get laid in carribean, nothing wrong with admiting that, im not judging you.

Im assuming you are asian? Could it be the reason why you couldnt score as this negritas need big black banana.
As superficial as it sounds race matters and maybe carribean is not poosy paradise for asian guys